Computer Back -up

Wanderer

My laptop is pushing on , speakers beginning to rust, plastic behind the screen begining to crack, also overheats to the extreme (has been infected, inspected,hijacked, spyed on, keylogged, but clean as whistle now), but I have a feeling it's going to 'kick the bucket 'soon :D

Have all my critical stuff like 'my documents' backed up to cds,

Am about to buy a external harddrive , what is the best way to back-up my Creative & MS media playlists, also my IE favouite list. Also have a few spyware/system maintance prorams, (payed for) can i just copy the installation programs or can Norton Ghost just do the whole lot. :o

Favorites in IE can be exported, via IE (file, export). You can do the same with the MS media player, but I've never used Creative's programs, so I can't give you any information for that.

Ghost only works (reliably) if you're transferring between same/similar systems. If you're getting something different to ghost to, then it usually won't work. For most registered programs, having the serial/registration information written down, along with the installation program, should be enough to install on another computer.

Remember that you can get an external drive for cheaper if you buy the drive and external enclosure separately. This also gives you more choices.

Wanderer - If your considering the purchase of a new laptop but want to keep all your old files, instead of purchasing an external hard drive (HDD), what about partitioning the new laptop HDD (if it's not already partitioned) and copying the old drive content over on to one of those partitions. That way you would have all your basic files, plus the ability to boot up in the old operating system, in the event some of your older programs may not run on WindowsXP.

What are your plans for the old laptop? Junk heap, kids play toy, donation to a school? If it's destined for the junk heap, you may want to buy a new "laptop size" USB external enclosure (as Firefoxx suggested), install the old HDD in same......and save yourself some money. You'd also end up with a portable HDD, that will probably fit in your pocket.

As regards copying your old HDD image to the new HDD, most new drives (internal and external) come with free software to partition the new drive and copy the old to the new. No need to buy Ghost. (If your old OS is Win98, the Fdisk and Copy command of DOS will also do the job nicely and for free.)

Depending on your exact CD burning software, and it's age, most have the capability of backing up your whole HDD to CD or DVD. (Check your owners manual for details.)

good luck :o

As I mentioned before, imaging (ghosting, byte-for-byte copying, etc) from an old system (and from your description, it's ancient) to a new system, with new components, is not recommended. Drivers and basic system functions will buckle, among other things. Although windows XP is a bit more tolerant of change than older OS's, it's still very unlikely that it will survive a big change like this (and if you're using the legit copy, there's the issue of activation which is tied to system configuration).