Baby On Thai Passport

Hi all,

My G/F is havig our baby later this year. After the birth I plan to have her come out to OZ again on a tourist visa. Looking at the forms again, it says that having a child on her passport means that a separate Visa application is not required.

Question? Can the baby be put on her Thai passport or would I have to get one for the baby?

Thank you

What you probably should do is to get your child an Australian passport by registering the birth at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, unless for some reason you don't want to. I don't know about the child not requiring a visa, but he/she won't need a visa if you register the birth and obtain an Australian passport as well as a Thai passport for the child.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/dual_citizenship/

• Like 1

What you probably should do is to get your child an Australian passport by registering the birth at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, unless for some reason you don't want to. I don't know about the child not requiring a visa, but he/she won't need a visa if you register the birth and obtain an Australian passport as well as a Thai passport for the child.

Thank you. To be honest I never even thought of this. That is why I asked the question and you gave me a very good answer. Problem solved.

What would be the justification for not registering your baby, fresh and blood, with the Australian Embassy? Either way, your baby needs a passport to travel to other countries.

My reply to the other response basically says it all. I would assume that this would assist in any application to bring my lady to OZ in the future as well. Yes?

@wonder6281,

I don't know how much it would help. When your g/f submits her visa application and she includes the baby, the immigration officials will ask "who is the father"? If she replies, you, and you being an Australian citizen, then they will ask her the next logical question. Why she or you did not register and get the baby an Australian passport?

How would you answer that question?

You really should not use a baby as a tool to get your girlfriend a visa. That's my opinion. You can do as you wish.

@wonder6281,

I don't know how much it would help. When your g/f submits her visa application and she includes the baby, the immigration officials will ask "who is the father"? If she replies, you, and you being an Australian citizen, then they will ask her the next logical question. Why she or you did not register and get the baby an Australian passport?

How would you answer that question?

You really should not use a baby as a tool to get your girlfriend a visa. That's my opinion. You can do as you wish.

You have me all wrong. I have already bought my G/F to Aus before, so getting her another Visa is not a problem. I was just going through the Visa application and noted it had a section

Who can you include in this application?

Only one passport-holder can apply on one form. You can include in your application any children on your passport who will be travelling with you. If another adult is included in your passport they should complete a separate application form.

My intial inquiry was how does one put a dependant child on the parents/mothers passport? I realise now that the baby will require his/her own passport both Thai and Aussie. It is no problem, the advice to get an Aussie passport was one I never thought of and now that I have received this advice, it is my intention to do so.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Edited by wonder6281

• 1 month later...

I wanted to re-open this because I have a question.

When my son is born and I want to register him at the Oz Embassy for his passport, what if his Birth Certificate doesn't state me as his father? I mean after reading some problems others are having because we are not married. Can I acheive this?

I recall advice on here saying that I should not let the Hospital do the registration, rather go to the Amphur with my lady and son and do the registration ourselves. I know the Hospital will provide a Birth Certificate (hopefully I am there and my name appears on it) but will this suffice to enable registration at the Oz embassy if my name is on it, or do I need proof of registration at the Amphur as well?

I just find it confusing. I might email the Oz embassy in Thailand as well, but in the interim any advice?

You should make sure that you are on the birth certificate. The hospital will provide you and your wife the forms, but usually you have to take them to the Amphur. You do not need to be married to appear on the birth certificate.

As a further point you should also get your child a Thai passport to avoid any future complications on entering and leaving Thailand.

Iain

You should make sure that you are on the birth certificate. The hospital will provide you and your wife the forms, but usually you have to take them to the Amphur. You do not need to be married to appear on the birth certificate.

As a further point you should also get your child a Thai passport to avoid any future complications on entering and leaving Thailand.

Iain

Thanks Iain,

My real concern which I raised last night in converstation with my girl is that if he is born before I arrive in August, she needs to be aware of me not being on the certificate. She said I will be!!!

Yes I plan to get him a passport ASAP because want to bring them both back here to OZ in October. My girl has been before, so the Visa thing is sorted.

Thank you for your response.

Mark

My real concern which I raised last night in converstation with my girl is that if he is born before I arrive in August, she needs to be aware of me not being on the certificate. She said I will be!!!

I have just been through this process daughter now has OZ citizenship by decent,however i was not at birth wife had a copy of my passport that was all they needed at hospital.

NB

I have just been through this process daughter now has OZ citizenship by decent,however i was not at birth wife had a copy of my passport that was all they needed at hospital.

NB

Do I need to have my name translated into Thai script for the birth certificate?

Edited by wonder6281

The Thai birth certificate is in Thai, so your name will indeed have to be translated to Thai script.

Note that if the baby is born in Thailand you will have to recognise the baby to become the legal father, since you are not married. You can try to do that together with your girl friend when you register the baby, but it probably will be necesarry to petition the court to become the legal fahter.

The Thai birth certificate is in Thai, so your name will indeed have to be translated to Thai script.

Note that if the baby is born in Thailand you will have to recognise the baby to become the legal father, since you are not married. You can try to do that together with your girl friend when you register the baby, but it probably will be necesarry to petition the court to become the legal fahter.

Marriage will sort this next year. Still waiting for the 280 days since the divorce went through.

Do I need to have my name translated into Thai script for the birth certificate?

They will take care of that for you,then you can have birth certificate translated to english

NB

Would be a good idea to have this done before so that there can be no mistake in the translation. Once the boy is born I don't plan on spending a lot of time chasing Government Departments before I take them both back to Oz.

Marriage will sort this next year. Still waiting for the 280 days since the divorce went through.

Will the child be born within 310 days of the divorce of the mother? If so, the child will be considered to be the legal child of the ex-husband. (section 1536 Thai civil code, family law section)

Will the child be born within 310 days of the divorce of the mother? If so, the child will be considered to be the legal child of the ex-husband. (section 1536 Thai civil code, family law section)

Yes the child will be born prior to the 310 days. Where can I get this information in english for me to read. This law seems ridiculous given the ex-husband and my lady have been separated for over 2 years and she will have been divorced for approx 270 days.

I would appreciate more info on this.

It says - "A child born during wedlock or within 310 days after the termination of the marriage is presumed to be the legitmate child of the husband or the man who used to be the husband, as the case maybe.

It also says " The provisions of paragraph one shall apply to a child born of a woman before the marriage has been announced void by the final judgement of the court, or within 310 days as from the date of such final judgement".

The read this to be contrary to each other - marriage announced void by the final judgement or within 310 days of the funal judgement. The final judgement has been made, so put an or 310 day caveat there?

It doesn't make sense to me. Can somebody provide a lamans explanation please?

Thai family law:

http://www.thailawonline.com/images/thaici...l%20code%20.pdf

A marriage can end in several ways: death of one of the spouses, divorce (you want to end the marriage) or annulment (the marriage was void, for example because one of the spouses was already married).

The article simply says that when the child was born during 310 days since the marriage ended the former husband is the legal father. The second part only confirms that is also the case when the marriage is declared void.

In this case the ex-husband can deny that he is the father, hat would open up the way for you to legitimize the child and become the legal father. See sections 1537 and 1539.

And have a look at section 1453, the court order allwoing you to get married (and become the legal father of the child).

Thai family law:

http://www.thailawonline.com/images/thaici...l%20code%20.pdf

A marriage can end in several ways: death of one of the spouses, divorce (you want to end the marriage) or annulment (the marriage was void, for example because one of the spouses was already married).

The article simply says that when the child was born during 310 days since the marriage ended the former husband is the legal father. The second part only confirms that is also the case when the marriage is declared void.

In this case the ex-husband can deny that he is the father, hat would open up the way for you to legitimize the child and become the legal father. See sections 1537 and 1539.

And have a look at section 1453, the court order allwoing you to get married (and become the legal father of the child).

Thank you Mario. It could be a funny situation if a husband does the bolt for ten years and returns to find out he has 4 or 5 children!

Quick answer, you cannot put a baby onto the mothers passport anymore you now need a seperate passport for the baby. We have just done it for our 12 week old daughter and it would be funny if it was not such a pain in the arse you have to give the height of the baby i tried explaining that she was taller than yesterday but not as tall as she will be tommorow but thai beauracracy is not a place for common sense, they even took the babys fingerprints

Mark

Quick answer, you cannot put a baby onto the mothers passport anymore you now need a seperate passport for the baby. We have just done it for our 12 week old daughter and it would be funny if it was not such a pain in the arse you have to give the height of the baby i tried explaining that she was taller than yesterday but not as tall as she will be tommorow but thai beauracracy is not a place for common sense, they even took the babys fingerprints

Mark

Mark

Another thing I have to go through. I thought my lady had the hard job giving birth!! There is a lot of paperwork to be done once my boy is born in mid august so that I can get him to Australia by late october. I definitely need to make a list and check it off as I go.

Another Mark

Edited by wonder6281

Mark

Mark

Another thing I have to go through. I thought my lady had the hard job giving birth!! There is a lot of paperwork to be done once my boy is born in mid august so that I can get him to Australia by late october. I definitely need to make a list and check it off as I go.

Another Mark

You are right mate, there is always one more hoop to chuck yourself through but still keeps life intresting

all the best

Mark

Gooday all

In the process of doing this myself

Plan to bring wife / son / sister to OZ

My wifes been before as my fiance so i guess i will have to get her name changed in passport a to not to creat any confusion as she has changed her ID card

At this point it doesn`t matter as to whether or not my son has a thai passport (but was hoping to add to mothers) as to minimise the aussie paper chase & add him to her visa

Reasons being at the moment : * Each Aussie visa Costs - $105 AUD

* Need to be aussie by descsent - (will do one for his future)

* Then have to apply for Passport - $300

* Thai passport easy to get - 1500 Bht

I think No:2 takes - 12 wks

Since reading that this can`t be done on a Thai Passport (I`m sure Auss Immigration says ok ) WEB SITE - WWW.IMMI.GOV.AU

The only other thing that pees me is the airlines wanting to sight your credit card at checkin. Makes it very hard for me to book flight for them from Auss unless i go into head office in bangkok to show that i am the holder.

Gooday all

In the process of doing this myself

Plan to bring wife / son / sister to OZ

My wifes been before as my fiance so i guess i will have to get her name changed in passport a to not to creat any confusion as she has changed her ID card

At this point it doesn`t matter as to whether or not my son has a thai passport (but was hoping to add to mothers) as to minimise the aussie paper chase & add him to her visa

Reasons being at the moment : * Each Aussie visa Costs - $105 AUD

* Need to be aussie by descsent - (will do one for his future)

* Then have to apply for Passport - $300

* Thai passport easy to get - 1500 Bht

I think No:2 takes - 12 wks

Since reading that this can`t be done on a Thai Passport (I`m sure Auss Immigration says ok ) WEB SITE - WWW.IMMI.GOV.AU

The only other thing that pees me is the airlines wanting to sight your credit card at checkin. Makes it very hard for me to book flight for them from Auss unless i go into head office in bangkok to show that i am the holder.

This is what I got back from Aussie Immi. Hope it helps.

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX,

The processing time for an Application for Registration of Australian Citizenship by Descent is 5-10 working days.

Only after the child has acquired Australian Citizenship can you then apply for the child's Australian passport. With an Australian Passport, the child no longer requires a Australia Visa to enter Australia.

Yours Sincerely,

Dear Mr XXXXXXX,

In regards to your email below, about applying for an Australian Citizenship, you can lodge an Application for Registration of Australian Citizenship by Descent in person at the Immigration Section of the Australian Embassy in Bangkok during 10:30am-12:30hrs, Monday-Friday.

You will need to register your child as an Australian Citizen first, before lodging the application for the passport. For the application for Australian passport enquiries, please contact the Consular Section of the Australian Embassy in Bangkok at [email protected].

I attached a list of documents required when applying for Citizenship by Descent. The form you will need to fill out is Form 118, which can be downloaded from our website, www.thailand-embassy.gov.au.

Information of Registration of Australian Citizenship by Descent can be obtained from www.citizenship.gov.au. or www.immi.gov.au.

As for the proof of you as the child's father, when the mother of the child had given birth and once the birth of the child is registered with the District Office, the name of both the father and the mother of the child should be provided, therefore, your name should appear on the Thai Birth Certificate.

When lodging the application for Australian Citizenship by Descent, please also provide a brief written history of your relationship with the mother of the child as well as evidence of your relationship, given that both of you are not legally married.

The current application fee charge is 3,850 Thai Baht.

I hope the above information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact me for more information.

Yours Sincerely,