True Visions Adding Hd Channels?

anothertorres

It's great that they are (slowly) bringing in the HD channels and I am very tempted but I'd love it even more if all the other channels will be broadcast in wide-screen format and a good quality sound and picture with a comprehensive menu system. That would make it worthwhile for me. I have called them but the folks in the call centre don't have the answer.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Bad pricing but this is certainly a good news. There can only be one direction from now, which is to turn more and more channels in HD so that the package will be more attractive. And at the end of the day, it's an extra option for those who need it.

But right now, that much investment for just two extra channels? I think I'll pass.

Anybody know if the pass-through on the old RF socket route will still work on the HD boxes to get the signal to a 2nd TV. (i.e. Satellite is watched either in the living room or the bedroom - or both if you don't mind watching the same channel).

Personally, we only have True for the kids channels, but if HD is here, I might get it if it's not going to inconvenience me too much.

• 3 weeks later...
47796655.jpg

12957808.jpg

Those pictures look fantastic but I have a few questions. Why are they 1000x560 instead of 1920×1080 (1080p)? When/how did you take them? The Arsenal-ManU game happened January 31st. Are they showing live games too?

Those pictures look fantastic but I have a few questions. Why are they 1000x560 instead of 1920×1080 (1080p)? When/how did you take them? The Arsenal-ManU game happened January 31st. Are they showing live games too?

Promo pics i would imagine.

sorry, Those pictures from other thai forum. I didn't take it myself.

1261286264056428200.jpg

This picture was taken with a DM HD box by the looks of it, and the DM HD boxes will no longer work with TrueVisions HD as they have already paired their TrueVisions card with their Truevisions reciever. Which means you have to use their set top box to watch HD. So I guess it is only a matter of time before they do it to all their SD channels as well.

Depends, I have seen HD receivers with S-Video and Composite out which is just "standard" video signals.

Rather defeats the object, IMHO.

Yes it does, but needed to satisfy some consumers that still have S-Vid or Composite TV's.

• 2 weeks later...

For you out there that have already invested in True HD, can you please keep us informed about the service once you have it up and running.

I believe True will be installing the service this month . . . . . . but I cant confirm that 100%

Thank you

IW

For you out there that have already invested in True HD, can you please keep us informed about the service once you have it up and running.

I believe True will be installing the service this month . . . . . . but I cant confirm that 100%

Thank you

IW

Got it on Thursday. There has not been any live sport to view yet to check quality, but the hbo channel is a vast improvement on the standard true hbo channel

They are showing ice hockey on the sports channel at the mo, and the quality is very good

Real test is Sunday nights premier league football live

Thank you

IW

Got it on Thursday. There has not been any live sport to view yet to check quality, but the hbo channel is a vast improvement on the standard true hbo channel

They are showing ice hockey on the sports channel at the mo, and the quality is very good

Are you using the Satellite or Cable system?

How much is your monthly charge?

Thank you

IW

Just curious , which NHL game was on ? I was hoping to get hdtv here in Chiang Mai before the playoffs were over but I don't think that is going to happen :)

Thank you

IW

Satellite

it's free for 3 months, then 399 per month think?

Thank you

IW

Just curious , which NHL game was on ? I was hoping to get hdtv here in Chiang Mai before the playoffs were over but I don't think that is going to happen :)

It wasn't a live game, they seem to be looping them through. I'm not into ice hockey at all, but I think it was detroit vs san jose?

Cracking quality picture though

Thank you

IW

It shouldn't make any difference if the games/matches are live or not. The HD channel(s) should always transmit in 1080p therefore the quality will not fluctuate!!

Got mine yestrday, manual says it only supports 1080i (fine by me) but looks good, the other channels even look a bit better

I stand corrected, I was initially under the impression that it was 1080p not 1080i :)

UBC cutting corners again, providing their service as cheaply as they can while charging as much as they can get away with.

There is not a television channel or network anywhere in the world delivering their service in 1080p.

720P and 1080i are the 2 recognized HD standards.

This is not a TrueVisions issue or problem.

BlueRay is the only way to view 1080P material.

You can pick on TrueVisions for many things, but not this

For what it's worth, True can only show channels that are made available to them.

Currently, the only available channels offering an HD feed in SE Asia are:

HBO

History

Discovery

Nat Geo

ASN

ESPN

Live sporting events like the EPL, World Cup, etc. also offer HD feeds to the operators that carry them.

Finally, the roll out of HD channels is completely dependent on the availablity of transponders on the satellite serving True Visions, ThaiCom 5.

So, based on the roll out of HD in other SE Asian countries, True is not that far behind.

Thank you

IW

Satellite

it's free for 3 months, then 399 per month think?

But surely that's on top of your existing subscription, right? Which is what, Gold or Platinum? Does it actually add any new channels to the set of existing channels in your subscription.

No, no new content (other than English language to world cup coverage), its only worth it if you watch sport and HBO.. but the more people who subscribe the higher the chance that we'll get more channels in the future.

For what it's worth, True can only show channels that are made available to them.

So, based on the roll out of HD in other SE Asian countries, True is not that far behind.

I can't speak for HD in other SE Asian countries. But I can speak about regular satellite reception here versus in the States. Here is far behind. Although I preferred cable, my son preferred satellite in the States. His regular reception was every bit as clear as a normal professional DVD. That cannot be said for regular TRUE reception here by satellite dish. Not comparable at all.

Currently, the only available channels offering an HD feed in SE Asia are:

HBO

History

Discovery

Nat Geo

ASN

ESPN

It is far behind...

Astro has 5 out of the 6 available HD channels (no ASN), and for less extra fees (300 Baht/month) then what true charges for 2 HD channels, HBO and their own sports channel mainly with old content (399/month for Gold subscribers)...

Well, the Chelsea game last on HD was sensational quality, I compared it to the ch 101 sd version and couldn't stand watching the sd. The HD was1080i. Crystal clear, sharp colours, reds weren't soft, blurring non existent.. Could see the blades of grass rather than a green block.

One gripe was the audio, which was fluctuating level, but after some switching around I realized it was the source feed that had issues. Once they sorted that it was fine

Can't wait for the world cup on HD now. For those of you who love watching football, this HD is an absolute must.