Red Shirt Rally Fallout: Tourists Cancel 1,000 Rooms Per Day In Bangkok

george

Red Shirt rally fallout: Tourists cancel 1,000 rooms per day in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Hotels Association said Thursday that room cancellations in Bangkok have been made at about 1,000 rooms per day, although the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has assessed Red Shirt demonstration in the capital has not had a great impact on tourism so far.

Thai Hotels Association director Sakrin Chorsawai said the demonstration has affected tourism operators, particularly in hotel businesses in Bangkok.

A significant drop in the number of foreign tourists was seen and room reservations fell some 10-20 per cent. About 1,000 rooms were canceled daily on average as tourists feared possible violence during the mass demonstrations, in particular from March 12-23, Mr Sakrin said.

However, tourism operators in other regions have not been affected, and are enjoying a normal rate of hotel bookings, he said.

Local tourists, who are worried about the political situation, do not travel. If the demonstration is prolonged, its negative effects on tourism will be clearly seen, said Mr Sakrin.

Meanwhile, TAT director Surapol Svetasreni said the tourism in January and February had recovered but since the Red Shirt protest began in Bangkok last week, the national agency is vigilant on the current situation to alleviate and to minimise possible effects on tourism.

TAT’s promotional campaign this year still focuses on overseas roadshows and targets the number of foreign tourists at 15 million people in 2010.

About 100,000 of supporters of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra gathered on Rajdamnoen Avenue on Sunday with an aim to topple the government.

They intensified their campaign without violence by collecting their blood to pour at Government House, the Democrat party headquarters and the house of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva but failed to force him to dissolve the House and to call snap election.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Local tourists, who are worried about the political situation, do not travel. If the demonstration is prolonged, its negative effects on tourism will be clearly seen, said Mr Sakrin.

I don't know if I'd agree with that, I know a lot of people, (both Thai and foreign), who used the long weekend to their advantage, and went to the beach. I wish I could have gone, but I had work to do. :)

I'm with Meridian on this. I believe that tourists that have already paid for the ticket to Thailand just shifted elsewhere. BKK operations were not disrupted and if you look at the availability of airline seats since the start of the protests, there was an uptick in seats sold to other Thai destinations. As well, package tourists visiting BKK were not in the hotzones.

This is one time that TAT maybe telling the truth.

Yes TAT is telling the truth this time. As my business which depend on tourists has suffered a lot during the Red Rally

They Red Shirt should not expact any sympathy from the Bangkok middle class after what the result of their actions. Most of the Bangkok Middle class depends on the tourism and what the tourism income indirectly effect them

Yes TAT is telling the truth this time. As my business which depend on tourists has suffered a lot during the Red Rally

They Red Shirt should not expact any sympathy from the Bangkok middle class after what the result of their actions. Most of the Bangkok Middle class depends on the tourism and what the tourism income indirectly effect them

" the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has assessed Red Shirt demonstration in the capital has not had a great impact on tourism so far."

Ummm unless my English has deteriated dramatically, the above quote from the TAT would mean that they are lying again if your business has suffered a lot during the Red Shirt rally. It would seem that you agree with the guy from the Hotels Association not the TAT.

I know its all talk but what about thr new Red Super Gun 120 mm with 50 km range "?

Whats that all about this was translated 0ff Thai TV Today.

Even the mention of this that is supposed to be targeting the main airport must really muck everything up.

Can any other tell me if this was on Thai TV???

A threat is a threat even if its verbal hate to be a scaremonger but everybody is talking about it near me ( in the pub)

Anybody else hear about this GUN?

Well it's silly to cancel at the end of the day unless it was the yellows protesting since they have blessed approval to take over airports/govt buildings. :)

True.The reward for that stupidity? Let them run the country.

AMAZING THAILAND

Sorry to heat that.

Hopefully you were unaffected by the Yellows airport closure then?

I know its all talk but what about thr new Red Super Gun 120 mm with 50 km range "?

Even the mention of this that is supposed to be targeting the main airport must really muck everything up.

A threat is a threat even if its verbal hate to be a scaremonger but everybody is talking about it near me ( in the pub)

Zapp-Ray-Gun.jpg

I think that the world is becoming less sensitive to political upset. If the bulk of LOS tourists are coming from China, India and Russia now they probably think that Bangkok is safer than their home towns! Travel operators of course have to take note of advisories but many tourists are now independent travelers.

I exempt Mom&Pop Americans from that opinion - they are reportedly very sensitive to the least sniff of trouble - reflects their warm safety net at home I guess

Thai tourism hit by blood-pouring protests

by Claire Truscott

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thai tourism is taking a battering as the latest gruesome protests in Bangkok have frightened off visitors to the kingdom, better known for its white sands and smiles.

Would-be tourists considering massage, temples and spicy food in the Thai capital this week may have been put off by scenes, televised worldwide, of red-clad protesters throwing bottles of their own blood at government offices.

The so-called Red Shirts, supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, are trying to force snap elections.

And although their rally has been peaceful so far, many recall the Red Shirts' protests last year that turned violent and came months after airport blockades by the rival Yellow Shirts that left tens of thousands of visitors stranded.

Thai travel agents' representative Surapol Sritrakul said the crimson protests had led to many tour cancellations, particularly in key Asian markets, estimating that tourism figures were down 20-30 percent on the yearly average.

"Blood is scary. Many people think the protests could be violent. They think the blood could come from killing. It's not a good image for Thailand," said Surapol, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents.

Thailand's tourism authority said 38 countries had issued travel warnings for Bangkok over the rally that began last weekend.

But the Red Shirts' pouring of their own blood was only the latest, though most bizarre, piece of political theatre to be seen in Thailand since a military coup in 2006 that overthrew their hero Thaksin.

The rival red and yellow protest groups have taken to the streets repeatedly, causing insecurity among tourism officials who say they see a gradual erosion of Thailand's reputation as the "Land of 1,000 Smiles".

In late 2008, the pro-establishment Yellow Shirts staged a months-long sit in at government offices and blockaded Bangkok's two airports for nine days, stranding hordes of frustrated travellers.

Last April the Reds, most from the country's poor, forced the early closure of a key Asian summit and caused riots in Bangkok that left two dead and scores injured and only ended when troops hit the streets.

"The tolerance of tourists is decreasing. They worry they will be blocked again, that they will face problems.

It is always a matter of security. I think it's really negative in the long term," said the marketing director of an international hotel brand, who refused to be named.

April is the month of Songkran, a water festival that celebrates the Thai new year and usually attracts thousands of tourists to the country. But this year, bookings are down.

"We have lost 25 million baht (780,000 dollars) since March 11, but what worries me are the bookings for April... things are quiet," he said.

The picture on Thailand's stunning palm-fringed beaches is not so bleak in the short term, said Bill Barnett, a Thai media columnist on tourism who runs a consulting firm based on the southern tourist isle of Phuket.

Barnett said many people were opting to avoid Bangkok and rerouting their flights to Phuket at the last minute to catch some sun amid peace and quiet.

But longer term prospects were less rosy, he said, hit not only by political turmoil, but also health fears over the 2003 SARS outbreak and safety concerns after the Asian tsunami in 2004 that left 5,395 people dead in Thailand.

"In the long term there will be damage. Tourist figures usually follow a cyclical pattern but here it's a lot more volatile -- instead of peaks and valleys it looks like an ECG machine after a heart attack."

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-19

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

will let u know if i am alive when i arrive at airport today. if i am alive will let u. know. super gun with 9 km range., who made that superman. sounds like a missile laucher. if there is such a thing. i don' think it will be very accurate at 50 km. so i am not worried about getting hit.

why don't the govement give the red loads of buffalows to play with.

I think that the world is becoming less sensitive to political upset. If the bulk of LOS tourists are coming from China, India and Russia now they probably think that Bangkok is safer than their home towns! Travel operators of course have to take note of advisories but many tourists are now independent travelers.

I exempt Mom&Pop Americans from that opinion - they are reportedly very sensitive to the least sniff of trouble - reflects their warm safety net at home I guess

Hate to set you straight, but Americans (and other westerners) don't often change travel plans due to political unrest. In similar articles to this in the past, it's always been reported that it's Asians who are most readily spooked by unrest. It's likely that the majority of canceled of bookings (due to the recent dust-up) are from Koreans, Chinese, Japanese and Taiwanese.

Edited by brahmburgers

Well, i know the owner of one hotel here in Samui and when i spoke to him a couple of days ago he said he's had cancellations galore since just before it started and still getting cancellations. He said he's spoken to other owners as well who are saying much the same.

They have 32 rooms and since before christmas have been almost full, well that was until this red shirt protest started making news and every single day there's others cancelling right now. He now only has 5 rooms occupied when he was due to have all 32 occupied. The staff are all bored senseless sitting around doing long hours with basically no customers.

Now yes, there may be other reasons for people cancelling, of course but i'd say it's no co-incidence that the majority of cancellations are due to the unrest in Bangkok.

He's now praying for a speedy and peaceful end to the protest. So, it's not only affecting Bangkok hotels, it's having an impact down here as well.

^ Lots of cheap hotel rooms around at the moment - big travel fair at the Sirkit Centre recently with loads of good deals at hotels across Thailand.

Got myself a few nights in a pool villa in a 4 star resort on Samui for 2000 Baht/night - valid anytime until December. Plus some vouchers for dirt cheap nights at 4 stars on Sukhumvit to use when I visit BKK again.

Any protest of the kind that both the yellow and red shirts do is very bad for all Thailand , and all class of Thai people, and the worse affected are alway the poor people, the way both parties protest is unproductive, harmful and only cause disruption and cost a lot of people that just want to work money, and gives Thailand a very bad image to the rest of the world, for a country that has one of its biggest industries as tourism this kind of conduct is stupid,, stopping the air port from operating, burning busses, shooting people, stopping international forums of countries heads of state and throwing blood all over the place is not a good look for Thailand,, many countries have warnings to their people about Thailand as it is dangerous, this is doing nothing for any Thai people.

You have to wonder about the leaders of the political parties if this nonsense is all they can think of to take over government, they would be much better being a strong vibrant good opposition party, use all the money , energy and resources to becoming the Government and do all the people of Thailand a lot of good. I dont think any of the protest has achieved anything for either parties so far, the red party was put out of power by a court order not the yellow protest, the red people have not achieved anything so far as I can see with their protest.

The Nation reported the reds would 'march its protesters on Saturday to "thank Bangkokians" for their support.'

Along with their thanks, they may want to also express their condolences to the TAT and all the business theyre hamstringing whilst marching.

After a while I believe thay may not be so welcomed in Bangkok....

I dont think any of the protest has achieved anything for either parties (Red or Yellow) so far, the red party was put out of power by a court order not the yellow protest, the red people have not achieved anything so far as I can see with their protest.

The Yellow Shirts were quite successful in the big picture of things. You may not agree with their agenda(s) or the repercussions of their actions, but they accomplished much of what they set out to achieve. Not so with the Reds, by any yardstick.

I live in Chiang Mai and have acquaintances in the hotel and resport business. They are all seeing dramatic downticks to their occupancy rates lately. We expect that room bookings will decline after the end of the high season, but nothing as dismal as they have become over the past 2 weeks. These people are convinced that the red shirt rallies are the spoiler involved, as tourists, even the hardier or braver ones, are rethinking their travel plans and heading off to a less risky location. These include Vietnam, Malaysia and selected areas in China. CM is also beset by terrible air quality right now but that is not well broadcast outside of Thailand and has not been the subject of multiple diplomatic warnings.