Pm Taksin Has Said,it's Important To Study Englis

dog

Thaksin pushes for Thais to speak English

The government is drawing up a plan to boost fluency in the language needed for thousands of jobs at home and abroad

BANGKOK - Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is aiming to equip Thai workers with what most of them lack: English-speaking skills, a requirement for thousands of jobs here and overseas.

Mr Thaksin told his Cabinet at a recent meeting that Thai workers should at least be able to communicate in English in the workplace.

Ideally, he wanted them to speak English as if it were their mother tongue.

'The Premier has found English speaking to be our weak point and wants to tackle it,' government spokesman Sita Divari said.

European nations wanted to recruit up to 100,000 Thai nurses but are requiring English fluency.

There are also many other opportunities for Thai bilingual chefs, caddies and masseurs, Mr Sita said.

He said Mr Thaksin instructed Deputy Prime Ministers Somkid Jatusripitak and Purachai Piumsombun to work out a plan to improve English-speaking skills among Thais.

Noting that more than 90 per cent of educational materials was written in English, the Prime Minister said that greater English proficiency would boost access to knowledge.

More local people are also trying to learn Mandarin, some previous reports have said, eyeing China's vast market potential.

Reports have said that the teaching of English as a foreign language in Thai schools has not been satisfactory.

More than half of the English teachers in the nation's schools are desperately in need of English-language training as only 5 per cent can do their jobs properly, according to a senior Education Ministry official.

Permanent Secretary Kasama Worawan said that 'if the country does not overhaul the teaching of English, the country would lose its competitive edge internationally'.

During a seminar on English education at Chulalongkorn University's language institute last November, Ms Kasama raised concerns about substandard instruction when teachers adapt English classes to meet local demands.

'Many teachers try to create an English course for their community but they don't maintain academic and curricular principles,' she said.

She praised schools that use English in every subject.

'This will help not only students but also teachers to get used to teaching English.

'Actually, Thai students have the innate talent to use English. They just need a chance to polish their skills,' she said.

The importance of English had also been emphasised by Education Minister Pongpol Adireksan in December last year when he suggested Thailand should put more resources into training children to learn English properly as a way to help revitalise the country's long-term international competitiveness.

The minister said he was convinced that 'proficiency in the language would make up-and-coming generations of citizens more intelligent because English has become an indispensable medium for the search of global knowledge'.

WEAK LINK: Unqualified teachers

• Although English has been taught in Thailand for more than a century, more than 90 per cent of language teachers in primary schools lack the training to teach effectively.

• According to reports, many of the primary school English teachers are not Cannot distribute vertically proficient in the language. They did not major in English and are unable to pronounce words properly.

• Classes are also too large, with up to 100 pupils in some government primary schools, making it difficult to conduct lessons.

Source: The Nation/AsiaNews Network

Edited by dog

"More than half of the English teachers in the nation's schools are desperately in need of English-language training as only 5 per cent can do their jobs properly, according to a senior Education Ministry official."

Congratulations. Someone who is not afraid to speak the truth.

Reports have said that the teaching of English as a foreign language in Thai schools has not been satisfactory.

Source: The Nation/AsiaNews Network

This must be the under-statement of the century.

Call me a cynic if you wish, but I just can't see them doing anything to tackle the fundametal cause of the problem; i.e. low salaries + abysmal working conditions = crap teachers (Thai and foreign) = poor results. Being Thais, they are always going to want to do things on the cheap.

Edited by Rumpole

My mother always said "Beggars can't be choosers." Thailand is in desperate need for English teachers and not many foreign residents have real teaching qualifications (BA or higher in Education, TEFL/CELTA certification, experience). If schools want native English speaking teachers, they'll need to accept folks who don't have the qualifications required to obtain teaching jobs in the West. English Conversation (which is what most Thai students need) is not something that requires special qualifications/training to teach. Many teachers I know do not possess the required degrees, certificates, etc to be teachers in the West yet they do a fine job in the class.

In regards to salaries and working conditions, unless schools here pay good salaries and have good working conditions with no BS involved, they will always be in the "beggar" status. Only when they make the working environment acceptable (small classes, good resources, good management, staff support, hassle free work permit processing, etc) will they be able to pick and choose who they hire.

I almost forgot one of the most important quotes in the ESL industry:

"A happy teacher is a good teacher." Schools that live by this saying generally have few problems with their teachers. Of course, this does not absolve the teacher from their responsibility on the job either.

Edited by Thaiboxer

Maybe the Prime Minister learned something in his studies, and is teaching his cabinet: Thais can solve problems and think critically, but it's difficult. At least a few Thai politicians speak the truth about some problems. Solving this problem is unlikely to happen in ten years.

We were involved in a province-wide seminar for teachers of English. I already knew that the matayom teachers who prepared at university to be English teachers had various problems teaching English. But to prepare us to teach the primary teachers, the seminar leaders said, "these prathom teachers have much less training and experience. They really don't know English." That was an understatement.

1. Government schools need to decrease class size by about half. That requires twice as many school buildings, twice as many teachers. Timeline: 5 to 25 years.

2. For instruction in English, teachers need much more preparation at university. Timeline: 5 to 10 years.

3. Item 1 would require more money, more tax, less corruption. Timeline: 100 years.

Some good retorts to the original post. I would assume many more are on the way. It would be nice to see such collective reasoning forwarded to Khun Thaksin to anable him to tackle the root of the problem rather than merely paying lip service to ministers and NGO's who point out the problems but do not have the might to make something happen. Thaksin has in the past been the 'root' of the problem concerning the use of English in this country especially when it comes to print. Advertising billboards, plackards and sandwich boards, books especially carrying a special tax because of the written language.

I say do away with this pathetic rule of taxing banners with English script, favouring the 'Thai Rak Thai' mentality.

If thaksin wants to do something about it, i see it beginning with legislation opening the general use of the English language by choice, and not burying it through penalty.

Come on Thaksin, you get the ball rolling and all will follow.

With no penalty for using English I see a considerable decrease in advertising costs and a boost in margins, thereby increasing advertising budgets. A new money go round.

Sod me it's only taken Thaksin 5 years to realise his attitude to the Thai way impedes his desired international status for Thailand

T.