No Meter No Ride

soi lurker

has any one else experienced this? im sure you have. You hail a cab, get in, great youve got a ride, but for some mysterious reason the cab driver tells you his meter doesent work....Its only his job, his bread and butter, but because you are farang he will guestimate your fare..which invariably will be 2 or 3 times the amount that you should pay..... :o

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has any one else experienced this? im sure you have.  You hail a cab, get in, great youve got a ride, but for some mysterious reason the cab driver tells you his meter doesent work....Its only his job, his bread and butter, but because you are farang he will guestimate your fare..which invariably will be 2 or 3 times the amount that you should pay..... :o

Yes..many times.....I hate it if i forget to look to see if the driver has it on...if he doesnt have it on then I just get out if he says it doesnt work......

They seem to always try this metre business when ur departing the airport in Bkk...

But if I forget, I just give him what "I" think is fare" and tell him to get stuffed if he arks up about it..... :D

same with the motor-cycle taxi riders who always hold their little hands out for more baht.....they get same as if they carry a Thai... :D

Edited by Siam_superfly

has any one else experienced this? im sure you have.  You hail a cab, get in, great youve got a ride, but for some mysterious reason the cab driver tells you his meter doesent work....Its only his job, his bread and butter, but because you are farang he will guestimate your fare..which invariably will be 2 or 3 times the amount that you should pay..... :o

I've heard many people say this has been a problem for them before... in fact one of the first peices of advice I got when I started travelling to Thailand was not to use a taxi who doesn't use the meter. :D

However I can report that I have never had this problem, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it obviously does, but so far not to me... :D

totster :D

:o its was a trick for them to earn more, specially you are a foreigner. try to avoid them... check the meter when you got in and don't tell where are you going until the meter is not plug down, I my self got a sad experience about the taxi cab. we just came from a bussiness trip with my friend then got out from the airport and ride a taxi but I did not notice at first that the meter is not plug down. when we reach home then the taxi driver wanted to charge us 1600 THB but it was originally 500THB fare from Airport (Don Muang) to Samutprakan area. so we don't give him a sh*t, we got down unload our luggage, i gave him 800 THB and close our gate ... :D thats fair enough for those cheater... I told the taxi cab driver that if he doesn't want to move out from our place then I will call a police then he move his a*s but he's very angry with us... :D:D

Yes..many times.....I hate it if i forget to look to see if the driver has it on...if he doesnt have it on then I just get out if he says it doesnt work......

Yes- many times also, but I can't remember the last time.

I do the same thing- get out of the taxi if they won't start the meter or say it doesn't work. I've even been bold enough to open my door while moving to convince the driver to stop.

Having a very basic Thai vocabulary makes all the difference. If you greet the driver with a "Sawaddi krap" and tell him "Bai __________" it doesn't seem to happen. The driver knows that I'm no tourist and won't play his game.

Happens often.

I also just rescued this poor guy that's been in town all of 2 days and was being devoured alive by the Tuk-tuk extortion gang (directed to them by someone in the hotel, and was then taken to every hole-in-the-wall sex joing against his protests and charged 300-500 baht per beer).

And no, he didn't ask to be taken to girly bars because he's gay.

I've heard many people say this has been a problem for them before... in fact one of the first peices of advice I got when I started travelling to Thailand was not to use a taxi who doesn't use the meter. :D

However I can report that I have never had this problem, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it obviously does, but so far not to me... :D

when i first went to bkk i got this once or twice, but that was enough for me, now i hate it with a passion, as i continue to hail cabs when the traffic is not so bad, if they try to pull that one, its straight out of that cab and in to the next one for me :D

has any one else experienced this? im sure you have.  You hail a cab, get in, great youve got a ride, but for some mysterious reason the cab driver tells you his meter doesent work....Its only his job, his bread and butter, but because you are farang he will guestimate your fare..which invariably will be 2 or 3 times the amount that you should pay..... :D

when i first went to bkk i got this once or twice, but that was enough for me, now i hate it with a passion, as i continue to hail cabs when the traffic is not so bad, if they try to pull that one, its straight out of that cab and in to the next one for me :D

Mind you... I'm normally with my wife in BKK.... and she don't take any sh1t from anyone.... :o

Mind you... I'm normally with my wife in BKK.... and she don't take any sh1t from anyone....  :o

totster  :D

My GF won't either. When we ride in a taxi together, she will insist on exact change from the driver. I usually round up to the nearest 5 or 10. She gives me sh*t when I do this in front of her!

I don't take shit from them either, but sometimes I do feel as if I am taking a big risk just for calling them on their actions. The other day a low-life purposely missed the exit on my way to work and drove around so that the fare was double. I would have given him the usual 70 baht fare, but I only had 100 baht in change. So I gave him that, even though his inflated fare was 120. Do you know he had the nerve to give me the evil eye!

Today, I was in a taxi with this tourist friend and rode with him to his hotel (there's also a big possibility that the hotel is tampering with his credit card number), and I could not believe the blatant behavior of the taxi driver - he almost refused to give him proper change (keeping 60 baht out of 100). I went back and demanded that he return the money, and even then he kept 10 baht.

I have no problem tipping at all, but I cannot stand when people take it from me. That is a different story altogether. But I noticed that some tourists feel so overwhelmed that they let this kind of behavior slide.

As soon as they brought in meters to taxis in Bkk, I created a new common Thai phrase... Chai meter, chai mai? (using the meter, right??)

Instaneous understanding for both parties....

It will likely never in a million years benefit you to 'make a deal'...

And there usually plenty of fish for catching, right?

Hop out and try again. The driver maybe isn't being personal towards you, in my experiences with some of them. Taxi driving is a very competitive situation in Bkk, and they are playing the odds. They try the same on some Thais, or anyone else deemed pliable. Experience tells him that you are likely to agree (because of guilt, pity, or self-responsibility- all admirable traits in his mind, too!), but if he sees you're on the game, he'll often gladly do the meter, though that was not his first idea... A typical kind of 'negotiation' here, using whatever angle works, but if it doesn't, and he still hasn't felt insulted by you, he can easily switch back into being a good cab driver, or whatever. Like Muay Thai, no-holds-barred, but reasoned... They play corruption the same way, using fear (vs psychological pressure from the taxi guy) to get you to cooperate, and once you've 'settled' your differences, you're best buddies. Huge generalization, I know, but you get the idea...

Of course, mai pen rai whenever possible, in this kind of situation, because it hasn't gotten far in your case, it sounds, but if you're at your destination before you notice, well, gotta say som nan naa... Even a newbie should have some idea about some stuff here, I think. Those kinds of warnings are pretty much in every related resource I can think of...

The only time that I dont use the metre is if I go up country out of Bangkok...I negotiate the entire fare in advance, and agree to pay the toll ways and make sure that if I want to stay in the village for 5 hours and then come back to Bangkok, the taxi drivers understands this....coz they always start whinging when they get to the village that they want to go back now and earn more money in Bkk, instead of staying out here....but I laugh and say bad luck, u werent saying that when we spoke in Bangkok...and I never ever pay them one baht, even for fuel until they drop me back in Bangkok....and even then they ask for more baht , like they did me a favour by sticking to their agreement, but that is Thailand and I do pay a bit more when I get back.......

has any one else experienced this? im sure you have.  You hail a cab, get in, great youve got a ride, but for some mysterious reason the cab driver tells you his meter doesent work....Its only his job, his bread and butter, but because you are farang he will guestimate your fare..which invariably will be 2 or 3 times the amount that you should pay..... :D

The only time that I dont use the metre is if I go up country out of Bangkok...I negotiate the entire fare in advance, and agree to pay the toll ways and make sure that if I want to stay in the village for 5 hours and then come back to Bangkok, the taxi drivers understands this....coz they always start whinging when they get to the village that they want to go back now and earn more money in Bkk, instead of staying out here....but I laugh and say bad luck, u werent saying that when we spoke in Bangkok...and I never ever pay them one baht, even for fuel until they drop me back in Bangkok....and even then they ask for more baht , like they did me a favour by sticking to their agreement, but that is Thailand and I do pay a bit more when I get back.......

....and even then they ask for more baht , like they did me a favour by sticking to their agreement, but that is Thailand and I do pay a bit more when I get back.......

Great lesson! :D The tip at the end can only encourage him to continue to play by the rules the next time... :o

Yeah, I forgot about those long trips. Maybe you might benefit off the meter.... I'd be tempted to ask him to run the meter anyway, just out of curiousity. He might be curious to know, too, maybe? Since he shouldn't have to account to anyone for his meter readings, as it's a rented taxi, not a percentage split, he should be fine with doing that, I'd think.

....and even then they ask for more baht , like they did me a favour by sticking to their agreement, but that is Thailand and I do pay a bit more when I get back.......
Great lesson! :D The tip at the end can only encourage him to continue to play by the rules the next time... :o

Yeah, I forgot about those long trips. Maybe you might benefit off the meter.... I'd be tempted to ask him to run the meter anyway, just out of curiousity. He might be curious to know, too, maybe? Since he shouldn't have to account to anyone for his meter readings, as it's a rented taxi, not a percentage split, he should be fine with doing that, I'd think.

Now that would be interesting..... :D

Another place those scam artists like to get people is around the World Trade Center in the Pratunam section of Bangkok. When I was visiting my wife before we were married I happened to be down at the World Trade Center one day when a taxi guy quoted me 250 baht for the ride back home. Having read a lot from the travel books I already knew of this scam. I told him no, got out of the taxi and started walking away. He then called after me and quoted me 200 baht. I told him no again, caught the next cab and was on my way. The second guy switched his meter on after having driven about two blocks. The total for the journey was around 150...just what it should be.

I often take a taxi home to Ekamai from work on Sukhumvit Soi 23. This is obviously a tourist area (Soi Cowboy) so I get quotes of 300 to 500 baht. Many refuse to use the meter so I just get out and call another taxi. The fair is usually 51 or 53 baht depending on the traffic. Depending on the driver I may give a tip (change from 60 baht).

One thing I always make sure of is that I have several 20 baht notes and 10 baht coins because taxi drivers can NEVER and I mean NEVER give change.

Oh, I nearly forgot. How many of you have taken a taxi from the airport only to be asked for a 50 baht surcharge. Forget it. just hail another taxi. The taxis that take customers to the airport don't have to pay surcharge.

The taxis that take customers to the airport don't have to pay surcharge.

Normally they drop off at the departure level, and pick up at arrivals. What's the evidence that they just dropped off on another level? Or are you saying that you hail a taxi where it's not normally allowed? In that case, you're right. You shouldn't have to pay any surcharge... And neither is there any record of you getting in that cab if a problem arises later...

At the airport, I believe it pays to play it safe with the transportation from there and utilize the system they have in-place. Either take a taxi from the proper que, or get a 'limo' from the THAI desk... Many dangers lurk at Don Muang.

Oh, I nearly forgot. How many of you have taken a taxi from the airport only to be asked for a 50 baht surcharge. Forget it. just hail another taxi. The taxis that take customers to the airport don't have to pay surcharge.

That charge (from the airport) is official. Read the rate card. (Big yellow square sticker or laminated doodah which is required to be displayed, and actually is in around 80% of them.) Off the top of my head, that and expressway tolls are the only surcharges not displayed on the meter.

Mind you, I just walk the 100m extra to the exit and pick up a passing taxi on the main road... Come to think of it, I could just not tip them :o

Isn't the yellow plate with 4 digits numbers (like Q-1234) attached to the both sides of the rear doors for the purpose to identifying the vehicle when reporting a case like this to the authority? I heard the drivers can lose a license for scamming passengers if reported. But then I don't know what number to call (police or cab company?).

Generally I tend to avoid green/yellow private taxis. Not that I have been scammed by one of those drivers but I find blue/red cab drivers to be more well-mannered both in driving and attitude, generally speaking. Once I came across a driver (private cab) who appeared to be driving under the influence of yaa baa (oddly uneasy and nervous behavior).

Edited by Nordlys

I had an interesting experience at Suriwong/Patpong once. I struggled out with way too many bags of shopping and tried to hail a taxi. After three taxis had offered >200 baht for my minimum fare (while I'm speaking Thai, clearly sober and carrying my weekly shopping) I was getting more than a bit frustrated, edged up towards the policeman "managing" the queue, and with the next taxi, held the door open and asked VERY LOUDLY if his meter was working. And pretended not to hear his answer, and ASKED AGAIN.

The cop waved him on, flagged down another, gave the driver some careful instructions, and the meter was on before I got in. :o I wonder if the cop gave him a refund for that day...

I haven't pushed my luck by trying it again. Now I always cross Silom. The other side of Silom is in a different police district, and the taxi queue magically manages itself.

This happened last time I came home to the UK! In 11 years of going to LOS and using hundreds, if not thousands of taxis only happened twice. Strangely on leaving the same lady three years apart. No need to make a fuss just get out and don't give them anything, plenty of other taxis. Why people have to get into arguments or storm off leaving the cab door open I don't know.

Bkk drivers are pretty accommodating I find esp when you want to go for a long run. Last nov went from chat u jak at 7pm - patumtanni, well past it took 2 hours. He waited without having been paid until 2 am then drove us back to bkk for 900 baht. You get the odd bad one but it's a hard job and they have to put up with some shit--peter

Edited by thai3

One thing I always make sure of is that I have several 20 baht notes and 10 baht coins because taxi drivers can NEVER and I mean NEVER give change.

I like to pay with exact money as well, but on the few occasions where I haven't been able to, I have never had any problems getting change back from taxi drivers. On the contrary I have more than once received more change than I was owed (e.g. getting 40 baht change from a 100 baht note on a 63 baht taxi ride).

I have actually never had any problems (in Bangkok) with taxi drivers not wanting to use meters or trying to overcharge me. My only rule is never to get a stationary taxi from one of the "touristy" areas. I have on a few occasions been "taken for a ride", but never felt that the intention was to jack up the rate, rather I think the driver on those occasions was just trying avoid the worst traffic congestion. I could always see the logic in taking the alternative route, even though I didn't necessarily agree it would be quicker.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the only problems I have ever had with Bangkok Taxi drivers are their not infrequent unwillingness to go somewhere. But then again, I mostly user the Sky Train or the busses.

Sophon

As far as taxis from Don Muang are concerned, simply take the lift to the departures area and catch one from there, no walking and no surcharge! Easy.

Agreed, and in 5 years I've never been scammed as I always catch cruisers, never those guys parked up outside hotels or clubs. :o

Soi 22, and Patpong has some of the worst taxi scammers.

Happened to me recently in soi 36 which can be desolate at night.

This young and rough looking driver in one of the rare battered red and blue Toyota's wanted 500 baht to go to the airport where I was meeting a friend.

I smiled and got out as soon as he stopped at the Sukhumvit end of the road.

He then said, "Okay, okay 400" but I apologised and said it was too late, he shouldn't have tried to rip off The Gentleman Scamp in the first place. :o

In other words - tough sh*t.

Older drivers are better not to mention safer on that highway up to DM.

When they pull that stunt, you can either get the fck out of that cab and go for another. OR if you speak thai tell him to turn it on, if no joy then get out!

I've only experienced them try this one occasionally. More so when its raining and all the time at BKK airport. Solution for the airport is leave the main lobby and flag one down on the main highway! Works every time! If you really fancy it cross the highway and catch the train! :D