Throwing Blood

whistleblower

All of you whiners go to the hospital and donate right now. Oh you won't? Hypocrites.

Clarify your point? Or are you going to defend the indefensible? As to me being a hypocrite for not agreeing with you, sorry pal you got the wrong person. :)

Any doctor or nurse who take the blood to be wasted, probably don’t care how they do draw the blood. They used dirty needles, or same needle. This would one more Mr. T. legacy transmitting HIV from one to all his supporter

Perhaps underestimating the compassion and intelligence of Thai medical professionals.

People come from all over the world to be seen at Thai hospitals. The healthcare system is world class.

You believe that? Any health-care professional involved in this particular little stunt has little intelligence, ethics or compassion.

Perhaps you have more experience of health-care systems around the world than myself, but from what I have seen there is little consistency.

Imagine how bad the situation would be if health professionals weren't involved. :)

Its turning into a gory affair.

It is a good point, but not one that justifies the health professionals getting involved. Shameful.

Sure, for medical professionals to be involved, this must conflict with the Hippocratic Oath (Or does that only apply to doctors)

Either way. I see that the BBC website has toned down it's pro-red commentary on this.

Hippocratic Oath is generally applied to Doctors, however in modern medicine there are many schools that no longer require Doctors to swear the oath. In the end most countries have a regulatory body - such a General Medical Council, Nursing and Midwifery Council etc, etc for each profession within the health-care sector, that is where development, education and enforcement of code of conducts now originate from.

Just seen the slideshow on The Nation. Sick and senseless, and still haven't started throwing it around yet.

Call it patronising but I genuinely feel sorry for the people who volunteered for this nonsense.

On the slideshow there were monk(s) donating blood. Thought they were meant to be free from politics?

Those in the medical profession who assisted in drawing the blood should be fired!

As this is now being reported in the international press I wonder what impact it will have on tourism and how the international community regards Thailand.

Throwing human blood and chanting black magic curses must make them look like fools on the world stage.

Throwing human blood and chanting black magic curses must make them look like fools on the world stage.

I think you could be surprised at the international media's reaction, all it will take is a nice spin along the lines of "the elites have taken everything from us, all we have left is the blood in our veins - now we're giving them that too"

All of you whiners go to the hospital and donate right now. Oh you won't? Hypocrites.

I donate blood 4 times a year. Have done since my cousin was involved in a motorbike accident and needed pints and pints of donated blood during emergency surgery. That was 20 years ago!

Am i still a hypocrite?

Same as myself,I have given about 60 times up to now over the last 20 odd years. I even have a gold card from the blood bank If they want my blood they ring me , shame i cannot use it in Tesco though,

I'm not discouraging people from donating. And I'm definitely not expressing any opinion at all concerning Thai politics. (Glass houses come to mind)

But I worked in a Blood Bank for several years in a city in the Northeast (US) and a shortage of blood was never a problem. In fact, I heard stories about all the blood that was destroyed not long after the September 11th attacks because it had expired.

Saying it's selfish or wrong because this blood could be used in hospitals instead is a very weak argument against this act,

As a former Blood Bank worker, then surely you know that shortages/surpluses are regionally and situationally determined. There is no such blood surplus here as you experienced in the USA.

IMHO, it is selfish to shamelessly discard this essential medical component and particularly for such a worthless cause.

The choice to donate is, of course, entirely voluntary, but it's ludicrous for someone to go to the trouble of having blood extracted from their body... only to throw it in on the ground. While it's certainly their right to do with it what they want, they are stupid to toss out potentially life-saving material.

The health hazards of such nonsense far surpasses any civil liberties. Blood is a notorious medium for disease-causing organisms to thrive on. That's why septicemia (blood infections) kills thousands every year. It's also why hospitals around the world spend billions of dollars properly and safely disposing of blood-contaminated articles.

Fortunately, I just read that out of 100,000 promised donors, only 500 idiots came through today, thus reducing the hazard.

I don't think it's selfish. As, I don't see how this act has affected the availability of blood products to patients in need.

Obviously, the worthiness of the cause is debatable.

(Though as mentioned before, my comments on this topic are nonpartisan.)

As for the health concerns, I'm not sure what you are saying about septicemia is relevant. But I do think there was a significant risk of spreading disease. Hepatitis and HIV are the two I would be most concerned with. I saw blood being splashed on police shields and people walking through the blood. Hopefully, everyone exposed took proper measures to disinfect their gear, clothes and shoes. (Of course many didn't)

Again my point is this is not a selfish act and wasting a precious commodity.

Edited by oldthaihand

I'm not discouraging people from donating. And I'm definitely not expressing any opinion at all concerning Thai politics. (Glass houses come to mind)

But I worked in a Blood Bank for several years in a city in the Northeast (US) and a shortage of blood was never a problem. In fact, I heard stories about all the blood that was destroyed not long after the September 11th attacks because it had expired.

Saying it's selfish or wrong because this blood could be used in hospitals instead is a very weak argument against this act, IMHO. Certainly not a crime against humanity. And to suggest that it is even on the same level as true crimes against humanity is to make light of actual crimes against humanity and the level of human suffering they inflict. Shame

Is this really the point?

Yes that is really my point.

Arguing the "blood protest" was wrong because it was wasting blood that could be used to save lives is very weak.

Again, I'm nonpartisan.

People dont have a finite amount of blood in thier body so its impossible to say its a "waste" as if giving 1 pint for a protest means 1 less pint that could have been donated to the hospital.

I am quite sure some of the people that did this will also be blood donors and some will not.

edit> http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Red-Shirt-Pr...-D-t348753.html

Edited by Hern

People dont have a finite amount of blood in thier body so its impossible to say its a "waste" as if giving 1 pint for a protest means 1 less pint that could have been donated to the hospital.

I am quite sure some of the people that did this will also be blood donors and some will not.

edit> http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Red-Shirt-Pr...-D-t348753.html

Chai Krup. Thank you!