Ubon Ratchatani

samuibeachcomber

for the first time i went to ubon and stayed at the sunee plaza.Enjoyed a very nice stay,basic room was 1500 baht per night.Rooms were great,nice swimming pool and good reatuarant at very reasonable prices,we were eating dishes for as little as 120 baht.Staff very friendly,most spoke good english.The shopping complex that the hotel was situated in was a bit of a white elephant but it did have a supermaket that was very handy to have.One day i needed to find a good travel agent to book some flights and reception not only recommended a place to go to,they also took me in a courtesy bus,waited while i did my bookings and brought me back.

My g/f's family lived about 80klm outside of ubon,near a small town called ban butharik,we drove through dem udon after meeting up with brothers and sisters there.The farmhouse was really off the beaten track and surrounding countryside looked like a dustbowl,but was assured its lush and green in june/july when the rice planting begins.Did a trip to sironthon dam and had lunch at the waters edge and managed a swim in the dam.Visited chong mek on the laos border,a nice little town with many tourist shops i was told catered to chinese tourists coming in from laos.In fact the only tourists i saw were asian.

Had a very enjoyable stay except for the heat and no a/c for 8 days,and the isaan food got me down,everyday sticky rice and pig and beef offal,had to revert to farang food by going to the market and buying salad stuff with eggs and cans of tuna,but survive i did,showering outside with a hose,a squat for toilet,and sitting outside enduring 38C temps and hot winds.Not everone's cup of tea.Am only sorry i did n't get to explore ubon more,another visit for that.