Khon Kaen Transport

hansnl

• 2 months later...
Good stuff, those taxis should do well...tuff luck for the tuk tuk thieves

Does anyone know if there is any car rentals in Khon Kaen? I'm soon to relocate to Nong Sung but know I won't find one there or in Chaiyaphum.

Thanks in advance,

Keoki

Used to have to bargain with tuk-tuk mafia anywhere from 100-200 baht from bus station to airport. Many of them had nasty attitudes, especially if I didn't give in to their extortion.

Air-conditioned, metered taxi? 35-50 baht. No fuss, no ill-tempered haggling. What a deal! :)

Edited by toptuan

Used to have to bargain with tuk-tuk mafia anywhere from 100-200 baht from bus station to airport. Many of them had nasty attitudes, especially if I didn't give in to their extortion.

Air-conditioned, metered taxi? 35-50 baht. No fuss, no ill-tempered haggling. What a deal! :D

Yes, the taxis are great news and long overdue in KK, to give the tuk-tuk mafia some competition and the customer some choice; but I've laready noticed some mafia-like practices creeping into the taxi trade. Got off at the bus stn the other day and needed a taxi home, and there was only a single taxi at the Q-rot. He said he would have to charge me the fare plus 20 Baht. I speak Thai and at first was not keen on paying,but with the only other option being a tuk-tuk I had to concede to his mini-extortion racket. He said it was because he wouldn't get a return fare from my village, which is likely, but still a meter is normally a meter elsewhere. One other relevant point - this was at night, about 8.00 pm.

Now, was this a one off cowboy chancing his luck, or is this now official policy for all the taxis I wonder? If the latter, then no doubt they'll get greedy and start upping the extra fare bit by bit, until you're paying tuk-tuk extortion rates, albeit for a more comfortable ride. Anybody else had this experience and wonder if the taxi company knows their drivers are doing this? :)

Does anyone know if there is any car rentals in Khon Kaen? I'm soon to relocate to Nong Sung but know I won't find one there or in Chaiyaphum.

Thanks in advance,

Keoki

You'll find Budget and Avis at the airport and several small firms in the city, especially in the area near the big hotels. You can also rent in KK via Thai Visa (see link at top of page to get online quote) with Budget or Thai Rent-a-Car and get a bit off the normal rate (don't usually give a plug to the sponsors but rented myself recently and appreciated the saving).

Edited by citizen33

Thanks in advance,

Keoki

You'll find Budget and Avis at the airport and several small firms in the city, especially in the area near the big hotels. You can also rent in KK via Thai Visa (see link at top of page to get online quote) with Budget or Thai Rent-a-Car and get a bit off the normal rate (don't usually give a plug to the sponsors but rented myself recently and appreciated the saving).

Thank you,

Keoki

Air-conditioned, metered taxi? 35-50 baht. No fuss, no ill-tempered haggling. What a deal! :D

Yes, the taxis are great news and long overdue in KK, to give the tuk-tuk mafia some competition and the customer some choice; but I've laready noticed some mafia-like practices creeping into the taxi trade. Got off at the bus stn the other day and needed a taxi home, and there was only a single taxi at the Q-rot. He said he would have to charge me the fare plus 20 Baht. I speak Thai and at first was not keen on paying,but with the only other option being a tuk-tuk I had to concede to his mini-extortion racket. He said it was because he wouldn't get a return fare from my village, which is likely, but still a meter is normally a meter elsewhere. One other relevant point - this was at night, about 8.00 pm.

Now, was this a one off cowboy chancing his luck, or is this now official policy for all the taxis I wonder? If the latter, then no doubt they'll get greedy and start upping the extra fare bit by bit, until you're paying tuk-tuk extortion rates, albeit for a more comfortable ride. Anybody else had this experience and wonder if the taxi company knows their drivers are doing this? :)

Not a one off Im afraid. We tried to get a taxi from the stand outside Central World going to Piman Thainee and he wanted the tuk tuk rate no meter.Also many are charging an extra 20 baht which is supposed to be for going through the call centre even if you flag them down or call them direct. I thought it would go this way because they pay 800 baht a day for the car and their own gas as opposed to 150 baht a day for a tuk tuk.Long hours for little money unless they get that well paying long run somewhere.

Not a one off Im afraid. We tried to get a taxi from the stand outside Central World going to Piman Thainee and he wanted the tuk tuk rate no meter.Also many are charging an extra 20 baht which is supposed to be for going through the call centre even if you flag them down or call them direct. I thought it would go this way because they pay 800 baht a day for the car and their own gas as opposed to 150 baht a day for a tuk tuk.Long hours for little money unless they get that well paying long run somewhere.

Here's a "tough" question: What are you teaching? There is an adage I enjoy which reads, " What you allow, you condone."

Humn,????

Here's a "simple" answer. The wife told the Central World driver to piss off (very unlike her) and we only give our regular guy the 20 baht extra.

There is an old adage which reads <snip>

HMM UGG oh ???

Edited by toptuan
Flaming. Let's keep out the insults, OK?

Yeah there's no point in such bad manners on this friendly website. <snip> Peace.

Edited by toptuan
Disparaging reference to character. Let's keep it on a high level of respect, OK guys? If you have a problem with a post, simply hit the "report" button and it'll be dealt with in an appropriate manner.

• 3 weeks later...

My metered taxi experience in Khon Kaen a few months back, very positive.

Particularly at the small desk at the main entrance to the bus station. They went out of their way to get me to KK Immigration, which is a fair way out and no-one had had experience in taking anyone there before.

They asked around and together with my ideas, delivered me there and came back very quickly when I was ready to go back into town.

So much different to the absolutely disgusting way that the taxi's are allowed to operate (or not operate) in Pattaya.

Udon Thani is also another place where you can expect pleasant taxi experiences.

Oh, and I almost forgot, Korat is another place where taxi drivers are "Human"

Edited by fishhooks