Nissan March

rixalex

Had my first look at the March yesterday.

Looks like it will easily see off the Chery and the Savy. It's bigger for a start and the quality looks a bit better - plus of course it has the Nissan badge.

Pricing seems a bit misleading - the starting price is 375,000 for the base model, but in truth few will want to buy. No radio. No heated rear screen. No elec windows. Etc. It really is a no-frills beast. Unless the sales staff are prepared to throw in a few extras, customers will have to look at the next model up which is 425,000. That's creeping a little too close for my liking to the City.

Anyway, be interested to know what you guys / girls think. Anyone planning to buy?

P.S. Heard that the top of the line March has stop/start a la Honda PCX. Can anyone confirm?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nissan-march-2010.jpg

Yeah, the front looks ok to me but think they messed up the rear end. Noddy would love it though!

Nissan is always having great royal, modern and classic designs...

March.. is tooooo classic reminding me old VW.... not modern

Maybe they are trying to attract the wanna be Mini crowd?

The front has some cuteness to it but the back end reminds me of one of those pointless London cabs you might catch from the airport.

Looks too much like a cheap chinese car to me.. just my thoughts. Mazda 2 a lot better looking.

nissan-march-2010.jpg

Yeah, the front looks ok to me but think they messed up the rear end. Noddy would love it though!

Nissan is always having great royal, modern and classic designs...

March.. is tooooo classic reminding me old VW.... not modern

Maybe they are trying to attract the wanna be Mini crowd?

The front has some cuteness to it but the back end reminds me of one of those pointless London cabs you might catch from the airport.

Looks too much like a cheap chinese car to me.. just my thoughts. Mazda 2 a lot better looking.

Looks like a micra.

Brigante7.

I agree but it's not really fair to make that comparison as the Mazda 2 is priced in a different segment of the market.

The March is priced to compete with the Chery and the Savy. I think it will win easily, ugly or not.

I agree but it's not really fair to make that comparison as the Mazda 2 is priced in a different segment of the market.

The March is priced to compete with the Chery and the Savy. I think it will win easily, ugly or not.

I would agree with you there! I would buy this over any of the other cheap cars(Chery or the Savy), but then again, there are so many other cars I would look at second hand.

P.S. Heard that the top of the line March has stop/start a la Honda PCX. Can anyone confirm?

All automatic (CVT) variants have idle-stop.

and idle-stop only works if aircon is switched off

If true doesn't that make it about as useful as a chocolate teapot?

All automatic (CVT) variants have idle-stop.

and idle-stop only works if aircon is switched off

If true doesn't that make it about as useful as a chocolate teapot?

long story short. manual gear manages Co2 115g/km, while CVT auto manages 120g/km only with idle-stop. 120g/kmh is BOI requirement to classify as micro car/ provide financial support to manufactorer.

I have always questioned idle-stop, since it cuts aircon or heater while car is stopped. For March idle-stop isnt even active if aircon is running when car is stopped

In other markets (EU), 1,2 directinjection with kompressor is popular, since it manages Co2 98g/km to match 100g/km requirements giving tax breaks. Havent red the spec, but guess this engine requires 98 octane to perform optimal, as many 2010 echo friendy engines do. No 98 octane in LOS.

as usual in LOS we have to settle with old tech. state of the art not available

Still find March/Micra attractive, priced 100-130k less in LOS than yaris with similar spec. In most markets Micra/March and Yaris 1200cc/80 hp carry same pricetag

Edited by katabeachbum

Still find March/Micra attractive, priced 100-130k less in LOS than yaris with similar spec. In most markets Micra/March and Yaris 1200cc/80 hp carry same pricetag

Excellent point, I agree. Both the Nissan March and Mazda 2 Sedan have grabbed my attention recently, I wish PR did a better job of promoting them as, had I know about them, I would have considered them before buying my Honda City last December.

Did any of you guys know about these? how did you find out? I only saw them on the website after they'd been released.

I think it's the top-spec 535,000baht March which is most interesting; the 20km/litre fuel efficiency really fills a gap in the Thai market while purely the functions (not the chassis or motor, but electronic options/styling/features) give other 700k+ B-segment cars (City/Vios/etc) a real run for their money. The March looks great; it's a re-badged Micra so has a strong and long heritage, it's stylish, Nissan's a great company, the March is just physically a little small for my liking esp. with all the pick-ups and trucks on Thai roads.

The March looks great; it's a re-badged Micra so has a strong and long heritage, it's stylish, Nissan's a great company, the March is just physically a little small for my liking esp. with all the pick-ups and trucks on Thai roads.

Not only is it small but it is obviously a car built on a budget. If you are used to driving a City, you will notice the difference in the quality as soon as you sit in it. The plastics are cheap. Of course, that's reflected in the price.

The March looks great; it's a re-badged Micra so has a strong and long heritage, it's stylish, Nissan's a great company, the March is just physically a little small for my liking esp. with all the pick-ups and trucks on Thai roads.

Not only is it small but it is obviously a car built on a budget. If you are used to driving a City, you will notice the difference in the quality as soon as you sit in it. The plastics are cheap. Of course, that's reflected in the price.

Another option ? maybe not built on a buget ? TOYOTA IQ it has only a 1 lt engine + cost well over double that of the Nissan

Both the Nissan March and Mazda 2 Sedan have grabbed my attention recently, I wish PR did a better job of promoting them as, had I know about them, I would have considered them before buying my Honda City last December.

Did any of you guys know about these? how did you find out? I only saw them on the website after they'd been released.

I have a collection of about 40 Thai language websites I monitor reguarly, in addition to a small network of people in the industry that I use to keep up with the industry. If you're not Thai literate there's really no good resources at all I'm afraid - even manufacturer's own websites can take weeks to months (or even never) to update their English language versions..

To that end I've started a thread here that I'll keep updated so long as interest in it is maintained..

Another option ? maybe not built on a buget ? TOYOTA IQ it has only a 1 lt engine + cost well over double that of the Nissan

"well over double" is correct, if perhaps an understatement :D -Seeing as the only way to buy an IQ in Thailand is through the grey market, prices range from around 1.3M to 1.5M Baht for "new" examples - here's a link

Some time ago there was speculation that Toyota Thailand would be using the IQ or the Aygo as it's eco-car project, but their eco-car project was then "postponed indefinitely" during the financial crisis in 2009, putting it all on ice. Latest rumours have it that their eco-car project might finally go ahead in 2014 - so don't expect any cheaper ways of driving an IQ anytime soon :)

"well over double" is correct, if perhaps an understatement smile.gif -Seeing as the only way to buy an IQ in Thailand is through the grey market, prices range from around 1.3M to 1.5M Baht for "new" examples - here's a link

No if i wanted a car of that size and wanted to pay that much then would have a 'Smart'

Unfortunately though, Smarts aren't made in Thailand so if you do want one through gray import, you're looking at well over a milltion baht, possibly two.

On the March, so far I only saw the base model with the foamy seats.. Will withhold judgment until I see a version with adult people seats. :)

I was impressed by the space inside, it's very roomy, more so even than the larger Tiida.

And I like the mileage figures. Auto cut off is interesting too; I live in Chiang Mai so I'm not using aircon for a big part of the year anyway, and traffic light waits are brief so when hyper-miling a bit it'd be easy to switch off the aircon while running out before a traffic light, engine stopped. Reasonably cool air will be blowing for another minute or so just using the fan.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Unfortunately though, Smarts aren't made in Thailand so if you do want one through gray import, you're looking at well over a milltion baht, possibly two.

No we were talking about the Toyota IQ and the Smart, both are inports and about the same price... My thoughts were if I wanted a very small car + had 1.5 million of the 2 I would go with the Smart.

I booked a spot for a CVT due in June.

Planning on getting their top-line model.

I'm also buying one, but not in auto transmission. I don't think such a small engine will pull the car with auto, but should do fine with normal manual 5 speed.

I'm also buying one, but not in auto transmission. I don't think such a small engine will pull the car with auto, but should do fine with normal manual 5 speed.

Congrats on the decision !!!

BTW, i don't work for Nissan.

ThT

Thanks, just curious,why would you buy a top line-model, as the price is approaching Jazz?

ThT

Thanks, just curious,why would you buy a top line-model, as the price is approaching Jazz?

:) LOL, I knew the question will come up. I've been asked that question many times and here goes:

- The Nissan March is in a segment on it's own Eco-Car (Supermini / Subcompact / B-Segment), the other car manufacturers haven't released their versions in Thailand YET, but I think they are feeling the heat... don't count grey imports. (i not 100% here). Jazz, Yaris, Vios are in the same segment, i could be wrong, but they have a larger engine that does not get the "eco-car" status.

- Yes, the top-line price starts to get close to the bottem line Jazz/City... but again, it's a whole different segment and I do need to put a cap on it....otherwise it would be a never ending story... top-line March=bottom-line City, top-line City=bottom-line Civic, top-line Civic=bottom-line Accord....(see a pattern emerging?).

- I want the bells-and-whistles of the top-line model, some may not think it's usefull other may not, some may not need it..... but in the end....I WANT IT.

- Honestly.. it's the climate control, keyless entry/start button, package that I'm more interested in, unfortunately, it happens to be in the top-line model.

Edited by indothai

If you do a feature-by-feature comparison (yes, you can do this online on the Nissan Thailand website), the model that makes sense is the 1.2E MT for 425,000. That's a manual transmission, and is the 2nd model in the lineup. It has the nicer wheels and everything except not the remote entry etc. The model that is 537,00 Baht apart from having the auto transmission, which I think is not good on such a small engine, just has some minor enhancements that you can have installed aftermarket. I don't see the value in paying another 100,000+ for this. :)