University Entrance Examination

elcent

This question is based on truth...it was discussed in class one day. Only a Thai or someone who understands 'illogical concepts' will answer the question correctly.

Q: When is the correct time in the morning, to brush your teeth?

A: As soon as you wake up.

B: After you shower.

C: Immediately before breakfast.

D: Immediately after breakfast.

The only answer that makes sense is A.

All the others would depend on if the person taking the test is male or female :-)

huh???? :)

I don't have any idea about how any of the above choices have anything to do about being male or female???

This question is based on truth...it was discussed in class one day. Only a Thai or someone who understands 'illogical concepts' will answer the question correctly.

All the others would depend on if the person taking the test is male or female :-)

huh???? :D

I don't have any idea about how any of the above choices have anything to do about being male or female???

obviously you don't understand "illogical concepts" then :)

and my guts told me the correct answer on each of CWMcMurray's questions above...

not that the answers are "correct" or "right"... just gut feeling

And coming back to the toothbrushing exercise, I'd expect the main thai driver for brushing the tooth is respecting others by not having a smelly breath rather than hygiene for good teeth, especially if you're a girl!

So I thought that it is not so bad if a man has bad breath until after breakfast and brushes his teeth after breakfast.

But girls would not want to indispose their partners, so they would brush as soon as they wake up.

And since I suppose the test has the same answers wether the respondent is male or female, the answer can only be A.

Edited by manarak

What university supposedly asks students about washing their clothes etc., as part of the entrance test, and it's not part of an English language capability test?

I am an academic at one of Thailands prestigious universities, in the area which offers 'international' programs.

I can assure you that, at my institution, the assessment methodology is nothing whatever like what has been aired by other posters here.

The methodology is well focused on whether the student is ready to study, is ready to apply themselves, displays an appropriate level of maturity, can work in a team, appears to be mentally well balanced, and more. I like the methodology and I find it appropriate and valuable.

In regard to English language capability there are three steps:

1. - An Ielts or similar score at a pre-set level or higher. And the result must be delivered to the university by an independent method, in other words the student cannot hand deliver the score on a document.

2. - Every applying student is interviewed for about 30 to 40 minutes by a panel of three academics and they must prove that they are capable of advanced comprehension and advanced continuous discussion and must prove that they have a broad and diverse vocabulary. A couple of times during the interview the candidates are deliberately bombarded with different questions from the three members of the panel all at the same time and there ability to cope with this is part of the assessment. They are also deliberately asked questions which require some quick thinking and they are told in advance that middle of the road / polite answers will attract further questioning. They are not asked questions like "What food do you like?"

3. - About 20 minutes or so before each student is interviewed they are given a topic to write about (they cannot select from a list, a topic is assigned). The topics is not "how do you / when do you wash your clothes" etc., and they must write at least one full A4 page to answer the question. From the moment they are given a topic they are separated from all other candidates, friends etc, and their mobile phone is confiscated at this point and returned after their panel interview is finished.

Additionally the institute is aware that many candidates go to preparation schools / coaching, and as my institute learns what they are taught at these schools my institute changes anything which they know is being coached.

Gifts are not accepted.

Edited by scorecard

"Just a question: are there oral tests as well?"

No.

There are posts here about two different exams.

The OP was about the O Net exams that a lot of students need to get into university. Many have already done well on the GAT PAT tests and already have uni spots.

Only a % of the score on the O Net test is used for admission.

The other tests mentioned are the national tests taken in P6 and M3. They aren't used for anything other to see how each person/school/region does in comparison to others.

Some of the questions mentioned were part of the Thai test on O Net.

C - Because this is the only option 'guaranteed' to be a "...time in the morning" (?)

What university supposedly asks students about washing their clothes etc., as part of the entrance test, and it's not part of an English language capability test?

I am an academic at one of Thailands prestigious universities, in the area which offers 'international' programs.

I can assure you that, at my institution, the assessment methodology is nothing whatever like what has been aired by other posters here.

The methodology is well focused on whether the student is ready to study, is ready to apply themselves, displays an appropriate level of maturity, can work in a team, appears to be mentally well balanced, and more. I like the methodology and I find it appropriate and valuable.

These are for the O-Net national exams .... these are not entrance exams for any particular university, but rather National tests that must be taken by all students in order to "assess their readiness to study at University" and are used to Rank schools based upon students success on the tests.

Please find some websites listed below:

Student's Protest

NIETS goes on the defensive

Scorecard.... in fact one of the reasons why your University as well as others need to have such comprehensive entrance exams is due to how lousy the Thai National Assessment exam is.....

Edited by CWMcMurray

I heard earlier this evening that they've decided to only use 10% of the O Net score for admission instead of 30% like they had planned on doing.

They may also give more weight to the GPA than originally planned.

Here is another good one... but remember only one answer is correct, so that means that three of the below choices are attributes that should make you NOT want to be friends with someone ...

Which type of person students should want to be friends with?

A. Kind people

B. People who are considerate of others

C. Friendly people

D. Nice people

Me personally, I think that any of the above types of people sound like they could make a very good friend.... that being said, what on earth is this doing on a college entrance exam ???

Edited by CWMcMurray

A TV station asked a Chula expert the same question and he failed to answer 98%. :D

Q. When is the right time to wash your clothes?

A. When most of them are worn and dirty and you don't have many clean ones left.

Q. How long does it take to wash your clothes?

A. 46 or 39 minutes depending on whether the machine is set to Large or Extra-large.

Q. What color of table clothes to you use on mothers day?

A.Whatever colour your Mother likes most. If it is August 12th, then blue is a good option.

Okay, did I matriculate? :)

q1-2-3 never we get the maid to throw them away and buy new!

This way they know you are so rich and guaranteed a place at UNI

A couple more questions.....

Read the following passage and answer the questions:

Nok is a national junior tennis player, she's 17-year-old and comes from Chiangmai. She's very successful in her sport and won a champion trophy in women's single in Wimbledon, United Kingdom. This success of hers is the result of her hard work with a famous American coach, Chuck Chris. Nok put in all her heart into tennis and a series of training program had shaped her into a very good tennis player and a good sportsperson.

Question 1:

Which is the most appropriate position for Nok to hit a volley?

a. When the ball is highest in the air

b. Net-level

c. Below net-level

d. When the ball is in front of her

(Hmmm...I will need to consult my own famous American Tennis coach, ohhh wait a minute... I do not have a tennis coach, looks like am out of luck on this question)

Question 2:

Nok will be stressed out under which circumstance?

a. When the referee is unfair

b. When high expectations weigh on her

c. When her coach gives her aggressive heavy training program

d. When the match is of a very importance

(Good to know that three of the above will not cause stress...)

Edited by CWMcMurray

huh???? :D

obviously you don't understand "illogical concepts" then :)

and my guts told me the correct answer on each of CWMcMurray's questions above...

not that the answers are "correct" or "right"... just gut feeling

And coming back to the toothbrushing exercise, I'd expect the main thai driver for brushing the tooth is respecting others by not having a smelly breath rather than hygiene for good teeth, especially if you're a girl!

So I thought that it is not so bad if a man has bad breath until after breakfast and brushes his teeth after breakfast.

But girls would not want to indispose their partners, so they would brush as soon as they wake up.

And since I suppose the test has the same answers wether the respondent is male or female, the answer can only be A.

(e) i have no teeth!

Manarak got it right.

It's all about 'smelly breath' & not about oral hygiene. BTW, being male or female does not come into it.

I actually had 30 Thai students & 1 Thai teacher telling me that brushing your teeth after breakfast was illogical. To them, the logical thing was to think about the affect your smelly breath would have on others.

I provided many counter arguments but their heads went firmly back into the sand.

Anyway, the whole thing smacks of cultural indoctrination. The sad thing is that this is representative of how the elite keep their perfectly raised sheep as perfectly raised sheep.

Here is another good one... but remember only one answer is correct, so that means that three of the below choices are attributes that should make you NOT want to be friends with someone ...

Which type of person students should want to be friends with?

A. Kind people

B. People who are considerate of others

C. Friendly people

D. Nice people

Me personally, I think that any of the above types of people sound like they could make a very good friend.... that being said, what on earth is this doing on a college entrance exam ???

I'd say B, but can't really explain - I think people who are considerate have the best chances of success over the others, therefore being friendy with them will help you to get a share of their success.

A couple more questions.....

Read the following passage and answer the questions:

Nok is a national junior tennis player, she's 17-year-old and comes from Chiangmai. She's very successful in her sport and won a champion trophy in women's single in Wimbledon, United Kingdom. This success of hers is the result of her hard work with a famous American coach, Chuck Chris. Nok put in all her heart into tennis and a series of training program had shaped her into a very good tennis player and a good sportsperson.

Question 1:

Which is the most appropriate position for Nok to hit a volley?

a. When the ball is highest in the air

b. Net-level

c. Below net-level

d. When the ball is in front of her

(Hmmm...I will need to consult my own famous American Tennis coach, ohhh wait a minute... I do not have a tennis coach, looks like am out of luck on this question)

Question 2:

Nok will be stressed out under which circumstance?

a. When the referee is unfair

b. When high expectations weigh on her

c. When her coach gives her aggressive heavy training program

d. When the match is of a very importance

(Good to know that three of the above will not cause stress...)

Question 2 is easy - it's B

Question 1 might have suffered in translation, otherwise the question is horribly unprecise.

In the current wording it's difficult to tell (and I did play tennis).

What I find peculiar that they ask what is the most "appropriate" and not what's easiest.

Below net is very difficult to volley.

But... they ask at what height is appropriate.

"Nok" means bird?

Wouldn't it make nice photos and headlines in the Thai newspapers if Nok the bird jumped in the air to smash?

So I take A.

Please give the answers!!

Edited by manarak

Manarak got it right.

It's all about 'smelly breath' & not about oral hygiene. BTW, being male or female does not come into it.

I actually had 30 Thai students & 1 Thai teacher telling me that brushing your teeth after breakfast was illogical. To them, the logical thing was to think about the affect your smelly breath would have on others.

I provided many counter arguments but their heads went firmly back into the sand.

Anyway, the whole thing smacks of cultural indoctrination. The sad thing is that this is representative of how the elite keep their perfectly raised sheep as perfectly raised sheep.

LOL, hehe.

But I can understand their point of view - I did the same thing when I had to sleep with others in the same room and to share breakfast (army time).