No Meter No Ride

soi lurker

Only happened to me twice. I just got a different cab.

One took a long route and the fare came to 95 baht for a 70 baht ride (I do that route often so I know the right price). I whinged and moaned like a good pommy. Getting there I was going to pay him the correct price only, but he said 'no, no ' and only wanted 50 baht 'cos he had gone the wrong way. Felt like a right tosser, so I gave him 100.

Also forgot to take my money the other day. Got the phone number of the guy but when I called to tell him to come pick up the money he said mai pen rai.

I reckon most of them are a good bunch, though I speak polite Thai and know the general dirctions, which helps.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok putting the meter on, but not everyone knows the best route. What about the drivers who takes the long way home, are they not into that scam? This must also be to their benefit!

It certainly pays to be an informed passenger who knows the route to where you're going.... Often simply because the driver has no clue. There aren't any requirements to become a Bkk taxi driver, unlike the UK, where cabs are professionaly run. The last thing some of these guys drove was a buffalo- no joke. There are also occasions where the driver knows better than you, and it's not really the 'long way' at all. And, then again, sometimes it is. :o

In a situation where the driver and passenger are like 'dumb and dumber' (A situation I've been in on more than one occasion in Bkk. :D ), you might have to be more in charge, telling him to stop and get directions, otherwise the driver simply might drive around until he hits your stop by accident. They can call and ask their dispatcher (if they have a radio) but many don't like to because it might make them look stupid on the air, they fear...

I find using taxis in Thailand to almost always be a great adventure. Very few bad experiences, and tons of memorable ones. :D

Rule #1 about taxis in Bangkok - except at airport taxi stand, never even consider using a taxi that is sitting near some tourist spot. Stationary taxis are "touts with taxis" - not real taxi drivers.

ALWAYS hail a moving taxi. It is VERY rare to find a normal moving taxi that will try to rip you off.

I always chuckle to myself when I wade through a throng of stopped taxis to hail a moving taxi - with various reactions from the ignored tout-drivers.

Think about it. Driver "A" keeps moving, picking up and dropping off fares. He makes money the "straight" way - and his objective is to have as many short distance passengers as possible. Driver "B" parks in some tourist area, and sits - trying to find the one big "whale" who will pay him ten or twenty times the going rate - and he basically has to "make his nut" on one or two big scores.

So - which one is going to give you a square deal? Not the "tout in a taxi."

I just passed the 10 year anniversary of the fisrt time I came to Bangkok. 1995, flag drop was 35 baht. 2005, flag drop is still 35 baht - but the baht is worth a lot less. Taxi drivers make ###### little. I always tip - at least round up to the next twenty, and if it's less than 5 baht remaining, I add another 20. Taxis here are the cheapest in any major city.

A few bums, but many more decent, hardworking types.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

I only had one driver try not to turn on his meter, last year at the train station. I got in, told him where I was going (in Thai), he said (in English) "200 baht ok?" I told him in Thai to turn on the meter, he looked at me, he turned on the meter and off we went. It cost about 90 baht.

That is the only problem I have had with a Bangkok taxi driver. I speak colloquial Southern Thai, soon as they ask me why I am here and I tell them my husband is from Surat Thani, they are always sweetness and light to me.

Probably afraid I have their name and license number and if they do anything hubby will show up and kill them. Because, after all, everybody from Surat is a killer :o

Think about it. Driver "A" keeps moving, picking up and dropping off fares. He makes money the "straight" way - and his objective is to have as many short distance passengers as possible. Driver "B" parks in some tourist area, and sits - trying to find the one big "whale" who will pay him ten or twenty times the going rate - and he basically has to "make his nut" on one or two big scores.

Absolutly true in my experience in any city in the world I've travelled, and when I drove taxi, too. I was one of those guys who hustled, rather than sitting in a que somewhere hoping for a whale..

A smart taxi driver, in my opinion, won't try the long route much because, simply, time is money... Better to get you where you're going asap and get another flag-drop going... Better than 35baht the 'slow' way, taking a longer route, and putting any tip at serious risk, too

What would the taxi driver in your home think if they had heaps of Thais that couldn't speak a word of English, and were a lot richer than them?

Say something like, "bloody Asians, can't be bothered to learn English when coming to ....... let's rip them off".

Learn to say a few simple phrases, go to the Thai language section to ask.

Maybe learning Lao would be better when taking a cab in Bangkok!

I went to Bkk recently and said"ma dtae sai?"

He started laughing and really cheered up when I told him that knew his hometown.

He started the usual talk about how rich I am. I put him straight saying that I had only been home twice in 12 years. Costs me 100,000 baht for the family. He got home for less than 100baht.

He was nearly in tears when I told hime how much I hate bangkok, and described my house in Khon Kaen, and how I couldn't wait to get home.

He wouldn't accept any money from me. I had to fight him to make hime take 50 baht for the 55 baht trip.

I think I made his day, he left shouting at how the farang could speak his language.

Remember the usual type of farang that these guys pick up.

Shouting meter meter, and thinking they are being taken for a ride, telling the driver his job.

Speak to them in their language and they will respect you and definately won't rip you off.

What would the taxi driver in your home think if they had heaps of Thais that couldn't speak a word of English, and were a lot richer than them?

Say something like, "bloody Asians, can't be bothered to learn English when coming to ....... let's rip them off".

Learn to say a few simple phrases, go to the Thai language section to ask.

Maybe learning Lao would be better when taking a cab in Bangkok!

I went to Bkk recently and said"ma dtae sai?"

He started laughing and really cheered up when I told him that knew his hometown.

He started the usual talk about how rich I am. I put him straight saying that I had only been home twice in 12 years. Costs me 100,000 baht for the family. He got home for less than 100baht.

He was nearly in tears when I told hime how much I hate bangkok, and described my house in Khon Kaen, and how I couldn't wait to get home.

He wouldn't accept any money from me. I had to fight him to make hime take 50 baht for the 55 baht trip.

I think I made his day, he left shouting at how the farang could speak his language.

Remember the usual type of farang that these guys pick up.

Shouting meter meter, and thinking they are being taken for a ride, telling the driver his job.

Speak to them in their language and they will respect you and definately won't rip you off.

The taxi drivers in my town wouldn't know a Thai from Chinese as the taxi drivers can't speak english either and I'm talking about the U.S. I've been ripped off by more taxi drivers in the States than in Thailand. You are right on about humoring the driver. Works every time.

My Thai wife and I jumped in a taxi early in the morning as the taxi driver started work. It was a fairly new one (I hate getting in the ones where it smells like the driver has sleeped in it for months, that another story!).

Anyway, I normally hold the door open until the driver agrees to take us, but this driver waited until I closed the door. It was funny because I was waiting for the go ahead and he was waiting for the door shut. It was quiet for a while and I shut the door.

We were on our way and my wife notice he was looking and looking at us many times and she saw he had a knife beside the seat.

When we got to traffic lights my wife said to me in English ..."if I say something, don't question me and get out". I realized staight away something wasn't right and told her "tell him I've got diarrhea" :o

We got out and she gave him more then the meter value.

Later we caught another taxi and we actually passed him on the motorway as he had other passengers.

Who knows if we did the right thing but being careful is good.

BaanOz

I'm not surprised to hear of a taxi guy carrying a knife in his cab as many of these guys are robbed by their fares or even worse. However, it also works the other way and many fares have been robbed or worse. I recall a Japanese woman being shot by a taxi driver and dumped on the side of the road; lucky for her she survived. These incidents have increased in recent years so I'm sure many taxi guys are paranoid that they may be robbed at any given time. A good majority of the taxi drivers out there don't have the best education and often spend time drinking/gambling when off the clock. They may resort to using a knife in a situation that doesn't require it (such as an argument) out of sheer ignorance/fear. I would be wary too about being in a taxi if the guy had a knife at the ready. Good call on your wife's part BaanOz.

Edited by Thaiboxer

No need to get upset. No meter? no go. No change? no go out.

I just wait patiently, no fuss, until magically they manage to find change. Doesn't take more than a minute. Of course you need to pay while you're still sitting in the Taxi - then you have the leverage.

Edited by ~G~

Once in the Bangkok airport coming back from chiangmai with my mother age 78 and my brother I took a taxi from the taxi boot ( add 50 bahts ) and he went off refusing to put the meter saying it was not working , I temper so much he has to stop , and three of us we have to walk back to the taxi boot , a fare distance .

Was not a good day first Thai airline could not land in mae hong song and let us with no assistance in chiangmai where all the hotel was full , we took business class back to Bangkok .

Anyway I was fuming and when the taxi driver come back on the boot looking haggard and innocent , nearly blaming us , the two girls in the kiosk did not bite to his stupidity and security was call .

Did not have time to see what happen , as they put us into a new taxi .

Can not understand how far people will go !

Now my Thai is good enough for direction and asking simple questions, make life easier at time.

Yellow and green taxi and the one moving as suggest are the best bet !

sadly my mother want to come back , but i refuse , she is 81 years old and could not take risk to see something happen .

:D its was a trick for them to earn more, specially you are a foreigner. try to avoid them... check the meter when you got in and don't tell where are you going until the meter is not plug down, I my self got a sad experience about the taxi cab. we just came from a bussiness trip with my friend then got out from the airport and ride a taxi but I did not notice at first that the meter is not plug down. when we reach home then the taxi driver wanted to charge us 1600 THB but it was originally 500THB fare from Airport (Don Muang) to Samutprakan area. so we don't give him a sh*t, we got down unload our luggage, i gave him 800 THB and close our gate ... :D thats fair enough for those cheater... I told the taxi cab driver that if he doesn't want to move out from our place then I will call a police then he move his a*s but he's very angry with us... :D  :D

:D Believe him guys. I was there too :o

A couple of years ago, when going to Nichada Thani from Chang Wattana Rd, I picked a real fruit cake. Despite having a map, which indicated where I needed to get to (in Thai), the driver looked at it said that he knew the way. Off we went, a couple of km down the road the wants to borrow my mobile to call into HQ, because he wasn't sure where he was going. I ended up giving him 10 Baht to use a phone box. He then took, some turn onto a major, road, and it was obvious that he was getting lost. Have already U turned. He had the impudence to tell met that he would take me back to where he picked me up from and that I could take a bus from there. I was already getting late for the teaching job, so I jumped out of the cab and hailed one from the opposite side of the road. He wasn't happy as he was expecting payment for taking back to the bus stop. But couldn't do anything because the he couldn't turn his cab around, due to the concrete barriers.

on my last stay on phuket, i used the hotel car service,from hkt,airport to patong the only problem was --it had no brakes!the driver said "no ploblem"and was using the handbrake to slow down !at least he drove slowly !

Rule #1 about taxis in Bangkok - except at airport taxi stand, never even consider using a taxi that is sitting near some tourist spot.  Stationary taxis are "touts with taxis" - not real taxi drivers.

ALWAYS hail a moving taxi.  It is VERY rare to find a normal moving taxi that will try to rip you off.

I always chuckle to myself when I wade through a throng of stopped taxis to hail a moving taxi - with various reactions from the ignored tout-drivers.

Think about it.  Driver "A" keeps moving, picking up and dropping off fares.  He makes money the "straight" way - and his objective is to have as many short distance passengers as possible.  Driver "B"  parks in some tourist area, and sits - trying to find the one big "whale" who will pay him ten or twenty times the going rate - and he basically has to "make his nut" on one or two big scores.

So - which one is going to give you a square deal?  Not the "tout in a taxi."

I just passed the 10 year anniversary of the fisrt time I came to Bangkok.  1995, flag drop was 35 baht.  2005, flag drop is still 35 baht - but the baht is worth a lot less.  Taxi drivers make ###### little.  I always tip - at least round up to the next twenty, and if it's less than 5 baht remaining, I add another 20.  Taxis here are the cheapest in any major city.

A few bums, but many more decent, hardworking types.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

I agree, I've never had a problem with a taxi I flagged down only with the parked ones.

Regarding the wages, I've talked to a few drivers about it. It seems they get about 1200 - 1500B in fares a day, which surprised me as it was more than I thought they'd get with so many taxis about. But out of that comes the taxi rental fee, which is about 400B - 500B (can't remember exactly) and the petrol cost of another 400B or so with the recent price increases. The ones that own their taxis don't pay the rental fee of course, but have the maintenance and repair expenses. Being on the road all day every day they're more likely to get involved in traffic incidents and ending up bribing the cops too. And then there's the cost of repairs/damages in the event of an accident. I've no idea how your average driver could afford the hundreds of thousands of baht if he were to be involved in an accident that left the taxi a write-off, as they certainly don't seem to be left with very much of what they take in as fares. :o

My Thai is limited but i can get by. As for Taxis i know how to speak to them. Sure you get ####### but i have found many of these guys to be nice decent hard working guys. making a living forv their family and themselves. But saying that i will get straight out off a taxi if he even asks or haggles a fare. There is so many taxis on the road its not difficult to get another. As for paying an extra 50 baht at the airport. Thats not alot. Theye then cant charge you over the meter, Its NOW regulated at the airport. it never used to be. But as some people have said. It does help if you can speak a little Thai.

A couple of years ago, when going to Nichada Thani from Chang Wattana Rd, I picked a real fruit cake. Despite having a map, which indicated where I needed to get to (in Thai), the driver looked at it said that he knew the way. Off we went, a couple of km down the road the wants to borrow my mobile to call into HQ, because he wasn't sure where he was going. I ended up giving him 10 Baht to use a phone box. He then took, some turn onto a major, road, and it was obvious that he was getting lost. Have already U turned. He had the impudence to tell met that he would take me back to where he picked me up from and that I could take a bus from there. I was already getting late for the teaching job, so I jumped out of the cab and hailed one from the opposite side of the road. He wasn't happy as he was expecting payment for taking back to the bus stop. But couldn't do anything because the he couldn't turn his cab around, due to the concrete barriers.

Do you actually think that most of these guys can read? IF they don't they won't tell you. Thais with maps! Never, under any circumstances, give a map to a Thai person, unless they have been abroad. Never assume taxi drivers can read. Some of these guys have just arrived in bangkok from the sticks to try and make a bit of cash to send home to their families.

I got one guy who didn't know where Sukhumvit road was.

Another drove along the highway at 30kh/hour with one arm out the window cleaning the rain off with some homemade contraption.

I don't take shit from them either, but sometimes I do feel as if I am taking a big risk just for calling them on their actions.  The other day a low-life purposely missed the exit on my way to work and drove around so that the fare was double.  I would have given him the usual 70 baht fare, but I only had 100 baht in change.  So I gave him that, even though his inflated fare was 120.  Do you know he had the nerve to give me the evil eye!

Today, I was in a taxi with this tourist friend and rode with him to his hotel (there's also a big possibility that the hotel is tampering with his credit card number), and I could not believe the blatant behavior of the taxi driver - he almost refused to give him proper change (keeping 60 baht out of 100).  I went back and demanded that he return the money, and even then he kept 10 baht. 

I have no problem tipping at all, but I cannot stand when people take it from me.  That is a different story altogether.  But I noticed that some tourists feel so overwhelmed that they let this kind of behavior slide.

Typical Thai

Not typical at all. :o

It does happen but it def is not typical of Thai taxi drivers.

When I was an outpatient in bkk I had to load a wheelchair everytime I went to hospital or shopping.

Without exception every taxi driver was helpful in getting the wheelchair in and out of the taxi etc . etc.

Most would not accept a tip! :D

K.Larry, why are you such a bitter prick?

I've never seen you post a good word about Thais......

Not typical at all.  :o

It does happen but it def is not typical of Thai taxi drivers.

When I was an outpatient in bkk I had to load a wheelchair everytime I went to hospital or shopping.

Without exception every taxi driver  was helpful in getting the wheelchair in and out of the taxi etc . etc.

Most would not accept a tip! :D

K.Larry, why are you such a bitter prick?

I've never seen you post a good word about Thais......

Get a life, and a new pair of rose colored glasses. The post is about Taxi driver rip offs.

Edited by Khun Larry

Years ago, I got into a fight with a taxi driver for not giving me change. We got out the taxi and he gave me a smack in the face. Instinctively, I hit him back. He went to his cab and took out a crowbar from under his seat and nearly attaked me with it. If my security guards hadn't been there, he probably would have.

Why? I was a drunken, obnoxious, arrogant prick. I used to get into a lot of trouble with everyone, including taxi drivers.

Now I am not(all 3 anyway). I NEVER have any problem with taxi drivers. They always put on their meter. We ALWAYS have a good laugh.

My attitude has EVERYTHING to do with this transition. I presume that taxi drivers are still the same.

"The best way to get rid of enemies is to make them your friends"

Edited by Neeranam

Got Done just last week with the meter , can't remember if it has happened before - and it was a bit embarrasing because I was with 3 mates I was showing around.

picked a passing cab from the other side of the road from pantip and I hopped in behind the driver so I could not see the meter and it was about 5 minutes into the journey when my mate in the middle asked me if the meter should be on - I looked and sure enough it was off - I then just had to tell the driver how much I was paying for the journey , a little bit of bartering and he got away with an extra 20 baht on what the metered fare should have been worth - and then I had my mates telling me not to be such a tight bastard over 20 baht - lol , can't win.

I've learned the hard way to make sure I check for the meter when I get in. Occassionally I get the

"oh, meter broken"

"hmm, that'd be 200b, sir"

I just get out of his cab (in the middle of the street), and get in the one right behind him. I just love the look on his face when he sees his buddy just took away his fare. Sometimes I then get the..

"Wait! Wait! OK! Meter!"

Rule #1-- NEVER give them a second chance. I've had a good laugh all the way home sometimes at the memory of 2 or 3 taxi drivers chasing me down the sidewalk trying to win me back. Even Cabbie #4 seems to be laughing abit as he turns his meter on and we drive away.

Years ago, my mother who lives in Bangkok once picked a taxi on Soi Ruamrudee to go to Lumpini Park for daily early morning exercise. Few hundred meters after the ride, the driver spotted a lone farang in front of a small hotel with suitcases. Apparently thinking this farang is heading to the airport, this driver stopped the car, ordered my mother out and while this farang appeared bewildered and uncomfortable with the situation, the driver started loading his suitcases in the trunk, so the farang got in the car and they took off, leaving one of his bags on the sidewalk....

Got Done just last week with the meter , can't remember if it has happened before - and it was a bit embarrasing because I was with 3 mates I was showing around.

picked a passing cab from the other side of the road from pantip and I hopped in behind the driver so I could not see the meter and it was about 5 minutes into the journey when my mate in the middle asked me if the meter should be on - I looked and sure enough it was off - I then just had to tell the driver how much I was paying for the journey , a little bit of bartering and he got away with an extra 20 baht on what the metered fare should have been worth

Some drivers do forget to put it on, it is not intentional.

If a driver deliberately keeps it off, why pay him anything??

I would say "tough shit man, your fault, want to ask a policeman?"

I've been told the most common of the taxi-scams is the "I don't have exact change" one. From what I've seen, Thais generally don't tip taxi drivers, so it's not uncommon for a taxi driver to claim they "don't have change"for your 100 baht, etc., in the hopes of getting the extra as a little illegitimate tip. This happened to me once after everyone else had gotten out of the cab, leaving me to pay, but I was promptly informed by the entire family after the fact, that there was no chance in ###### that the driver didn't have the change on hand. Apparently this is a somewhat common scam that they try on Thais as well as us wealthy generous Farangs.