Teaching In Thailand

Dear ALL,

I have just taken voluntary redundancy and am completing post-graduate work in Performance which will be finished by September. I have been a university lecturer for 10 years and a teacher of english and drama in UK schools for several years prior to that. I have no TEFL qualification.

Is that necessary or useful to have-should I get it in the UK or Thailand if that's possible?

I would like to ask what is the best route for me to enter teaching in Thailand?

Is it sensible to just arrive and get to know the place or should I sign up to an agency from the U.K?

I don't want to sign up to a contract and be bound to that only to find I don't like the place for some reason.

If I just come over on a travel visa can I change that if I sign up for agency teaching once there or . . .

. . . can I approach an institution directly and have them sponsor me for a visa to work there?

If I come over on a travel visa how long can I stay and how much will it cost me to live while trying to find work?

Although I am an ex-marine I admit to being nervous as well as excited about the prospect and would like to be able to make contact with others who are living the life already. I have a decent redundancy package but don't want to blow it on living expenses while trying to get a job because I made some fundamental error before leaving the UK!

I LOOK FORWARD TO ANY ADVICE YOU ALL CAN OFFER

David

Hello Royal (ex)

You could try signing up with Ajarn.com, they are one of the leading websites for teaching in Thailand. I am ex Jack, I instructed in the mob for 7 years and then 10 more years with a mid east Air Force. I took the TEFL here in Thailand and found it most helpful for me. As I taught engineering subjects previously, it gave me ideas on how to teach an abstract subject such as English. It also gave me a better awareness of problems faced by Thai students and of the culture. It also helps you to develop contacts and they do assist you to find work eg with the practical teaching assessments, the assessments are carried out by relatively senior people in the Thai education system, Professors and the like and they are always looking to recruit.

However with your University background a TEFL would not be a necessity. You will certainly get better renumeration and conditions if you are recruited directly from the UK for a Thai institution. A tourist visa is not a good idea to come out here job hunting, much better a non immigration B, the Thai consulate in Hull are reportedly very helpful.

I am sure that other members will also offer help and guidlines for you, as with anything it is up to the individual as to their preferences, I am working in a small city in the lower north of Thailand which suits me, perhaps you would prefer the big city or somewhere by the ocean. If you wish send me a PM and if I can help I will

Yours Aye

Chris (ex Jack)

Edited by aitch52

A tourist visa is not a good idea to come out here job hunting, much better a non immigration B, the Thai consulate in Hull are reportedly very helpful.

I am sure that other members will also offer help and guidlines for you, as with anything it is up to the individual as to their preferences, I am working in a small city in the lower north of Thailand which suits me, perhaps you would prefer the big city or somewhere by the ocean. If you wish send me a PM and if I can help I will

A Non Imm B is still not that easy at Hull and does require sponsorship and/or supporting documentation.

A Non Imm O Visa on the other hand is much easier to obtain. Also, a double entry tourist visa is still ok as that can be converted whilst in-country if you successfully obtain employment.

A tourist visa is not a good idea to come out here job hunting, much better a non immigration B, the Thai consulate in Hull are reportedly very helpful.

A Non Imm B is still not that easy at Hull and does require sponsorship and/or supporting documentation.

A Non Imm O Visa on the other hand is much easier to obtain. Also, a double entry tourist visa is still ok as that can be converted whilst in-country if you successfully obtain employment.

Hi I would just like to say I always get my Non B multi entry visa at Hull with no problems what so ever.

I just down load the application fill in the self certificate ( same forms as as multi O )

and send just a letter from the school offering me employment , and the usual photos and payment , passports back within 48 hours job done. colino.

PS my personal feeling is get your TEFL in the UK ,

Hi I would just like to say I always get my Non B multi entry visa at Hull with no problems what so ever.

I just down load the application fill in the self certificate ( same forms as as multi O )

and send just a letter from the school offering me employment , and the usual photos and payment , passports back within 48 hours job done. colino.

You are no longer required to submit a Police Clearance Certificate? Particularly if your reason for the B is employment as a teacher?

An off-topic troll post and replies to it have been deleted. Please read the OP and respond to the request. If you have nothing to say, then say nothing.

If you see an inflammatory post, please use the report button rather than responding to it.

Thanks,

Scott

On the assumption that you are a UK-qualified teacher (PGCE) then an expat package with an international school would be the way to go. Most of them interview and recruit from abroad so you could get everything sorted (accommodation, visa, salary etc) before you even arrive in Thailand.

Make sure you sign up to a genuine 'international' school and not just a regular school that incorporates 'international' in their name.

With your qualifications and teaching experience, I would expect few problems in sourcing a job.

Just google 'international teaching recruitment fairs'.

You’re allowed to work on a Non-O visa, when you found a job it’s very easy to change it into a Non-B. But please be aware that you’ll have to apply for a work permit before you start the process for a visa.

Sorry to 'highjack' the thread here, but how might one go about getting 'recruited' to a Thai university or college from somewhere like Australia? Would the best bet be searching out recruiting companies and negotiating/discussing salaries with them? And in terms of salary (I've read alot throughout the forum) would it be unreasonable to expect a starting salary of over 50k, even touching on 100k per month?

Thanks! Again, sorry if I've highjacked or disrupted the original content.

• 5 weeks later...

Dear David,

We are currently looking for teachers for our newly set up International School located in Bangkok. If you are interested, please send your resume and scanned copies of your documents to *email edited out * or give me a call at +66 827050116.

Regards,

Kristen

A tefl course here in thailand is not about learning to teach it is for learning about the thai education system that will be a complete shock to your western way of thinking. The practice teaching lessons are invaluable and the most important part of your class. If you can afford the money and time I highly recommend you take one.

A tefl course here in thailand is not about learning to teach it is for learning about the thai education system that will be a complete shock to your western way of thinking. The practice teaching lessons are invaluable and the most important part of your class. If you can afford the money and time I highly recommend you take one.

This post should be stickied and the forum banner.awesome :)