Thai Driving Test

eek

Page 2 of the "Rule of the road":

1] Flapping an arm up & down means 'reducing speed'. This is just silly & confusing. Then again, if you get your passenger to stick his arm out of his window & flap madly, it means 'taking off'.

2] The driver of a RHS vehicle is not required to indicate intention (by hand) of turning left in Australia as it is pointless. Another nonsensical rule.

Page 3 of the "Rule of the road":

The 1st pic says 'Regular Car' but shows a picture of a dirty great truck.

Under 'Load Size Limit', point 1 says "The length of the vehicle x 2.5 meters". What does this mean? Maybe it should be a + sign.

Page 4 of the "Rule of the road":

"Stay to the left", pic No 2 - ridiculous.

Page 5 of the "Rule of the road":

"Right of way", pic No 2. This is the opposite to the rules in Australia. I wonder why?

Page 6 of the "Rule of the road":

"Overtaking safely", point 4. "When there is not enough room to pass safely or easily..."

Another silly idea. It should read "When there is not enough room to pass safely or easily, do not overtake."

Page 7 of the "Rule of the road":

The table at the top of the page seems to indicate that heavier vehicles (over 1200kg) are permitted to travel faster than lighter vehicles (under 1200kg). I would've thought that the opposite way around is correct due to a larger vehicle having more momentum (less stopping power). Crazy.

Last page:

'The vehicle's conditions', point 2 - "The limit of vehicle's noise level is not more than 85 decibels on a public road."

Looks like the Harley riders will have to behave.

I took that ridiculous test & got a few wrong...eventually gave up. Warpspeed is correct...do not apply logic when doing the test.

Also, the test questions are sometimes ambiguous.

The quality of English throughout the entire site is atrocious. Would it be too difficult to ask a native English speaker to 'proof read' anything before submitting it online? This is actually very important, particularly for the subject of road safety or road rules.

It's no wonder Thais can't drive.

Edited by elkangorito

Well..I passed my Thai motorcycle test today! :D

The part that worried me was the practical, thats why I was so happy to find that link, which gave me a little bit of a heads up. Still, unfortunately only gives the same 30 questions. Would be nice if they gave more of a mix.

Today I still failed by one question on the first attempt :) But, thankfully passed on the 2nd. Some questions are really quite obscure!

Best of luck to all who are going for the test also.

More of a feeIing of exhausted victory! Haha! Thanks NADTATIDA :)

Edit: I meant to say the part that worried me was the theory..duh! Sorry, been a Iong day.

Edited by eek

I still failed by one question on the first attempt :) But, thankfully passed on the 2nd. Some questions are really quite obscure!

Best of luck to all who are going for the test also.

I hate to admit that I failed the bike test the first time. The lady sitting at the table supossedly watching did not see me signal to turn right, which I did. My mistake was being too quick turning it off as I turned.

Advice? Make every action slightly exaggerated. No different to "back home" wherever that maybe.

If doing the car test adjust the passenger mirror so you can see the ground alongside the car as you will have to stop the car within a fixed distance from the curb. If you can see the yellow line in the mirror, it makes it easier.

Edited by VocalNeal

WOW!

Has anyone taken a good look at the first-aid instructions in that presentation? I'd have to say I genuinely think a large Buddha amulet might offer a better chance at surviving the trauma from a vehicular accident, than some of the literally dangerous suggestions put up in that document. And frankly, after a bunch of years in Thailand, and at least a partial understanding of Thai grammar, I don't think it's just a "lost in translation" problem. :D

In any case, I'd be particularly suspicious of a first aid manual that cautions you not to try to apply treatment to an already-dead person, but instead, the still-living persons.

Wow. Seriously. It actually SAYS that. :)

Did you get the bit about the limit on the number of passengers you're supposed to carry? I almost choked on my sticky rice, on that one.

And for sure, some of the "correct" answers in the quiz absolutely defy western (or actually, ANY) logic.. But that's not so surprising.

One has only to drive the roads of Thailand to know how completely useless "knowledge of the traffic laws" is (because they're utterly ignored by 90+% of Thai motorists). There's almost no need to know them, except to avoid tangles with the police (who don't need to have "real laws" to pull you over with, anyway).

Amazing Thailand!

Still, if your aim is to get a Thai driving licence, this link is helpful. If anyone can post more hints on how to get through the tests (like that mirror trick for the driving test), I think that would benefit this thread. And if it was too blurry to read, I'll reiterate that bringing a valid International Licence with you from another country let's you skip several steps in the process, including the "dreaded" road test.

I went up to the land transport department this morning and asked if the car licence allowed me to ride a motoer bike and it seems as though I actually need a separate one.

Fortunately I brought m UK licence, one from Papua New Guinea and one from New Zealand plus a copy of my passport photo page, visa page, yellow tabien baan and a copy of my address certified by the Embassy and it was a certified translation approved and stamped by the ministry of Consular Affairs in BKK.

That cost me 655 baht for the car licence valid for 5 years and another 150 baht for a temporary motorcycle licence valid for 1 year after which I will get another 5 year licence.

We stumbled through it in my mangled Thai and their better English.

They were very helpful and friendly and it was a pleasure to go there.

Fortunately I didn't need to take a test and as I was parked out of sight of the office I climbed on my motorcycle and rode home. :)