Best Place To Buy Music

INTJ

Hi,

Could anybody point me towards a big music store (ie. with a big selection of original CD's) in BKK, I'm looking for a few obscure titles. I seem to remember many moons ago there was a "Tower Records" in BKK, is this still there, and if so where, or "Virgin Megastores" or such like ? Any other recommendations ?

Thanks in Advance,

INTJ.

Not a big store, but the best selection for "obscure" music in BKK is a place called DoReMe in Siam Square.

It's near the Siam BTS on the same side of the street as the Lido theatre, opposite Siam Complex. The owner is really sweet with a good music background as well.

Also, Amazon.com has a few good free indie MP3 downloads that are free.

I seem to remember many moons ago there was a "Tower Records" in BKK, is this still there, and if so where

Tower Records was in Siam Discovery Center, and they did have HUGE selection.

Unfortunately I haven't been down there for "many moons" myself- not sure if it is still there.

Get a Thai person to call 1133 for you and find out!

CD WAREHOUSE is probably the biggest music store in Thailand. I don't know how obscure your titles are, but I never found a CD I'm looking for at these shops. Store clerks are less than friendly, unprofessional in customer service and don't know many artists/titles. Not a recommended shop.

Tower Records withdrew from Thai market 3 - 4 years ago and Virgin Records never came to Thailand.

My favorite music store in Bangkok is DECO Home Entertainment with branches in Siam Discovery, Amarin Plaza, Emporium and soon in Siam Paragon. They are a distributor for high-end AV brands like Lynn, Totem Accoustic and NEC (plasma display) but they also sell CD/DVDs at very reasonable price (cheaper than CD Warehouse) + they have a good selection of Jazz and classics. What I like about this shop is that they'll let you listen to every titles they have in the store upon request (and that's with high-end audio set, not with a cheap and lousy headphone like at CD Warehouse). It's also one of the few stores in Thailand where you can buy SACD (Super Audio CD). Having said that, I buy most of the CDs from Japanese and US amazon. :o

Edited by Nordlys

... My favorite music store in Bangkok is DECO Home Entertainment with branches in Siam Discovery, Amarin Plaza, Emporium and soon in Siam Paragon.  They are a distributor for high-end AV brands like Lynn, Totem Accoustic and NEC (plasma display) but they also sell CD/DVDs at very reasonable price (cheaper than CD Warehouse) + they have a good selection of Jazz and classics.  What I like about this shop is that they'll let you listen to every titles they have in the store upon request (and that's with high-end audio set, not with a cheap and lousy headphone like at CD Warehouse) ...
Agree, my favorite is the Emporium location, staff is very knowledgeable, especially when I'm looking for specific Thai titles, (Annita, Thai pop, etc), :o

• 2 years later...
CD WAREHOUSE is probably the biggest music store in Thailand. I don't know how obscure your titles are, but I never found a CD I'm looking for at these shops. Store clerks are less than friendly, unprofessional in customer service and don't know many artists/titles. Not a recommended shop.

Tower Records withdrew from Thai market 3 - 4 years ago and Virgin Records never came to Thailand.

There were a bunch of GREAT Tower Records stores and I couldn't go into one without buying at least 20 CDs. When they left town, CD Warehouse took over their stores, but they are WAY too commercial for me. I have a hard time finding even one CD to take home when I visit Bangkok every 3 months, or so. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.