Car Navigation Gps

corkscrew

I am not sure where to post this (so I'll try to cc to General). Anyway, I just received a brochure for a GPS car navigation system that is made by Garmin, a well known name in the GPS business. It operates in Thai or English...the street names and the voice directions. It retails for 48,000 baht. I have used one in America and it works beautifully. Though I usually drive a set number of places in BKK and up-country it would be nice to have this helper when I have to sail in uncharted waters.

Anyone familiar with this car navigation system....or any other one for Thailand?

I am not sure where to post this (so I'll try to cc to General). Anyway, I just received a brochure for a GPS car navigation system that is made by Garmin, a well known name in the GPS business. It operates in Thai or English...the street names and the voice directions. It retails for 48,000 baht. I have used one in America and it works beautifully. Though I usually drive a set number of places in BKK and up-country it would be nice to have this helper when I have to sail in uncharted waters.

Anyone familiar with this car navigation system....or any other one for Thailand?

due to lack of interest mapmakers did not make maps (until??) for carnavigation for se asia/thailand you can use the GPS function though but it would be a little expensive to buy a car nav system for that

see other threads here on TV

I have a GSM based navigation/ tracking product available in Thailand, whats your email address i will send you some info

This sounds similar to the system I read about in the Post or the Nation within the last few months... I only recall that some model of car in Thailand has this sytem as an option (maybe a 'database' article from the Post?), and the cost was 40,000+, primarily for Bkk ... Mostly just a PR piece, not a review, so no idea of the quality or details, like poi's (points of interest)

What's the model number? Tried to google it?

Garmin seems to have more software and map flexibilty than my Magellan Mericolor, but mine seems to be quite good, too. I've had it for two years, and nary a problem....

This sounds similar to the system I read about in the Post or the Nation within the last few months... I only recall that some model of car in Thailand has this sytem as an option (maybe a 'database' article from the Post?), and the cost was 40,000+, primarily for Bkk ... Mostly just a PR piece, not a review, so no idea of the quality or details, like poi's (points of interest)

What's the model number? Tried to google it?

Garmin seems to have more software and map flexibilty than my Magellan Mericolor, but mine seems to be quite good, too. I've had it for two years, and nary a problem....

It's available here. Go to:

http://www.thailandoutdoor.com/OutdoorGear.../gps_part3.html

I was considering getting the garmin GPS 10 and purchasing it here in thailand so as to get the thai maps and use it with my PDA via bluetooth , until I saw the prices - 16k baht , which is double what the price is in america. too cheeky for me.

though for 40k you could buy a ipaq pda for 20-22k , the garmin gps10 with thai maps for 16k and a 1gig CF card for 4k and have a lot more versatile setup.

hello,

i am using a Garmin GPSMAP60 CS with Thailand maps. I bought it in BKK.

I am happy to can share with you some esperience about.

I find it work fine

sawasdee krup

I just moved to Bangkok from the U.S. 3 months ago and it was just too difficult to drive anywhere without a GPS. I went through days of extensive research of the best GPS for me in Thailand. First of all, Garmin is the only company that offers a decent car GPS system for consumers. There are at least one Thai company offers a car GPS product but it requires a notebook computer to operate which is too bulky for me.

I picked the iQue 3600 due to its lower price compare to other Garmin navigation GPS units and its small size plus it's a Palm PDA with a MP3 player built-in. All the Garmin units sold in Thailand come with the same map from ESRI Thailand therefore expect the routing performance to be equal among all units. I bought the 3600 from ESRI Thailand for 29,000B. They had a 1000B discount for all Garmin products so you should ask them about it if you are going to get one from them. The 3600 comes with a 128MB SD card preloaded with the Thailand map, and the in-car charger and dash-mount kit is also included. Their web address is www.esrith.com and they are located at:

ESRI (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

Garmin Outlet : Sathorn Thanee Bld. 1,15 Fl.

90/40-41 North Sathorn Rd.

Silom, Bangrak,

Bangkok 10500, Thailand

Tel. 0-2636-8421, 0-26368422 Fax. 0-2636-8420

After using the iQue 3600 for a week, I can say that I feel comfortable driving anywhere in Bangkok without the fear of getting lost. Also, it's a great PDA and I really like it a lot. I highly recommend the iQue 3600. But, if you don't need the MP3 player and you are fine with a 320x320 screen instead of a 320x480 screen then you should consider the iQue 3200 which is 5,000B cheaper.

Oh, did you know you can always buy the iQue or other Garmin GPS cheaper from other countries such as the U.S. and just get a free copy of the Thailand map from someone. The map for Thailand is retailed at 12,000B from Esri Thailand and it's about 70MB.

I just moved to Bangkok from the U.S. 3 months ago and it was just too difficult to drive anywhere without a GPS. I went through days of extensive research of the best GPS for me in Thailand. First of all, Garmin is the only company that offers a decent car GPS system for consumers. There are at least one Thai company offers a car GPS product but it requires a notebook computer to operate which is too bulky for me.

I picked the iQue 3600 due to its lower price compare to other Garmin navigation GPS units and its small size plus it's a Palm PDA with a MP3 player built-in. All the Garmin units sold in Thailand come with the same map from ESRI Thailand therefore expect the routing performance to be equal among all units. I bought the 3600 from ESRI Thailand for 29,000B. They had a 1000B discount for all Garmin products so you should ask them about it if you are going to get one from them. The 3600 comes with a 128MB SD card preloaded with the Thailand map, and the in-car charger and dash-mount kit is also included. Their web address is www.esrith.com and they are located at:

ESRI (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

Garmin Outlet : Sathorn Thanee Bld. 1,15 Fl.

90/40-41 North Sathorn Rd.

Silom, Bangrak,

Bangkok 10500, Thailand

Tel. 0-2636-8421, 0-26368422 Fax. 0-2636-8420

After using the iQue 3600 for a week, I can say that I feel comfortable driving anywhere in Bangkok without the fear of getting lost. Also, it's a great PDA and I really like it a lot. I highly recommend the iQue 3600. But, if you don't need the MP3 player and you are fine with a 320x320 screen instead of a 320x480 screen then you should consider the iQue 3200 which is 5,000B cheaper.

Oh, did you know you can always buy the iQue or other Garmin GPS cheaper from other countries such as the U.S. and just get a free copy of the Thailand map from someone. The map for Thailand is retailed at 12,000B from Esri Thailand and it's about 70MB.

And outside of bkk, like Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc.? How is the hiway and smaller road details? Any Points of Interest along major routes? What about TOPO features?

29,000 baht with those accessories sounds quite resonable for Thailand... Not much higher than the US prices I saw, and before shipping costs... Might even be about the same price, but that local purchase sure gives a bit more confidence in the case of problems...

Edited by Ajarn

And outside of bkk, like Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc.? How is the hiway and smaller road details? Any Points of Interest along major routes? What about TOPO features?

29,000 baht with those accessories sounds quite resonable for Thailand... Not much higher than the US prices I saw, and before shipping costs... Might even be about the same price, but that local purchase sure gives a bit more confidence in the case of problems...

The detailed maps include all cities in Thailand. I did look at the 2 cities you mentioned and I can see the sois in the areas. This means you get turn-by-turn directions in all cities of Thailand. The map image includes points of interest and you can search by name or by category. TOPO is not part of the package.

The Garmin is much cheaper in Singapore due to the Tax in Thailand, example the etrex is only US90 dollars about 4,000baht here at the book shop is retails for abot 7 k to 8000baht maybe tax

you cna easily download the map for the garmin of thailand from the internet and it is free they have a few maps that can download for Thailand,

i have using a Garmin 4 for the last 5 years in Thailand and it is good , I can mark the spots, however no colour, but functional

We will e producign our own GPS in 6 months time,

The Garmin is much cheaper in Singapore due to the Tax in Thailand, example the etrex is only US90 dollars about 4,000baht here at the book shop is retails for abot 7 k to 8000baht maybe tax

you cna easily download the map for the garmin of thailand from the internet and it is free they have a few maps that can download for Thailand,

i have using a Garmin 4 for the last 5 years in Thailand and it is good , I can mark the spots, however no colour, but functional

We will e producign our own GPS in 6 months time,

Hi

could you gie a link on ehrer to get the maps on the internet?

How to load them to the GPS?

Thanks, Holm

• 3 years later...

I found this website that sells the Garmin compatible maps on SD/MicroSD card for very reasonable prices.

I bought a Nuvi 300 in the UK for under £100 and bought the Thailand maps from this website and I must say they arrived to me here in Thailand very quickly and works flawlesly in my unit, even on the Islands.

The website address is maps.coconut-computers.com I hope this helps someone :o

Garmin Compatible Maps

I have three Garmin units and can offer some details. One is an eTrex and if you buy one of these make sure it is the CX model. The CX has a Micro memory card. Without a memory card the internal memory is too small to hold the entire Thailand map. The eTrex is waterproof and can be used on a motorbike. It is small enough to carry in your pocket and the two AA batteries will last about 30 hours. If I were to use it often in a car, I'd buy a cigarette lighter power supply.

Number two is the 2610 Street Pilot. It is an excellent unit and uses a CF memory card. The 2610 is obsolete and no longer made. That means you should be able to still buy a new one quite cheap. It has more features than the newer models and was the top of the line Garmin. It is pretty big and bulky.

The number three is a Nuvi 750. The only advantage it has over the 2610 is that the satellite antenna is much better and more sensitive. The Nuvis are also slim enough to detach from the mount and put in your pocket. The Nuvis are easier and simpler to use than the 2610 but lack some of the features the 2610 has. The 2610 has an adequate antenna and is fine away from tall buildings and overpasses. It does lose the signal much quicker than the Nuvis.

Garmin US has stopped selling the Thailand map. I'd guess ESRI Thailand has pressured Garmin to stop selling the map. ESRI has lowered the Thailand map price from 12,000 baht to 7,000 baht. That price includes one update and after the first free update, the update cost is 1,500 baht.

I did waste a LOT of time and some money on other maps because of the 12,000 baht ESRI price. The maps had way too many glitches, could not be trusted and were too dated to suit me. When The ESRI price was reduced down to 7,000, I bought it. I'm quite happy with the ESRI map and especially the service from Gadget Trend.

Hello Benji,

I bought a Nuvi 300 in the UK for under £100 and bought the Thailand maps from this website and I must say they arrived to me here in Thailand very quickly and works flawlesly in my unit, even on the Islands.

The website address is maps.coconut-computers.com I hope this helps someone :o

Garmin Compatible Maps

No wonder the maps arrived very quickly in Thailand, the registrant of coconut-computers.com is from Koh Samui :D

Since the island is not sooo big, chances are good you met before :D

I'm sure your advice helps someone...

Helmut