Is Giving My Girlfriend 20,000 Baht Per Month Enough?

Puriku

My part-time "take-care-of-it" girl just graduated with a B.S. Degree in computers & business. She has temporarily taken a job in a hotel restaurant for 100 bht per day. I am waiting to see what kind of a real job she can get and when. She is not in BKK. I give her a set amount which I think is to much. To the guy who gives 3,000, most (girls) I know would not go across the street for that.

Does the B.S. stands for what I think?Obviously since the other girls you know don't cross the street for 3000 Baht. :)

No, it's not what you think. A four year university degree is usually called B.S. or B.A. (Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts) depending on your subject major. That is the classification they use in USA, and I have heard similar tags here in Thailand. Yes, I do hear the other kind of B.S. from her. I can believe about 60-70% of what she tells me. It is what she does not tell me that is the most worrisome. It is a strange relationship, as most are here, I think.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it kind of depends on whether or not you are truly a handsome man.

This has to be a troll post and I can't believe I actually read it much less responded.

correct ,,

he,s another jak wow

Sadly in many Thai Farang relationships Money is a big think. I give my GF 3.000 THB and she is happy with that.

Maybe some of you have forgotten it but it is not money what keeps a strong relationship, it is LOVE! (Don't take it personally, please)

Yes, even in Thailand if you find the right one.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a cheap basdart. I do like to spend my money and i do well.

Also it is not only the 3.000 THB/m we do go out for dinner many times a week or shopping at weekends, bowling cinema, party ect.

Thinks you do with your GF, right? :D

These thinks of course i pay. Not a question for me.

But maybe i am a lucky guy as her family is doing pretty well back in the south. If a Family have 3 Motorbikes they must be doing well right??? :)

I would say about half of my neighbors wives are stay at home moms. The other half seem to leave every day so I assume they are working. The gold digger guys comment is quite reflective to me ... he says most family's "he knows" ..... I don't believe that translates to most family's ..... I don't know any people who live on that except the street sweepers here. And that doesn't translate to mean that no one does. All I'm saying is enough for what and who is the question, obviously it's not enough for her so why he is asking us in the first place is kind of odd. People have different expectations obviously her's is higher than 20K per month extra. I wouldn't jump to the conclution that she's a gold digger, perhaps she just has a higher expectation for her lifestyle than 20k would provide, nothing wrong with that. Her working to support that is no doubt a decent idea, but to say that because someone is Thai that they should be happy to live on that money or are greedy if they don't want to I think is wrong. I'm not even saying if he should or shouldn't tell her to work, or give her anything, i'm just saying I think people deserve more than a 20k lifestyle provides and I wouldn't call a woman greedy for wanting a better lifestyle than that. People want things like cars, weekend trips, day spas, ect and that cost money and wanting it isn't by default greedy or unreasonable.

This idea that because some people live on 10k per month it makes it a reasonable standard or a Thai standard is crazy to me because those people are at the very lowest end of the wage earners in an already poor country, and using the low end of the scale and thinking it's all anyone needs or deserves is kind of the opposite of the gold digger idea. It's a bit like going to America as a person with more money than Americans and thinking that some young pretty girl or any girl should be happy or is a gold digger if she wants more than what a wall mart worker makes and using the rational that lots of people live like that so why shouldn't you ? Just because a lot of people are poor doesn't mean everyone will be or should be happy to be poor.

And saying people who raise family's on 10K bhat are not poor is just plain stupid.

[/quote

I do not know where you live but I live in a rice growing village in central Thailand,and all would take offense at your street sweeper comment.

Do you not realize that the minimum wage in Thailand is below 200 baht per day? You add that up to see what it comes too, for all of them are hard working people that deserve a better life style than 10,000 baht per month. Many falangs in Thailand need to open their eyes to the conditions of the working poor in Thailand.

That is why the red shirt problem will not go, away The Thai government needs to improve working conditions for these people, the moneyed people do not think about those people, the vast majority of the population of this country.

Thaksin regard less of his greed championed programs that made life in the country better for the poor, the powers that be have a simple solution to the red shirt support base. Enact programs in the country to aid the poor, to simple is it not.

Cheers: :)

Sadly in many Thai Farang relationships Money is a big think. I give my GF 3.000 THB and she is happy with that.

Maybe some of you have forgotten it but it is not money what keeps a strong relationship, it is LOVE!

Pleasing to note that the TV forum still has plenty of "My girl is different (MGID)" members. :)

Secretary in a nice condo complex is getting 14,000 baht a month for working six days a week and she's highly qualified in Accounting. Head of Maintenance is getting 12,000 baht and he has to get up at 5 a.m. The cleaning gals make about 6000 baht so they are making less than a third what your gf gets from you and I'm sure they work three times as hard too. I'd kick her to the curb---fast.

Here's an idea. Figure out how many times you get sex with her per month. Say you do it once every 2nd night. That's 15 times a month. Okay.....say it's 300 baht for a room at Soi Six and 500 for the girl. Tell her your Soi Six cost would be 800 baht per time. 800 baht times 15 is 12000. But you don't have to feed the Soi Six girls, you don't have to pay their hospital costs or recognise their birthdays. Tell your gf that so reduce her salary from you to 12,000 baht (or whatever the computation works out for you) and tell her she's getting free food and board that the soi Six girls are not getting. She will leave, of course, but you will be much better off playing the field on Soi Six.

Many, many folks do more than just survive on little more than 10K per month.

Here are some points of reference:

Average Thai incomes:

http://www.worldsalaries.org/thailand.shtml

Some examples (2005 numbers)

Professor:

Man: 21,067

Lady: 19,662

Computer programmer:

Man: 16,336

Lady: 16,547

Nurse:

Man: 15,295

Lady: 16,892

Office Clerk:

Man: 14,928

Lady: 12,183

Postman:

Man: 9,206

Lady: 9,608

Hotel Receptionist:

Man: 8,334

Lady: 8,157

commercial sex worker: xx,xxx-xxx,xxx

> the fundamental answer to the most topics here.

Edited by Birdman

OP.... i wouldn't part company with more money. love aside she's got it pretty easy getting 20k handed to her. it's hard to do (the 1st time) but just tell her to go back to the salon or get a job if she wants more. she'll be pissed at 1st but you'll have made your point quite clearly and she WILL finally accept it.

It depends on one’s expectations.

I find that here, I can easily live on 25,000 baht a month to cover everything (exc. rent), as I don’t need the ‘luxuries’ I became used to in the UK.

Its a different lifestyle (yes, I hate that word too, but it explains the situation). In the UK I would feel embarrassed not to have the latest ‘things’, that all my friends had. We worked hard to be able to afford the luxuries that compensated for working far too hard in a cold, gloomy country.

Here, they’re not necessary and, even though most of my friends have far more money, it doesn’t matter. As long as I can (just about) pay my way, its not a problem.

I came from a relatively wealthy life in the UK to a far less wealthy life here (long, boring story), which is why I find comments saying that giving Thai g/f’s lots of money to live a ‘better’ life, laughable.

Never having had money it is understandable that they are looking for someone that will give them a life of which (previously), they could only dream. To turn this around to say that they cannot live without the sort of money people spend in the West is ridiculous.

Just by sharing your home, not to mention paying all the bills, food etc. you have improved their 'lifestyle' WAY beyond anything they could have hoped for otherwise.

Of course, there are always exceptions. But that is easily seen by visiting their family to ascertain whether they are used to a wealthy life.

Edited by F1fanatic

My part-time "take-care-of-it" girl just graduated with a B.S. Degree in computers & business. She has temporarily taken a job in a hotel restaurant for 100 bht per day. I am waiting to see what kind of a real job she can get and when. She is not in BKK. I give her a set amount which I think is to much. To the guy who gives 3,000, most (girls) I know would not go across the street for that.

You denounce a guy for giving Bt3000 and state that most girls you know would not cross the street for that but your degree qualified girl (just what is a B.S degree by the way ? apart from the obvious cow droppings connotation) would have to work 30 days a month to get that amount.

One could therefore argue that if you need a degree to get a Bt100 a day job, just how much can you earn with no or minimal education ?

Maybe some of you have forgotten it but it is not money what keeps a strong relationship, it is LOVE! (Don't take it personally, please)

Don't get me wrong. I am not a cheap basdart. I do like to spend my money and i do well.

Also it is not only the 3.000 THB/m we do go out for dinner many times a week or shopping at weekends, bowling cinema, party ect.

But maybe i am a lucky guy as her family is doing pretty well back in the south. If a Family have 3 Motorbikes they must be doing well right??? :D

:) Yikes - Three motorbikes !

How much do you give the family ?

what you say is so true F1.Some guys seem to want to give their new loved ones a life style comparable to living in the west and in so many cases once the lass has them,pisses the guy off.I cannot understand why they cannot better their lifestyle more slowly.For example,say a thai lady who is not uni qualifed were to work 6 days a week,either in shop or factory,she would likely receive a salary of 6-7 thousand baht pm.So why not take her out of the factory and give her a monthly allowance of say 10,000 baht pm.She is immediately better off by 3000 baht,does n't have to work,pay rent or buy food.It seems some guys are hel_l bent on off loading more money than most thai ladies would see in a life time and do it in a few months or a year of meeting them,the usual land/house/car package.Its unlikely western guys would do it so speedily back home,so why do it here?

The eternal question that is on everyone's lips...... and I would not be rude enough to answer. :) Well, I would actually, but not in response to reasonable posts.

Let's just hope the OP has taken on board the sensible advice.

Edited by F1fanatic

...would be interesting to see for fun the exactly average monthly payment of all Farang/Japanese etc worldwide for their Thai partners excluding all other expenses, like concerts, families, food, holidays, cars, houses, boats etc.

I would say it is between 20.000 and 30.000 Baht.

The eternal question that is on everyone's lips...... and I would not be rude enough to answer. :) Well, I would actually, but not in response to reasonable posts.

Let's just hope the OP has taken on board the sensible advice.

You had a good night tonight then

:D

Yes, this subject has been done to death, but here goes

If you are paying the rent and expenses like you say and giving her 20,000 on top of this, this is rather a good deal for her I would say, yes, she will give her mother money to support the children and 5,000 a month is more then ok in that department, (I know girls who earn 4,500 a month and send between 1,500 and 3,000 home to help with the kids).

That leaves her 15,000 which is pretty good spending money I would say, I think you are being quite generous. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't be giving any more then that.

What is it about farang men? Can't they tell if they are being taken adventage off or not? Just the fact that she throw her job away after having a farang boyfriend and letting the boyfriend take care of her and her family. Doesn't that say something about her intentions? And she's not even your wife or the mother of your child, she is just a girlfriend. In my book you don't give money to your girlfriend you only do that to your wife.

What is it about farang men? Can't they tell if they are being taken adventage off or not? Just the fact that she throw her job away after having a farang boyfriend and letting the boyfriend take care of her and her family. Doesn't that say something about her intentions? And she's not even your wife or the mother of your child, she is just a girlfriend. In my book you don't give money to your girlfriend you only do that to your wife.

Kathy...Are you 1. Falang, 2. Thai or 3. Other? Let me recommend a book for you to read (for that matter for everyone here). "Thailand Men's Paradise?" by Annika and Annabella Ardin. This book goes over a lot of old ground that many of us here know all too well. What sets it apart from the rest is it's written by two WOMEN, the Ardin's being two Finnish women who are mother and daughter. They burrow far beneath the prejudices and one sided viewpoints of most Western women who are for the most part 100 % clueless about Thailand, Thai society or Thai women in particular.

As to how much is a fair amount to give a Thai gf, first off if she's not living with you full time, I'd give it a pass. If she is 10,000 baht is a good starting point or for that matter average. What you will wind up actually paying is a great deal more than that. For one thing, a Thai woman eats often so it's going to cost you at least 100 baht a day for her food. That's 3000 baht right there. Then what are you going to do if she gets hospitalized? My neighbor who spends about 8 months here in Pattaya and 4 months in the U.K. is going to just put his live in in the hospital and I'm sure he has no idea of where to take her. I'm a firm believer in first rate medical care so I've put my live in Thai girlfriend on my BUPA policy so if she gets seriously ill or has an accident she can go to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Spread that cost over each month and you are looking at another 2,000 baht per month or so. And what about the beer or Bacardi breezers the girl is going to drink? And how about vacations? I like to travel and I've already taken my gf to North Vietnam and to the Krabi area. And what about those little gifts you will be getting her? Clothing? I'd say if you are giving her 10,000 baht she's going to wind up costing you at least 30,000 baht total if you are really looking out for her.

And incidentally Kathy....if my gf had a full time job she wouldn't be able to travel with me. But believe me, if she should ever start complaining about what I give her, I'd immediately say to her..."Well then go back to work then." But I will say one thing, if I were paying any live in girlfriend 20,000 baht a month, I don't care if she's Thai or American or whatever. I will expect her to be replacing my C.P.A. I have over in the U.S., and doing my tax returns and auditing my books

But maybe i am a lucky guy as her family is doing pretty well back in the south. If a Family have 3 Motorbikes they must be doing well right??? :D

Nothing. Never have. They are doing well.

Farang lady never does this???

Many bar boy,beach boy are kept by farang lady,not been to khao samui??

btw

i dont give my gf a baht,except for birthday/xmas etc etc

Edited by somtampet

Nothing. Never have. They are doing well.

Is that your gf in the picture ? If so tell her i will give her 5000 baht a month. :D .... Let the bidding wars begin.

I am only joking mate, but if that is your gf she looks very nice. Just thought i would say.

She gives 5k to her mom and her room rent (Maybe around 3k-4k?)

so she has 11k left for herself and her kids.

If she tighten her belt. She can live with that amount of money.

but Since she has kids, I think give her 25k per month is OK. but shouldn't give her more than that.

She does not pay rent, he pays it, and food etc. if she earned 30k per month in hair salon, she wasnt cutting hair.

My wife has 10,000 per month personal allowance, most of which goes to support her family, thats not my business. I pay for everything , and she is very content.