Thai Driver License Without International Drivers License

Ret

I have been hired to work in Thailand. My employer will provide all necessary documentation to prove I have a work permit.

I need to get a Thai Drivers License however I don't have a Drivers License from my own country. I'm a dual UK and Australian citizen.

Why I haven't got a license is simply because for the last 10 years I've always been driven by someone else and therefore didn't need one.

What is the procedure for obtaining a Thai Drivers License given I can't produce an International Drivers License/UK or Australian Drivers License. I am an experienced driver as I had a Drivers License in the USA many years ago which expired over 10 years ago.

I'm assuming I would need to take driving lessons and then provide answers to a Test.

If someone could please outline for me what I will need to do. Is there a booklet or download with Thai driving rules in English?

Any help is much appreciated.

hi,

You certainly picked one of the hardest things to do in Bangkok: take a Thai driver's license test in Thai. Language is the big issue because although you can take an interpreter with you, they will undoubtedly fail you the first few times just on principle (although the test itself is a pice of cake).

My advice is to get a license wherever you are now and then convert when you get here. Even a temporary driving permit may be enough - any document with a photo ID will suffice (the clerks dont read much English so the word 'temporary' could easily be overlooked) - anything to avoid the Thai test.

Above points aside, you should allow yourself some time to get familiar with the driving habits here before you get behind the wheel. Maybe get yourself a driver here first - salary 6,000 to 12,000 depending on the hours you want him to work.

Cheers

hi,

You certainly picked one of the hardest things to do in Bangkok: take a Thai driver's license test in Thai. Language is the big issue because although you can take an interpreter with you, they will undoubtedly fail you the first few times just on principle (although the test itself is a pice of cake).

My advice is to get a license wherever you are now and then convert when you get here. Even a temporary driving permit may be enough - any document with a photo ID will suffice (the clerks dont read much English so the word 'temporary' could easily be overlooked) - anything to avoid the Thai test.

Above points aside, you should allow yourself some time to get familiar with the driving habits here before you get behind the wheel. Maybe get yourself a driver here first - salary 6,000 to 12,000 depending on the hours you want him to work.

Cheers

That was quick.

Thanks very Much Richard.

I'm going to have to give this a lot of thought.

I'm currently in Singapore so I'll see if there is an option here for a Temporary Driving Permit.

I appreciate your insight.

Cheers

That was quick.

Thanks very Much Richard.

I'm going to have to give this a lot of thought.

I'm currently in Singapore so I'll see if there is an option here for a Temporary Driving Permit.

I appreciate your insight.

Cheers

If you can get Singapore driving license, you no need Thai driving license ..

Anyway, you don't need International driving permit to get Thai driving license, but you need local/country driving license (which you don't have).

Seems you have to go through all the procedures again to get Thai driving license ... I am sure there is also English version of test, but you need more patience with all procedures..

I have recently got Thai driving license in 30 Minutes as I got my local/country driving license.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Expired-Inte...en-t343686.html

I did the theory test in Sriracha late last year, it was in english.

Thanks Spoonman

Were you able to get an English language Driver handbook from somewhere? How did you know what to study for the theory?

You need an International Driving Permit to get a Thai licence, the Transport Department won't accept your National licence.

If you don't have the IDP you can sit the driving test, theory and practical.

The test is in English.

You don't need a work permit to get the licence, only a non-immigrant visa.

When my wife ws doing driving lessons the English handbook they gave her was the Singapore handbook so just pick one up while you're there.

Thanks Spoonman

Were you able to get an English language Driver handbook from somewhere? How did you know what to study for the theory?

Nope no english handbook, Prior to the test (electronic) I had to sit through a 2hr ordeal (in Thai) of watching videos and some spoken words from the "instructor".... the handbook was in Thai and was nothing more than pictures of street signs.

The test is a wank, I used common sense, the test is not based on common sense.

You need an International Driving Permit to get a Thai licence, the Transport Department won't accept your National licence.

The test is in English.

When my wife ws doing driving lessons the English handbook they gave her was the Singapore handbook so just pick one up while you're there.

You DON'T need "International Driving Permit" to get Thai driving license.. I just got it 2 weeks back.. you just need National license.. I applied in Main department of land and transportation opposite to JJ market.

He actually said he didnt need the residents certificate from Immigration because they took his work permit in place of that, makes sense. Others without the WP, would simply need to get a letter of residents from Immigration or embassy.

The test is in English.

You DON'T need "International Driving Permit" to get Thai driving license.. I just got it 2 weeks back.. you just need National license.. I applied in Main department of land and transportation opposite to JJ market.

This depends on what office you visit. I got my license out in the sticks and they would not take my national license despite my pleading that they would in Bangkok. They would have taken an IDP though. I just did the car and motorbike tests instead which are pretty easy.

The test is in English.

Not true you do not need international license to get a Thai license, I got mine at Mo Chit by producing a license from my country of origin, the only test was one to ensure not color blind and a Micky Mouse braking reaction test sat at a desk.

I did the Thai driving test for both motorbike and car 6 years ago in Kamphaengsaen (80kms from Bkk). I needed WP, passport and a letter from the embassy saying I lived here--I had a national licence but didn't bother trying to use it. The motorcycle test was in English, the car test was in Thai. One of the guys at the registration/testing office actually completed the car written test for me (!). The motorbike test was memorable for the question: "If you are tired, what do you do? A) pull over and go to sleep, :) have a cup of coffee or C) have an amphetamine pill". They made me sit through a 2 hour lecture in Thai. The actual driving/riding tests were a joke and deserve telling over a beer, not in the limited space of this forum. Total time from go to wo: 7 hours. A friend did the test in Kanchanaburi -- slightly different details but again, half a day.

I recently got my Thai licences renewed. This took only 4 hours by comparison (!!!). They made me do an eye-hand coordination test which was so fiddly but so completely useless to actual driving. I nearly failed it. I'm sure the lady tester took pity on me and passed me on my final attempt. Again I had to sit through a 90-minute video in Thai even though I was only renewing. 

As is everything in Thailand, everything is possible. Good luck.

A year ago I applied for a 1 year DL and needed my passport, WP. Medical certificate and my valid Texas, USA DL. I only had to take a color blindnes test and a periphial vision test. In and out in 40 minutes.

Today I applied for the 5 year DL and needed my passport, WP, Medical cetification and my expired 1 year Thai DL. In and out in about 30 minutes.

Both of these happened at Bangkok Land and Transportation office across from Chatuchak.

You were lucky. It's the same (or used to be the same) with any immigration procedures -- Bkk was always much faster. I think it has something to do with local chiefs trying to wield as much power as they can. In Bkk, they can't do this due to the sheer volume of people but in the sticks they can get away with it. When I lost my drivers licence, the head of the office said (besides the usual) they wanted a letter from my employer in order to renew it. I got it--it took 5 days-- and took it to the department but the person who processed the application refused to take it, saying it was not required. TIT.

I take it, you can renew your licences anywhere? Or are you restricted to the office you got it from? 

Edited by roguegrafix

Your comment below about needing a Thai work permit in order to obtain a Thai driver's license is at odds with reports by several posters above in this thread....

A year ago I applied for a 1 year DL and needed my passport, WP. Medical certificate and my valid Texas, USA DL. I only had to take a color blindnes test and a periphial vision test. In and out in 40 minutes.

Today I applied for the 5 year DL and needed my passport, WP, Medical cetification and my expired 1 year Thai DL. In and out in about 30 minutes.

Both of these happened at Bangkok Land and Transportation office across from Chatuchak.

You were lucky. It's the same (or used to be the same) with any immigration procedures -- Bkk was always much faster. I think it has something to do with local chiefs trying to wield as much power as they can. In Bkk, they can't do this due to the sheer volume of people but in the sticks they can get away with it. When I lost my drivers licence, the head of the office said (besides the usual) they wanted a letter from my employer in order to renew it. I got it--it took 5 days-- and took it to the department but the person who processed the application refused to take it, saying it was not required. TIT.

I take it, you can renew your licences anywhere? Or are you restricted to the office you got it from?

who you mean? me? if ur talking to me, i dont have a thai license yet. what i have is uploaded here u can see a few posts up. i was just wondering if it will be easy for me to get a thai DL without going all those routine tests. exams..

Your comment below about needing a Thai work permit in order to obtain a Thai driver's license is at odds with reports by several posters above in this thread....

I was just stating what I brought along and what worked for me. I wasn't saying you needed a WP. I called ahead and was told to bring my WP to prove my residency. I am sure a Residency Certificate would work also.

By the way, in the 'written' (computer) test you are allowed to bring in the drivers handbook.

At least the Thais in the Pattaya Transport Department were when I was taking my test.

Sounds like it may b possible to use your national licence to get a Thai licence in Bangkok, but in Pattaya you definitely need an IDP.

TIT

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Even without a previous license, the process is simple.

Show up at the Traffic Department with all the required documents at around 8am. Get your vision tested. Do the computerized test in English. Should be around 11:30 by then. Go grab lunch between noon and 1 and then head over to the driving test area.

Drive through their little circuit, stop at the stop signs, stop on the slope for about 5 seconds then resume forwards, and finally parallel park the vehicle properly. This concludes the test!

Head over to the waiting area and pick up your license by about 2 or 3pm.

Simple!

gallery_43127_1262_77819.jpg

will this be accepted in thailand? and also can i convert it to a thai license?

This should be enough.. better check again..

I thought those UN IDPs are a joke, you can buy them on the Internet.

Unless the poster has a UN passport?

They are a joke and not "legal"......do a bit of research on TV and will see threads which prove this.....Real IDP's are only issued by a recognised entity in your own country...ie AA in the UK, AAA in the US....not sure about Aussie and in Thailand by the motor department in Chatuchak.

The Thai BiB may be dumb enough to accept them, but it still make them "legal"

gallery_43127_1262_77819.jpg

will this be accepted in thailand? and also can i convert it to a thai license?

This should be enough.. better check again..

I thought those UN IDPs are a joke, you can buy them on the Internet.

Unless the poster has a UN passport?

The licence has to be backed by your home country driver license , they are not a stand alone license. The license on the Internet are of no good if they do not have your information from your home license and are not officially endorsed. You can not just use an IDP to acquire another license.

• 5 months later...

If your renewing your license then you've done this before so you remember of course your

200 baht residence permit that you procured from the immigration office that's located

in the same province that your apartments address that is on your rental agreement that you

gave to immigration along with your passport picture? So of course you would have to go to

the same drivers office as that immigration and your address is located.

But even if you do that you will not pass the written like you did before because

they won't give you the English version of the handbook that you sat and read while

you were in the drivers office last time Right? remember?

English version of Thai drivers hand book. WHERE?

If I'd of know that 3 years ago I would have scanned one

and been a millionaire by now selling them on the streets of Pattaya.