Nytimes Report On Implications Of New Us Health

orang37

March 23, 2010, 11:19 am — Updated: 12:26 pm

What the Health Care Overhaul Means for Americans Abroad

By JENNIFER SARANOW SCHULTZ

It's in the section titled "Your Money" in a sub-section called "Bucks."

While the article is not long, there are currently #73 reader comments, some of which are interesting, ioho.

best, ~o:37;

Could you post a link? This is important and the first time I have heard of any press coverage about that aspect of it.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Jingthing,

My impression is we are not alllowed to post links to the NYT, but this story is very easy to find : just go the NYT main site, and do a search on "Jennifer Saranow Schultz" (author's name), or "Bucks Blog" : you'll find the article quickly.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I think links to the Times are OK. We shall see. The info mirrors what many of us have been saying here. We are exempt based on bona fide non-US residency. However, there are some unresolved issues. What if you stay in the US 60 days one year (which is too many days to qualify as a bona fide non resident according to the IRS). Then what?

is any of the bill retroactive? does this mean i can re-apply for payment of

medical expenses to my us insurance carrier that denied payment on my

open heart surgery..................because it's considered cosmetic surgery?

is any of the bill retroactive? does this mean i can re-apply for payment of medical expenses to my us insurance carrier that denied payment on my open heart surgery..................because it's considered cosmetic surgery?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ChouDoufu,

The US has never paid medical expenses (under MediCare) for anyone living outside the US : there's no evidence that policy will change. Perhaps there are other plans we have no knowledge of that do cover US citizens living abroad ?

Good luck, ~o:37;