Rented Motorbike Stolen

pkt4321

Hi, my rented bike was stolen in what was surely a scam because it was locked. I haven't reported it yet. I can't afford to pay the 60k that's on my contract. What should I do? They have a copy of my passport and know where I currently reside. Please PM if you have any advice at all. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Go down to the Police Station at Soi 9 and check there. If you parked it at the wrong place they transport it to a secure area and you first will pay a fine, then again some money for "take care" of your bike. You should know a little more then "my bike was yellow and had a green helmet on the mirror". Number plate would be a good start.

Go down to the Police Station at Soi 9 and check there. If you parked it at the wrong place they transport it to a secure area and you first will pay a fine, then again some money for "take care" of your bike. You should know a little more then "my bike was yellow and had a green helmet on the mirror". Number plate would be a good start.

Yes I agree with that, the police might have it, so go to the police station asp and bring your rental contract. There is normally a ex-pat police man in there he can help you.

If it is indeed stolen, what year is the bike? If it is 3 years old it would not be fair to pay the new price for the bike but you signed a contract so I don't know about your rights here maybe some can help here.

There are 2 impound yards which I know of.

The first one is off of Soi Korphai and the other one is off of Soi Bongkot

The one off Soi Korphai is on the first street south of South Pattaya Road. From South Pattaya Road, take Soi Korphai to the first street There is a Family Mart and a 7 -11 on the corner. Turn left, going towards sukhumvit. About 100 meters, this is the second street you will see, and then you will turn right. Drive about two hundred meters and the impund yard will be on your left.

Soi Bongkot.

Coming from Third Road onto Soi Bongkot, after 150 meters, the street curves left, and 50 meters more, you will see a Family Mart. Turn left at the Family Mart. Drive about 40 meters and on your left will be the impound yard,

Just walk in and tellthem what you are looking for. If your bike has come in very recently, they may remember it off the top of their heads, and or it may be right in front.

What kind of bike was 60,000 baht?

If you do not find the bike, tell the board the kind of bike it was, and the approx number of kilos / age of bike, and the board will tell you a true value of the bike. Also, you can go into the motorbike shop on South Pattaya Road opposite Tuk.COm computer building and ask for a price for a used.....

Yes I agree with that, the police might have it, so go to the police station asp and bring your rental contract. There is normally a ex-pat police man in there he can help you.

If it is indeed stolen, what year is the bike? If it is 3 years old it would not be fair to pay the new price for the bike but you signed a contract so I don't know about your rights here maybe some can help here.

You have probably assumed the worst..that your bike has been stolen. As others have said that may not be the case. If it has been illegaly parked it could have been towed away to one of the compounds where such vehicles are kept.

So yes take your Hire agreement to Soi 9 Police Station on Beach Road (do not go to Tourist police). The officers who may have towed you bike away all bring their paperwork to Soi 9 so a visit to Tourist Police is a waste of your time. Please ensure before you go that the hire document states the registration of the bike. If you do not have the registration of the bike it is a waste of time going to Soi 9 until you do. Also please take your passport, in the event that it has been stolen you will need your passport to make a police report for insurance purposes.

Speak to the FPV on duty (expat Volunteer Police they sit a a Help desk to your left as you enter the police station) they will be able to assist you by checking with the Fine Clerk if they have paperwork about your bike. If the paperwork is there all you have to do is pay your fine of 400 + 100 baht to release the bike to you at the compound. On the back of the fine sheet the officer will write in Thai where you bike is being held. Simplist thing to do get a Motorcy taxi show him the fine sheet and he will take you to where your bike is. You should negotiate the price for this trip.

Please be aware that when parking motorcy or car on any coloured marking at the side of the road, red+white etc etc do not park there. Also in Pattaya Tai one side of the road is no parking on even date days and the other side no parking on uneven date days. There are signs to indicate this.

Hope all goes well.

begs

Usually when we buy mc down here we get thrown out insurance for 2000 thb per year covering 80% of new price. it would surprise me the owner did not have such insurance.

So maybe he will have some money to cover the loss by the loss of revenue (2 months rent - 5-6000 thb + 20% of new price of MC)

take also a look at town hall in the parking where you will find cops and bikes

it happen to me 3 years ago

my bike was parked near red and white stripes motorbike taxi men placed it on white and red to have place for them

no discussen possibel pay and go

This not uncommon, you should go to the Police asap, get as much info on the hire person, there is a network of thieves in Pattaya, which needs to be sorted, trouble is everyone is on e the take, sometimes you have to pay to get info, in return for a conviction, consult your Embassy, for Advise, the bike should have been insured by the people you hire off, for theft and accident, good luck

I loved the bit where he said along the lines of " it was locked so an obvious scam " :):D :D :D

I would imagine that a very high percentage of bikes are locked when stolen. Back in the UK I used to park the bike

Steering lock on

Disc lock on

Big,and I mean heavy duty, chain around the back wheel, attached to something as well where possible

300 pounds worth of padlock

Category 1 Alarm / immobiliser activated

And even then I lost 3 bikes so obviously must have scammed myself :D

We were about to rent a scooter in Bali a few years ago, then saw a post from a couple on Lonely Planet. Guess there was a scam going on where they would follow you to your hotel, unlock the bike with their "extra" key, and then scam you for the entire amount for a replacement bike. The couple argued and the bike shop had 2 guys following them 24x7. Sitting right outside their hotel so they couldn't escape. Police were in on it also. Not sure of the result, but apparently the couple researched this and found out it happened quite frequently...

Although scooter thefts are rampant here....

Also in Pattaya Tai one side of the road is no parking on even date days and the other side no parking on uneven date days. There are signs to indicate this.

After all my years in Thailand, this is a new one for me...but totally in line with TiT....the BiB must have a field day with "fines"....very amusing... :)

While the OP has my sympathy, for the benefit of anyone new to Thailand, if thinking of renting a motorbike, jet ski etc etc, DON'T.

These scams happen way too often, and till people stop getting sucked in they will continue.

I've never had to rent transport, as public transport in LOS ( perhaps not in Phuket, but everywhere else I've been ) is excellent, and the risks to life and limb of riding bikes in LOS, if not used to the Thai way of driving, must surely outweigh the benefits, even if not involving some dodgy scam.

You need to report it both to the police and the rental company.

I had a rented bike stolen around 16 months ago. They broke into my house and had the balls to come into my bedroom when the light was on though I was asleep and remove the keys along with my wallet from my trouser pockets hanging the over the chair by the bed.

I reported itto the rental company straight away and then went to Banglamung police station to report the theft.

The rental company wanted B32,000 off me and I had about three weeks of almost daily phone calls from the farang boyfriend of the registered owner of the rental company.

After 3 weeks of threats the owners boyfriend called me again to inform me that the police had caught the thief at a checkpoint in Sattahip and recovered the bike.

All I ended up having to pay was b2,500 for damage to the bike.

I know how you are feeling at the moment but to have any hope of the bike being recovered you do need to report it to the police.