Flat Screen Tv Information

nam-thip

Can anyone give me some information on flat screen TV’s.

I’m thinking of buying a Samsung flat screen 42” or 46” unless anyone can convince me of a better buy.

I don’t see any point in paying for a series 8 Samsung at 120-150.000+ baht or any other brand of TV that has HD facility when HD is not yet freely available in Thailand.

What sort of features should I be looking for?

I have UBC but does the signal/picture quality justify anything other than Plasma?

It's unlikely i'll be running my computer via the TV screen.

Any input appreciated.

Actually the picture quality of cable/ota reception here does not justify any HD purchase. But you can download both 720 and 1080 so expect it will not be long before at least 720 is common on the stands here. You do want at least 720HD for a new unit (they are standard).

Get yourself a Full HD (1080) model - you will not regret it in the end.

Whilst UBC etc isnt HD yet, it will be at some point, plus if you download stuff its easy to get the HD version nowadays

I saw a 50" Plasma for sale in Power Buy for around 40k and a similar size LCD for around 50k, both Full HD

But AFAIK TV HD is 720 line not 1080 so unless you have Blue-Ray or are using computer the 1080 model is not going to provide anything the 720 model does not (at a much lower price). If I am wrong on that and 1080 is about to become available on mainstream media will quickly change my opinion as to what is good value.

I bought a 42" Samsung 6 series from Siam TV in Chiangmai last year after comparing all the models that I could and haven't regretted it, paid 41,000 Baht but they're probably cheaper now, although some places were trying to sell them for up to 10,000 Baht more. That said I bought a 32" Samsung 6 series LCD when I got back to UK for £600 complete with Freeview etc etc and I have to say that the difference in picture quality between the LCD and non LCD is amazing. I've no idea how much LCD TV's are here in Thailand nor if you can buy a 42" model but they're much better in my opinion and well worth the 15% extra that they were in the UK. Incidentally the models that are available in the UK seem slightly more advanced and are definitely better value but you can't do anything about that. Both have been reliable and I've had no complaints. The one I have here is made in China; the one in the UK was made in Slovakia.

Thanks guys.

Point taken about what the future may hold with UBC with regard to a HD signal.

It looks like i might go for the Samsung LCD version but maybe opt for a series 6 to keep my costs down.

Not sure yet whether to go for a 42" or 46"

At the moment i have a rather old Samsung 43" big box TV which at the time was hip but now looks very dated.

Question: What does 720 mean in relation to the TV?

Edited by nam-thip

The vertical digital screen resolution of the TV set. Most LCD TV's sold as HD in Thailand are 720 unless they specifically state 1080.

It is like the screen resolution of your computer. My laptop is currently at 1366x768 so the 720 HD would be about the same quality as my computer screen.

1080 is currently the highest quality production display and with media made for it will be extremely sharp. But for those of us used to OTA TV and Batamax 720 is still outstanding.

I recently decided to replace my Sony 43" big box TV as well, it was 7 years old. Bought a 50" Panasonic plasma at Powerbuy that was on sale. I don't like the 16:9 aspect ratio, everybody looks short and fat, with the aspect ratio at 14:9 people look normal and the picture is about the same size as the old 43" TV.

Even the cheapest LCD sets should have a setting to allow full 16 width but cut off top/bottom to maintain proper ratio. Agree stretch mode changing a 4/3 to 16/9 makes for some fat faced people and egg shaped circles.

But AFAIK TV HD is 720 line not 1080 so unless you have Blue-Ray or are using computer the 1080 model is not going to provide anything the 720 model does not (at a much lower price). If I am wrong on that and 1080 is about to become available on mainstream media will quickly change my opinion as to what is good value.

Are high definition video cameras 720 or 1080? If 1080, it might be another good reason to get a full HDTV.