Thai Key-set For Apple Macbook Pro?

tvh13

I am about to purchase a new Macbook Pro while I am back in the US. When I come back to Thailand I would like to replace the keycaps with the English/Thai keyset that I see at the Apple sellers here in Thailand. Has anyone done this? I only want to replace the keycaps (cheap) not the whole keyboard (expensive).

I am interested to know if others have done this and if so how much it cost.

I've looked into this - a NZ MacBook Pro that came with me to NZ. You cannot buy the keycaps. Period. They will, however, replace your keyboard with an English/Thai keyboard at a cost of $2,300 baht; it will take between one and two weeks for them to replace it after they receive your machine.

I got a set of Eng/Thai stickers. Not backlit, obviously, but for 100 baht they'll do until the extended warranty runs out and I replace it myself. Doing it myself now would void the warranty.

Generally, I've not been happy with AppleCare service in Thailand. But, when my battery died, they replaced it at no cost, even though it's not a warranty item. I called the US and told them I couldn't get satisfaction from Bangkok, and 2 minutes later the replacement was approved. So...there is an option to appeal if Apple Thailand turns you down for something.

This MBP has been pretty much bullet-proof. Because of the heat here in Thailand, more often than not the temps rise well above their given range. This has been going on consistently for more than a year. I do have an external fan, the MPB up on small blocks to let the air circulate better, and this *usually* keeps the temps within range. But it just keeps going and going. I've finally topped out the 250gig HD, and am going to start looking for a 1TB drive to replace it - at least, I hope it will replace it. 500 gig would still be an improvement, as I want to start loading my DVDs onto it.

If you can touchtype in English, you can also save yourself the hassle of sticky stickers by having a window of the Thai characters in your computer screen, with "Keep On Top" or "Keep Afloat" option activated on the mac. At least that's what I do, but I usually remember the keys (especially lowercaps its easier). I'm not really used to looking at my keyboard and finding where are the Thai characters when my fingers are blocking it....... well thats what I do.. maybe different for you

Hey thanks for the great advice everyone. Less than $100 for a replace might be a good option. I wonder if I could do without my computer for a couple of weeks. Maybe go to the monastery for a couple of weeks meditation while it is getting replaced. I have looked for the stickers and had no luck whatsoever finding them. I'll keep looking I am sure I'll run into them.

Also hoping that the iPad will support Thai language soon.

Hey thanks for the great advice everyone. Less than $100 for a replace might be a good option. I wonder if I could do without my computer for a couple of weeks. Maybe go to the monastery for a couple of weeks meditation while it is getting replaced. I have looked for the stickers and had no luck whatsoever finding them. I'll keep looking I am sure I'll run into them.

Also hoping that the iPad will support Thai language soon.

They have the stickers in almost every computer shop in Thailand (and at many other places). They are really cheap. You can buy transparent stickers if your keyboard has light under the keys. You can get them in all colors at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/KEYBOARD-STICKERS-TR...R/dp/B002EX5F60

How about one of those Thai USB-keyboards?

Does anyone know if they are compatible with a Mac?

I know it kind of defies the (portable) purpose of a laptop, but for use at home it could be a good option.

Agree with you on the iPad. I haven't got a clue why Apple decided to skip Thai language support on the iPad, as it's basically the same OS as the iPhone.

• 2 months later...
I've finally topped out the 250gig HD, and am going to start looking for a 1TB drive to replace it - at least, I hope it will replace it. 500 gig would still be an improvement, as I want to start loading my DVDs onto it.

I purchased a S/H MacBook Pro, it had a 160GB HD quickly changed to a 500GB ""SATA" (serial ATA) HD" at Tuckcom in Pattaya 500 "SATA" was largest avalible 2 months ago (March 2010).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hate to bring up an old thread, the guy at the wannabe apple store in CentralFestival in Pattaya told me they sold key replacement packages on the apple website. Of course I check and I see the same stuff, the USB keyboard and the wireless keyboard, no replacement keys. One of the repair shops in Tukcom said he had received one a couple months back but said it went rather quickly as well.