Australian Tourist On Phuket Drugs Rap

webfact

I feel sorry for the guy, He was silly to have done what He did....But

How many of you people have procurred the services of a prostitute in Thailand and broken the law, or ridden a motorbike without a helmet, or drink drove or......... the list goes on.

People like living here because they believe it is not a over policed enviroment, that is untill you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What a load of rubbish. Why do people constantly try to defend one set of laws by referring to a completely different set of laws to get their point accross? :)

Because its the truth, you throw down on the guy for his stupidity, yet most of you break the law, if He is an Aussie he would get in as much trouble back home for the dope as he would for hiring a Whore. You have to keep things in perspective, I don't condone His behaviour and I am certainly not of the opinion that Dope has no side effects. But each to there own.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

Aussie awaits Phuket drug trial

gallery_327_1086_115932.jpg

Mr Beaver (far right) with other drug suspects at Chalong Police Station in Phuket.

PHUKET: -- An Australian man arrested for possession of marijuana in Phuket faces a possible prison sentence of up to a year and a fine of up to 20,000 baht.

Richard Beaver, 28, was arrested on March 16 by Chalong Police and presented in court the next day.

The tourist, who is currently out on bail, is awaiting formal charges to be filed by the prosecutor, a process that can take up to 84 days.

Mr Beaver entered Thailand on March 10 and planned to stay for one month.

“Right now we are still investigating and collecting evidence and it may take a month until we can send the case to the prosecutor. After that, it is up to the prosecutor to decide on a trial date,” said Duty Officer Tianchai Duangsuwan.

“Although out on bail, the suspect must remain in Thailand until the conclusion of the case,” he added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-03-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I feel sorry for the guy, He was silly to have done what He did....But

How many of you people have procurred the services of a prostitute in Thailand and broken the law, or ridden a motorbike without a helmet, or drink drove or......... the list goes on.

People like living here because they believe it is not a over policed enviroment, that is untill you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What a load of rubbish. Why do people constantly try to defend one set of laws by referring to a completely different set of laws to get their point accross? :)

Because its the truth, you throw down on the guy for his stupidity, yet most of you break the law, if He is an Aussie he would get in as much trouble back home for the dope as he would for hiring a Whore. You have to keep things in perspective, I don't condone His behaviour and I am certainly not of the opinion that Dope has no side effects. But each to there own.

Rick,

You are trying to justify the breach of one law by pointing out people breaking others. The world of responsibility doesnt work like that.....ie: "Its okay to only half beat someone to death, because Mr X murdered somebody and nobody did anything about it".

Keeping this in perspective, this dope played with dope in a place where it is common knowledge that doing so may have seriously implications. :D

I sympathize for the guy and i don't think weed should be illegal if you compare it with alcohol its far less damaging. Most intelligent people get this point. On the other hand its illegal here so he should not have done it and now he has to face the consequences.

t

Neverdie

You and I both understand the consequences of playing with drugs in Thailand, Maybe a 30 something from the back of Burke does not, remember the first time you came here swept up in the the euphoria that is Thailand, people do silly things here, get married, buy houses in others names, jump of balconies. All I am saying is a lot of people throw down on tourists when things go wrong and this sort of attitude is a double edged sword things can go pear shaped here for anybody anytime.

I'm with neverdie on this one. The cops have done a fantastic job in taking another Mr Big off the streets (even if he is out on bail). :)

Reading between the lines, it is quite possible that buying 1g of ganja was just a test run, with his intention being to later buy 20kg of smack, and smuggle it back to Oz (or Canada) in his underwear. :D

A very interesting documentary:

A team of leading scientists have spent two years analysing the effects of 20 of Britain’s most widely used drugs, and have devised a scientifically rigorous – and controversial – new ranking for them.

The BBC’s Horizon programme has followed their research and looks at the science behind the headlines.

How do the brain and body react to each stimulant as it passes into the bloodstream, and what are the long-term effects of drugs relative to their classification?

If the current classification should be changed in view of the latest findings, what exactly is Britain’s most dangerous drug?

Here is the link

Neverdie

You and I both understand the consequences of playing with drugs in Thailand, Maybe a 30 something from the back of Burke does not, remember the first time you came here swept up in the the euphoria that is Thailand, people do silly things here, get married, buy houses in others names, jump of balconies. All I am saying is a lot of people throw down on tourists when things go wrong and this sort of attitude is a double edged sword things can go pear shaped here for anybody anytime.

Sure, I understand what you are saying. :)

I'm with neverdie on this one. The cops have done a fantastic job in taking another Mr Big off the streets (even if he is out on bail). :)

Reading between the lines, it is quite possible that buying 1g of ganja was just a test run, with his intention being to later buy 20kg of smack, and smuggle it back to Oz (or Canada) in his underwear. :D

:D Ohhhhh ho ho ho, jackyspratt made a funny. :D

Whether its 1g or a million tonnes, its still illegal. Surely thats not too hard for you to understand Jack. I never suggested he was going to traffic the stuff, thats besides the point. Jack you really need to get over that incident with the police baton and your freckle. :D

I sympathize for the guy and i don't think weed should be illegal if you compare it with alcohol its far less damaging. Most intelligent people get this point. On the other hand its illegal here so he should not have done it and now he has to face the consequences.

t

A common misconception is that Cannabis is not damaging. I don't know what your qualification is robblok, nor that of the other 'intelligent' people (pot smokers) you refer to but theres a fair bit of evidence that links the stuff to a number of psychological disorders & other conditions.......some of that stuff was written by some fairly intelligent people, bloke :)

A very interesting documentary:

A team of leading scientists have spent two years analysing the effects of 20 of Britain’s most widely used drugs, and have devised a scientifically rigorous – and controversial – new ranking for them.

The BBC’s Horizon programme has followed their research and looks at the science behind the headlines.

How do the brain and body react to each stimulant as it passes into the bloodstream, and what are the long-term effects of drugs relative to their classification?

If the current classification should be changed in view of the latest findings, what exactly is Britain’s most dangerous drug?

Here is the link

Yes, quite an interesting new observation on the drug issues of the day.

Several that I never encountered.

I have never in many decades found any observable cases of psychosis

in any pot smokers I have ever met. Lung cancer would worry me much more.

Edited by animatic

Yes, quite an interesting new observation on the drug issues of the day.

Several that I never encountered.

I have never in many decades found any observable cases of psychosis

in any pot smokers I have ever met. Lung cancer would worry me much more.

I guess it would depend on where you are, or where you are working, however I have come across a number of cases of cannabis induced Psychosis. For information purposes ICD 10 and DSM IV, both recognise it - although in slightly different wording.

As we all know, the law can sometimes be an ass. We should not be reluctant to question the law, and agitate for the abolishment of some of the sillier ones.

Personally, I approach the issue by asking a question: Who got hurt? (Or who was at risk of being hurt?)

In this case, the answer seems to be nobody. Or maybe, at most, the 'criminal' was at risk of hurting himself.

So who the hel_l cares? Why should it bother you? It was illegal yes, but that just means the law is stupid in this case.

The guy didn't steal anything, or hit, stab or shoot anyone. He didn't rape anybody. He didn't ruin somebody's day in the way that a flasher or drunk and disorderly person might.

I would suggest that the police that arrested the guy have caused 100 times more harm to others than the 'criminal' ever has.

We need to get our priorities straight.

I had a mate that had schizophrenia and he was a pot smoker. I am pretty sure the links between pot and schizophrenia have been established. They beleive that it can trigger the mental illness in people that have a pre disposition to it.

I had a mate that had schizophrenia and he was a pot smoker. I am pretty sure the links between pot and schizophrenia have been established. They beleive that it can trigger the mental illness in people that have a pre disposition to it.

Yes it has. Particularly in those under 18. Adults not so much. There is also a pretty firm link between Schizophrenia and consuming alcohol when under 18 as well.

Yes it has. Particularly in those under 18. Adults not so much. There is also a pretty firm link between Schizophrenia and consuming alcohol when under 18 as well.

And one makes people nutzo on the street, and in cars killing people in accidents or fights,

and that one is totally legal, and taxed to the hilt, with it's own lobby,

and still sold regardless of purchasers mental or genetic susceptibility to illness like schizophrenia...

or just plain falling down alcoholic drunkenness.

Someone ready to turn schizophrenic will likely do so at some point,

If THC can trigger it earlier this is not a good thing, but alcohol can too.

I am not for the young having pot or alcohol anyway, so proper regulation is still called for.

The test I saw in this British video was an extremely high doses of refined THC given to patients via IV,

clearly bordering on overdose amounts, and sorry, but your average smoker never even thinks to take

as much as was OBVIOUSLY administered. So yes, too much of anything can make your mind do unexpected things.

But this seemed to push the envelope till it DEVELOPED some symptoms, and not testing what happens in typical use,

which for me is meaningful.

in 40+ years of knowing low use and high usage pot smoking people,

I have never seen anyone of them with schizophrenia.

While I have seen several schizophrenics over the years, none were pot smokers.

Now I have seen many of those other drugs cause complete mental breakdowns referencing reality,

including alcohol.... much more worrying.

Edited by animatic

Well as a person that smoked and no longer does, I have seen a pot smoking friend with schizophrenia. It is a proven trigger for mental illness, maybe something else might have triggered it but the evidence heavily said pot, if he abstained and took his meds he was fine but if he so much as looked at a bong he would go down hill again. Even when I was a daily smoker I always new that there health side effects that I accepted, it never ceases to amaze me that people are willing to fool themselves that there are no side effects. I can't touch the stuff now as I get paranoia, which is a shame because I still feel it has benefits... but they do come with certain risks.

...if he abstained and took his meds he was fine...

Gotta think a whole lot of that is the latter part,

likely he gets too stoned and ignores his meds, and so off the cliff again.

Seems he was a schizophrenic who happened to smoke pot.

I am not poo pooing the probable connection as a trigger,

but not staying on your meds makes the case for not maintaining proper medication levels.

Now if you told me he stayed on his meds and was fine

and ONLY went bad when he smoked AND kept up the meds,

I could find that a more complete rational.

Dropping the meds when smoking invalidates that it is solely the smoking that is the cause.

I think it is agreed that schizophrenics should not smoke pot.

I want to know what does this guy have to do about his visa if as stated

The tourist, who is currently out on bail, is awaiting formal charges to be filed by the prosecutor, a process that can take up to 84 days

and he was planning on only being here a month, so while on bail what happens about it ..colino

Colino

I want to know what does this guy have to do about his visa if as stated

The tourist, who is currently out on bail, is awaiting formal charges to be filed by the prosecutor,

a process that can take up to 84 days

and he was planning on only being here a month, so while on bail what happens about it ..colino

Colino

No doubt if he is out on bail his passport is being held,

and they will charge him cash on the barrel head for overstays and visa changes etc.

a 30 day visa can be extended for a FEE to 90 days, so he is about timed out for a

quick exit minus a good chunk of his life savings wired into LOS.

Once convicted it makes no difference a jail sentence is equivalent to a visa...

They just drive you to the plane when time's served and throw your ass out of Thailand.

...if he abstained and took his meds he was fine...

Gotta think a whole lot of that is the latter part,

likely he gets too stoned and ignores his meds, and so off the cliff again.

Seems he was a schizophrenic who happened to smoke pot.

I am not poo pooing the probable connection as a trigger,

but not staying on your meds makes the case for not maintaining proper medication levels.

Now if you told me he stayed on his meds and was fine

and ONLY went bad when he smoked AND kept up the meds,

I could find that a more complete rational.

Dropping the meds when smoking invalidates that it is solely the smoking that is the cause.

I think it is agreed that schizophrenics should not smoke pot.

He never had any symptoms or was diagnosed with Schizophrenia until maybe his early 20's he had been a daily smoker since maybe the age of 18, normal well adjusted dude who suddenly started hearing voices, voices that would tell him to do crazy things like turn all the furniture upside down, stuff like that.

By saying he was right so long as he took his meds, his schozophrenia still went off the rails if he smoked and stayed on the meds. For him dope was the catalyst 100%.

I have no problem with pot, I do have a problem towing the line that pot is in no means harmfull, most on the market now is hydro, what happens when your local grower would rather have the money in his pocket a week earlier than flushing the hydro system with clean water, all those nasty residues that are left in the plant, anti-fungals, fertilizers and other nasty chemicals that you in turn light up when you smoke.

But as the natives say, up to you.

Edited by rick75

UPDATE

Aussie awaits Phuket drug trial

gallery_327_1086_115932.jpg

Mr Beaver (far right) with other drug suspects at Chalong Police Station in Phuket.

PHUKET: -- An Australian man arrested for possession of marijuana in Phuket faces a possible prison sentence of up to a year and a fine of up to 20,000 baht.

Richard Beaver, 28, was arrested on March 16 by Chalong Police and presented in court the next day.

The tourist, who is currently out on bail, is awaiting formal charges to be filed by the prosecutor, a process that can take up to 84 days.

Mr Beaver entered Thailand on March 10 and planned to stay for one month.

"Right now we are still investigating and collecting evidence and it may take a month until we can send the case to the prosecutor. After that, it is up to the prosecutor to decide on a trial date," said Duty Officer Tianchai Duangsuwan.

"Although out on bail, the suspect must remain in Thailand until the conclusion of the case," he added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-03-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Does anyone else find it interesting that that TV star Athip Nana, who was caught with 31 grams of pot and .2 grams of cocaine, received a two year suspended sentence and a 12,000thb fine?

I think the biggest danger with pot smoking is that if done regularly it destroys your drive and ambition.

Heavy Pot smokers by and large are underachievers.

This can have serious consequences for life and career.

The other issue of course is the smoking itself which is inhaled quite deeply and if using bongs leads to lots of chest infections and long term use to lung conditions like cancer and emphysema.

Casual use is pretty harmless imho.

As for the person caught well you should never let yourself be vulnerable in places like Thailand because there is always people willing to take advantage. Don't smoke pot in Thailand or take any drugs coz you never know what will happen.

Having said that the laws are stupid but if you want to blame anyone blame the Americans for a lot of these draconian drug laws around the world because if you do a bit of research you will see it is US govt pressure that has changed many of trhe drug laws in countries like Thailand.

Edited by Tolley

I think the biggest danger with pot smoking is that if done regularly it destroys your drive and ambition.

Heavy Pot smokers by and large are underachievers.

This can have serious consequences for life and career.

The other issue of course is the smoking itself which is inhaled quite deeply and if using bongs leads to lots of chest infections and long term use to lung conditions like cancer and emphysema.

Casual use is pretty harmless imho.

As for the person caught well you should never let yourself be vulnerable in places like Thailand because there is always people willing to take advantage. Don't smoke pot in Thailand or take any drugs coz you never know what will happen.

Having said that the laws are stupid but if you want to blame anyone blame the Americans for a lot of these draconian drug laws around the world because if you do a bit of research you will see it is US govt pressure that has changed many of trhe drug laws in countries like Thailand.

its a good about the post of the effects and risks of weed and laws but you missed out on enforcement issues.

The US and Europe has forced many laws in order to grant trade access. The key is enforcement. Thailand put prostitution on the books for example to get a favorable treaty but thumbed their nose with nearly no enforcement ever of the law.

Thailand enforces drug laws because they want to and has something to do with their nearby countries like Malaysia, Singapore who are very strict. Historically the opium problem in the region was a big national security issue as it can be used to fund insurgencies etc. Again this national security issue surfaced with Myanmar trying to flood thailand with meth.

Opium is/was a major sore point with China because they lost Hong Kong, Macau way back and had to grant access to the mainland for missionaries as a settlement to the opium wars.

It's fairly hard to blame the US now when its nearly legal in California and medicalized/decriminalized in 15 states or something. Indeed its on the ballot this year for full legalization in California later this year.