Windows Xp Home Edition

wilson steer

In the old days when I used Windows 98 I used to press (together) Control/Alt/Delete and see a list of programmes running and have the option of closing them one by one etc.

Now I am on Windows XP, I hardly ever need to use Con/Alt/Del, yet when I do my computer crashes. I get a million green data icons on my taskbar that go crazy, the only solution is to cut the power and restart.

This happens EVERY time, it is not a one off, anyone know what's wrong? And what should I expect when I pres Con/Alt/Del on an XP operating system?

Thanks. W.S.

In the old days when I used Windows 98 I used to press (together) Control/Alt/Delete and see a list of programmes running and have the option of closing them one by one etc.

Now I am on Windows XP, I hardly ever need to use Con/Alt/Del,  yet when I do my computer crashes. I get a million green data icons on my taskbar that go crazy, the only solution is to cut the power and restart.

This happens EVERY time, it is not a one off, anyone know what's wrong? And what should I expect when I pres Con/Alt/Del on an XP operating system?

Thanks. W.S.

You should be getting a task manager similar to the Win98 version- just more modern. My guess is that your Win XP installation is dirty / corrupted. Did you use an original XP installer disk, or a Thai special?

In any case- the only solution is probably to reformat / reinstall WinXP. :o

wilson steer - Are you refering to an new computer which came with XP or did you install XP on a computer which had been running Win98?

If latter, was XP installed over 98 or did you do a complete re-format installation? (In other words, is/was your XP install disk an "Upgrade" or a "Full" version?)

Have you recently updated XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)?

If you right click on taskbar and click on "Task Manager" in new window, do you see the same problem?

:o