Bend It Like Beckham

David Beckham insists he did not get booked deliberately to ensure he is available for England’s tour to the United States. The Real Madrid midfielder was cautioned during his club’s 0-0 draw with city rivals Atletico Madrid on Saturday. The yellow card took him to the bookings threshold and he will be suspended for Real’s final game of the campaign against Real Zaragoza next weekend.

His suspension means he could now link up with the England squad ahead of their first game of their two-match tour on May 28. But while Beckham is unsure if he will be granted permission to join up with his country, he is adamant he did not set out to be cautioned to ensure he could lead England in both matches.

“I didn’t get booked deliberately,” said Beckham. “I would never do that. It would never have been a yellow card in England.

“As far as I am concerned I will be spending the week with the team (Real Madrid). I wanted to play in the Zaragoza game.” It is the second time this season that Beckham has become embroiled in this type of case after he admitted to being deliberately booked for England in a World Cup qualifier against Wales, which ensured he missed a game in Azerbaijan. Coach Wanderley Luxemburgo has yet to decide if he will release Beckham for England’s tour, although team-mate Michael Owen will only be available for the second game against Colombia on May 31.

Mr Beckham endorsing his professionalism, honesty and terrible memory ! !

Edited by johnh101

We all know he's not the brightest footballer on the planet but I doubt whether he'd jeapodize his future at Real Madrid in such an obvious manner. I'm sure he'll stay with them for the week, as he mentioned.

Does anyone know why the FA have lined up yet another farcical tour?

Edited by fw1

We all know he's not the brightest footballer on the planet but I doubt whether he'd jeapodize his future at Real Madrid in such an obvious manner. I'm sure he'll stay with them for the week, as he mentioned.

MONEY ££££££

MONEY ££££££

Yep! Money talks. As if the players havent had enough this season.