2nd Bike For Town

saorsa

Im thinking to buy a 2nd bike for driving around town in BKK to save the humpty dumpty. Was thinking of a 2nd hand 400 jap, but maybe it is better to get a new bike like ER6n. Are there any other options for mid sized bikes at reasonable prices other than the ER6N? My mate had one and even after changing the back shock for Ohlins, he found it really skittish on corners and the brakes kind of grabby. My max budget for it is around 300k.

A lot of good choices, but I stick by the CBR 150. In and out of traffic as good as any motorbike, and then do 140 kph on the highway coming home. Looks good, very low maintenance, and as one owner said...practically bullet proof.

I have a CBR 150 and like it a lot, but 140 assumes you are on level or downhill ground with the wind on your back. I've found that 120 or 125 is about the maximum sustainable cruising speed. Quite sufficient for Bangkok though.

Not really sure what you mean by "for town", but if it is truly for in and around town, wouldn't a new Honda PCX be ideal -- peppy, maneuverable in the traffic and a heavier/larger than the average Thai scooter? Going from "king size" to "mid size" really doesn't accomplish much, does it? Sorry if I have offended a HD rider.

Hi BigbikeBkk,

You right this ducati looks nice ...i also like the triumph street triple, goes for appr 580000 thb new -like the "triple" engine ...but this is 280000 thb over the budget from saorsa.

here a street triple picture:

000010_2008_Triumph_Street_Triple.jpg

Patcat

Hi BigbikeBkk,

You right this ducati looks nice ...i also like the triumph street triple, goes for appr 580000 thb new -like the "triple" engine ...but this is 280000 thb over the budget from saorsa.

here a street triple picture:

000010_2008_Triumph_Street_Triple.jpg

Patcat

Street Triple R, is dam_n sexy....would make a great bike for LOS. :)

Not really sure what you mean by "for town", but if it is truly for in and around town, wouldn't a new Honda PCX be ideal -- peppy, maneuverable in the traffic and a heavier/larger than the average Thai scooter? Going from "king size" to "mid size" really doesn't accomplish much, does it? Sorry if I have offended a HD rider.

I know the poster wasn't aimed at me, but I think you are right. I have a HD road king but find it way too big (bulky-overheating and so on) for Pattaya traffic and use my Fino for that. An little auto bike is by far the best for heavy traffic maybe expect for a little off-road bike.

But not sure what OP means by BKK, quite a big area with the suburbs included.

For inner BKK driving I'd aim for any bike that's very narrow so you can weave through the constant traffic.

There's no sense in having a wide bike that's always slowed down by traffic.

On Tuesday I saw a used black DRZ400 at Teera right now for 250K and another 40K to plate it, but I'm not sure how reputable these guys are.

http://www.tpmotorcycle.com/products/listproduct.asp

I'd guess it would be an ideal bike for downtown BKK but its against my personal principles to pay 3 times what these go for in America.

DRZ400SMK8.jpg

Edited by ttakata

If I had money to burn this would be my urban assault vehicle-

Ducati_Hypermotard_796.jpg

These new Hypermotards are selling like mad in the 'Kok right now and I've ridden one and it rocks!

U.G.L.Y. Wot were they thinking?

Funny I think it looks S.E.X.Y.

If money were no object, definitely.

ducati-hypermotard-796-black-silver.jpg

... Ducati Hypermotard 796. Coming in either a Matte Black, Matte White, and Ducati Red finish. The bike is rumored to priced below the $10,000 mark which will make this a great deal. The bike also features an all-new Ducati 796 engine good for 81hp and incredible fuel mileage, an APTC “wet” clutch offering a slipper action to prevent rear-end destabilization during aggressive down-shifting. The Ducati Hypermotard 796 is set for a November 2009 release.

"Below $10,000" probably translates to $20,000 or THB 660,000 in the LOS. Ok so yeah meanwhile that's only just above 640k but let's not rub it in right now the USD exchange rate is bad enough.

Edited by nikster

For inner BKK driving I'd aim for any bike that's very narrow so you can weave through the constant traffic.

There's no sense in having a wide bike that's always slowed down by traffic.

On Tuesday I saw a used black DRZ400 at Teera right now for 250K and another 40K to plate it, but I'm not sure how reputable these guys are.

http://www.tpmotorcycle.com/products/listproduct.asp

I'd guess it would be an ideal bike for downtown BKK but its against my personal principles to pay 3 times what these go for in America.

Teera openly admits 40k is a recycled book (previously another bikes book, swap vin number and change enginesize and color in book to match). for 80k you get a "legal" book

street triple is a great bike, but too expensive for a 2nd bike...hadnt thought about a supermoto, but the 400 looks good. I dont want to go smaller than a 400, so that could be ideal. will have a ponder...need to go offshore again to get some cash to pay for it before I make the buy.

I'm in agreement that a 400 is minimal as I weigh 96 kilos. I like the Yamaha SR400 which is being produced again. It is lightweight and is a single so it's narrow to get through traffic. This one is a little modified but it's my style of bike. Everyone to their own. Enjoy whatever you buy.

big_moon_sr400.jpg

I'm in agreement that a 400 is minimal as I weigh 96 kilos. I like the Yamaha SR400 which is being produced again. It is lightweight and is a single so it's narrow to get through traffic. This one is a little modified but it's my style of bike. Everyone to their own. Enjoy whatever you buy.

big_moon_sr400.jpg

any more pics of modified sr400 s .can they be bought new again ??????????????

If I had money to burn this would be my urban assault vehicle-

Ducati_Hypermotard_796.jpg

These new Hypermotards are selling like mad in the 'Kok right now and I've ridden one and it rocks!

U.G.L.Y. Wot were they thinking?

Funny I think it looks S.E.X.Y.

If money were no object, definitely.

ducati-hypermotard-796-black-silver.jpg

... Ducati Hypermotard 796. Coming in either a Matte Black, Matte White, and Ducati Red finish. The bike is rumored to priced below the $10,000 mark which will make this a great deal. The bike also features an all-new Ducati 796 engine good for 81hp and incredible fuel mileage, an APTC “wet” clutch offering a slipper action to prevent rear-end destabilization during aggressive down-shifting. The Ducati Hypermotard 796 is set for a November 2009 release.

"Below $10,000" probably translates to $20,000 or THB 660,000 in the LOS. Ok so yeah meanwhile that's only just above 640k but let's not rub it in right now the USD exchange rate is bad enough.

Close enough;

http://www.ducatithailand.com/financial.php

B590,000 = USD$18,300

any more pics of modified sr400 s .can they be bought new again ??????????????

Last I heard they are still being produced for the Japan market. Here is a pic of the

2008 30th Anniversary Special. They are easly modified and parts are readily available.

The model produced is a little too classic for me. I like the custom look so here is another

custom photo you asked for.

Stock

SR203020ANIVs.jpg

Custom

gravel_sr400.jpg