Travels With My Cat

I have flown on TG with my cat many times without needing to have more than a rabies vaccine certificate but it seems regulations are getting stricter, or more strictly enforced...last time I flew they said I had to have a certificate issued by the airport Animal Quarantine dept. It was a Sunday and they were closed, and the airline had failed too inform me even though I notified them well in advance I was bringing a pet, so wityh soem difficulty I asrgued my way on board that time. I'll be flying again in a few weeks and ant to b sure I have whatever is required in advance.

Has anyone gone through this process of getting a certificate form animal quarantine? Is it difficult? How long after the certificate is issued is it valid for?

Thanks

-- Cat Lover

While I cant help with your problem im afraid, Id love to hear how things go for you normally travelling with your cat? Im looking to take my cat to Phuket from the UK if possible and im concerned how he will cope travelling for so long. How far did you travel with yours? Where was he kept during the flight? Was he drugged at all to relax him? How about food/drink/bathroom?

Thanks for any info.

-- Fellow Cat Lover

While I cant help with your problem im afraid, Id love to hear how things go for you normally travelling with your cat?  Im looking to take my cat to Phuket from the UK if possible and im concerned how he will cope travelling for so long.  How far did you travel with yours? Where was he kept during the flight?  Was he drugged at all to relax him? How about food/drink/bathroom?

Thanks for any info.

-- Fellow Cat Lover

I've not taken mine any further than Thailand-Cambodia and back (although I did once do it by car, which meant 12 hours).

I only take her on airlines that allow them with you in the cabin. Thai Airways does but you must inform them in advance and have rabiers certificate. They'll also want to know the weight of the cat and weight and dimensions of the carrying case.

Don't know the policies of other airlines flying out of UK.

I keep my angel directly under the seat so she can smell my presence. I also put my pajamas from the night before in the case for her to lie on so that she is surrounded by familiar smell, very important for cats.

I tried drugging her the first time and found it only made matters worse, especially the coming round afterwards in an unfamiliar setting. Also, many cats have paradoxical reactions to sedation and get agitated. Most vets advise against it.

My cat hates flying (and any other kind of travel) but survives it OK and is fine within an hour of the trip's end. (of course if you bring the cat to a new unfamiliar place then it will take longer)

I have a friend who has flown with cats from the east coast US to asia (30+ hours) -- she had 2 cats and actually bought an extra seat on the plane for them. They did fine.

Regarding food, water, bathroom -- generally cats will refuse to eat, drink or eliminate in unfamiliar or scary situations which airplanes definitely are. How long is the flight? You can jerry-rig a mini litter box to include in the case if it's much more than 12 hours, but he'll probably not use it. You can also offer small cups of water during the flight but ditto. I've had cats all my life, and my experinec is that unless survival absolutely requires it, they won't eat, drink or eliminate in insecure territory.

While I cant help with your problem im afraid, Id love to hear how things go for you normally travelling with your cat?  Im looking to take my cat to Phuket from the UK if possible and im concerned how he will cope travelling for so long.  How far did you travel with yours? Where was he kept during the flight?  Was he drugged at all to relax him? How about food/drink/bathroom?

Thanks for any info.

-- Fellow Cat Lover

We bought our cat from UK last year. Get a UK vets cert about a week before he/she is due to travel. We used the Pets travel at Heathrow and they did everything else. Problem was when we got to BKK. The doc had knocked off work. In the end to get the vet to come from home and clear our puss it cost us about 20,000 baht. We flew EVA,who insist on a ticket for the animal, but other airlines you can take it as luggage and wait for it on the carousel. Check first. If you go with the Pet travel option ( This is not the name of the company,I can't remember it exactly,but it's in yellow pages)your cat will be drugged for the flight,and will take up to a week to fully recover. The whole pakage from LHR-BKK costs around 700 pounds ( yes more expensive than a human) but as I said you might need more when he/she gets here. For us it was well worth it. Good luck.

Thanks for that both....

Must admit dont fancy poor kitty ending up on the carousel!! Well time to ponder what to do for now....he will be staying in the UK to start with at least, and see if its better for him to be adopted by a friend or come over.

Thanks for that both....

Must admit dont fancy poor kitty ending up on the carousel!!  Well time to ponder what to do for now....he will be staying in the UK to start with at least, and see if its better for him to be adopted by a friend or come over.

Our cat is 12 years old. He was quite sick in England, throwing up everywhere. (bit like me) But since he has been in Thailand he is like a kitten again. The vet in England said he would probably live a lot longer over here. We also have a Thai female pussy,one year old,so he's a bit like us in that respect as well. They chase each other all over the house. All in all I think he's really loving living in Thailand.

Thanks for that both....

Must admit dont fancy poor kitty ending up on the carousel!!  Well time to ponder what to do for now....he will be staying in the UK to start with at least, and see if its better for him to be adopted by a friend or come over.

CAROUSEL??? I wouldn't consider it!!!! Naturally, they would have to dope the ###### out of a cat to render it able to endure being with the baggage. With the immediate presence of owner to calm them (and minus the carousel bit) most cats will do better un-drugged. (I also wonder about the risks of that much sedation....I once lost a beloved cat to an anesthesia death and from that sounds of it this comes close to anesthesia. Of course most cats will do OK but I wonder what the percent is that don't)

Fly on an TG or another airline that lets you bring him on as carry-on baggage. The poor thing needs the comfort of your presence throughout the flight....and you'll feel better being able to see him and know he's OK.

regarding the previous post's saga about getting the cat cleared coming in...yes, technicaly you're supposed to go in to Animal Quarantine (room near the luggage caraousels) and fill out some papers. Everytime I've flown the cat in the room was desetrted and it has that seldom- anyone- in look...so I simply walked on through customs with no problem. It helps that the carry case I have looks like luggage from a distance not like an obvious per box (it's called Sherpa something and was designed by an airline stewardess, you can buy them online). Anyhow...not strictly kosher but I've done it multiple times as I much suspected following the formalities would end up something like they described.

:D:D:D

Could not resist this one :D

large.jpg:D

Mmhhhhhh "Nice legs, shame about the face", as the song goes. :o

Only pulling your leg. :D

Good Luck :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D