Newbie Question With A Hint Of Panic...

Sorry about this, but I have searched the forum and just need confirmation of a concern with regards to my current visa:

I have a multiple entry "O" type visa. First entry was Dec 26th and permission to stay date is Mar 25th.

I was planning on doing a visa run to Cambodia using a bus service from Bangkok tomorrow.

Q:

Will I be able to get a new 90 day period using a border run service as described above (some visa extensions/renewals seem to require that you exit/enter via air)?

I had a nagging fear that maybe if my current permit to stay was still valid, the border immigration would not issue a new 90 day period but simply allow me to re-enter with the still valid permit to stay. I now assume this is incorrect - they will always issue a new 90 day period?

I will not have to pay any fee for the new 90 day period stamp (worried that border run agent may try and convince me otherwise)?

Mar 25th is definitely the date that I MUST leave the country - meaning I do not have to leave on Mar 24th and Mar 26th would mean I have overstayed?

Stupid basic questions, but first time I'm doing this and just had a shock as I thought I was permitted here until Mar 26th (good thing I bothered to check!)

Edited by schmutzie

go to immigration and get a 30 day extension cost 1900 baht, then you go do visa run after, best to do 2 or 3 days before visa runs out.

I don't think you can extend beyond 90 days, but could be wrong.

The idea behind the 1 year multiple entry was that it worked out slightly cheaper than doing the 60 day visa plus extension fees.

You will get 90 days when you return.

You will need to pay for a Visa to enter Cambodia.

If you do a border run just before your Visa expires you will get another 90 days making a total of almost 15 months.

So the plan I have works, ie. go tomorrow (on date of expiry of my permission to stay) and come back same day with a new 90 day period?

Sorry, I forgot about having to pay for Cambo visa. Is this paid in USD or can I pay in THB or VISA?

Post #3 is totally false information. You can not extend a non immigrant visa entry for 30 days.

There will be no charge by Thailand for the new entry of 90 days. You may leave on the date indicated but any return to use the visa must be done on the day prior to the visa stamp date of expiration. As soon as you depart Thailand the current permitted to stay until expires so there is no issue in leaving early.

They bother with that or you would not get an entry stamp for Thailand - it is checked.

You are correct - I assumed something where they had cut a deal with both sides to eliminate red tape.

FWIW, here's what happens as per my experience:

Arrive at bus pick up in Bangkok and hand over passport plus one passport photo.

Fill in current address and sign visa app in multiple places. The company fills in the rest of the form for you.

Board bus...pay 2000THB.

3 hours later arrive at Thai-Cambo border (Boipet).

Your passport is returned and you are instructed to make a note of your passport number.

Walk through Thai immigration and hand back passport to tour company.

Walk to Cambo immigration and fill in small immigration form (this is why you need to have a note of your passport number)

Hand back form and exit.

Taxi pick up to nearby hotel (500m)

Eat and relax for 1-2 hours

Taxi pickup and return to border.

Before crossing back over the border your passport is returned with your new Thai stamp or visa (in my case, 90 days permission to stay)

Cross border and board bus.

Return to Bangkok.