Is Buddhism In Thailand Different?

tariq

I've been to Thailand a few times now. I've watched Thai people at Temples and shrines in the streets, bars and by shops and observed how devoted they are or at least appear to be (I'm in no way doubting their sincerity incase anyone thinks I am).

I'm from the UK and you just don't see this devotion in everyday life here.I'm not a religious person and doubt I ever will be but if I was going to be then Buddhism would be a religion that I would be interested in especially as it seems to be so much different to the other 'big' religions.

Most of the 'big' religions have diffe rent types and I was wandering if Buddhism in Thailand was in any way different to Buddhism in India or anywhere else?

Has anyone else who was either non-religious or followed a different religion converted to Buddhism as a result of their visits to Thailand? What was it that converted you?

I've been to Thailand a few times now. I've watched Thai people at Temples and shrines in the streets, bars and by shops and observed how devoted they are or at least appear to be (I'm in no way doubting their sincerity incase anyone thinks I am).

I'm from the UK and you just don't see this devotion in  everyday life here.I'm not a religious person and doubt I ever will be but if I was going to be then Buddhism would be a religion that I would be interested in especially as it  seems to be so much different to the other 'big' religions.

Most of the 'big' religions have diffe rent types and I was wandering if Buddhism in Thailand was in any way different to Buddhism in India or anywhere else?

Has anyone else who was either non-religious or followed a different religion converted to Buddhism as a result of their visits to Thailand? What was it that converted you?

There are many types of Buddhism around the world and they are all different. It is a really big subject and I suggest you go on the web and look. Google will come up with a ton of stuff I'm sure. Do you know how to google? If not let me know and I'll instruct.

Buddhism is very different, in my experience.

In India they have "Mahayana." This is the same as in Tibet, Mongolia and Nepal.

In Thailand and Sri Lanka they have "Therevada".

I don't know much about the other countries, Japan, China.

Maybe someone here can enlighten us.

A good question for a topic, especially on this holiday.

Do you know how to google? If not let me know and I'll instruct.

I will take a stab in the dark and say that this guy does not practise meditation/Buddhism :o

Maybe the mods should move it tot the Buddhism section here, as it has no smart <deleted>.

As with most if not all major religions, Buddhism in Thailand is a mixed bag. A broad mixture of religions, beliefs, customs, and a few wise mens ideas...all combined and touted to be 'real Buddhism. Even within Thailand there are many many different Buddhists 'sects' with vastly differing beliefs. It is not so uncommon for a population to have varying devoutness - every country and religion on the planet has that common trait amongst its devotees.

Does Buddhism, here in Thailand or anywhere else inthe world hold the truths you seek - only you can find that out for yourself.

Edited by Flysiam

I suggest you read John Snelling's The Buddhist Handbook. It contains the answers to all your questions and is an easy read.

Basically, Buddhism over the ages spilt into three major schools, Theravada (existing now in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Burma, etc), Mahayana (existing now in most of East Asia and including Zen), and Vajrayana (mainly Tibet), and numerous sub-sects. But they all agree on the basic beliefs. Buddhism was all but wiped out in India when the invading Muslims arrrived, but it's staged a bit of a come-back in recent years.

In Thailand we have the "popular Buddhism" which involves a lot of ritual and making merit, and there is the deeper side of Buddhism, which means meditating and practising dharma.

I believe most Thais would consider themselves devout Buddhists because they make merit, pay respect to Buddha images and do other things which serve a social function. This is roughly the equivalent of going to church every Sunday and considering yourself a pious Christian. There is a deeper level which really depends on whether you follow the core beliefs or not.

A lot of Westerners come to Buddhism through reading about it (initially) and finding that it makes sense. I doubt many would come to it just from visiting Thailand.

Buddhism was affected by the different cultures of the countries it went to.

I have only seriously looked into Buddhism in Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Burma. Altough all of these coutnries are considered to host Theravada buddhism, it is different in each of them. Common practices are different. Even the Vinaya is interepeted differently at each of them.

Some differences:

- Burmese laypeople take meditation as a very important practice. Many of them are actively involved in it. Thais and Sri Lankans usually leave it to the monks.

- In Thailand you will find these little "ghost temples" everywhere - but not in Sri Lanka or Myanmar.

- In Thailand and Myanmar it is perfectly accepted to ordain for very short periods. In Sri Lanka - it's a commitment for a lifetime. Disrobing is a disgrace.

- The chanting is different. It is mostly Pali in Sri Lanka (as their language is very close to Pali anyway). In Thailand and Myanmar they use both Pali and the local language.

- An example from the Monks rules - a monk cannot touch a woman, of course, in all three, but in thailand they took it to the extreme that a monk cannot accept an object directly from a woman. There needs to be an extra separation between them. In Sri Lanka and Myanmar they are not that strict.

It is believed by some that Sri Lanka is leading in the accuracy of Teachings and texts, Thailand in strict interpretation of the Vinaya, and Myanmar in Meditation techniques. Of course, this wide generalization should be taken carefuly.

Then if you look at Mahayana, you will find much greater differences. The texts are different and so are the practices. Even the ultimate purpose in Theravada and Mahayana is not the same.

Edited by ~G~

Buddhism is very different, in my experience.

In India they have "Mahayana." This is the same as in Tibet, Mongolia and Nepal.

In Thailand and Sri Lanka they have "Therevada".

I don't know much about the other countries, Japan, China.

Maybe someone here can enlighten us.

A good question for a topic, especially on this holiday.

I will take a stab in the dark and say that this guy does not practise meditation/Buddhism :o

Maybe the mods should move it tot the Buddhism section here, as it has no smart <deleted>.

A stab in the dark? This is the first time I have ever offered to teach someone how to google. I used to think that everyone on the web new how to do that but I recently read an article that indicated that a lot of newbies don't know how to do it. The original post led me to believe that the person had done no research on Buddhism at all and was making a 'stab in the dark' in an effort to learn about Buddhism. I thought, and still do think, that the originator could benefit by googling for information on Buddhism...the originator might even find links to TV by googling. As to the Buddhism section, since both you and I look there occasionally I guess it does have smart <deleted>.

I'll take a stab in the dark and say that this guy is an enlightenment snob. But how would I know since I probably don't meditate anyway?

A stab in the dark? This is the first time I have ever offered to teach someone how to google. I used to think that everyone on the web new how to do that but I recently read an article that indicated that a lot of newbies don't know how to do it. The original post led me to believe that the person had done no research on Buddhism at all and was making a 'stab in the dark' in an effort to learn about Buddhism. I thought, and still do think, that the originator could benefit by googling for information on Buddhism...the originator might even find links to TV by googling. As to the Buddhism section, since both you and I look there occasionally I guess it does have smart <deleted>.

Well you're right I hadn't searched on Google although I do know how to google Thanks for yur offer but not needed). I decided to send the post purely because at this moment in time I only want to look up Buddhism in Thailand and because I didn't know if Thai Buddhism was different then I thought I'd same myself a lot of time researching topics that weren't absolutely relevant to my requirement if I asked TV ....hence the post.