Fatal Motorcycle Accident Near Pattaya Claims One Life

2. 54

Wine In Checked Baggage

3. 6

Words sentences that are offensive

4. 30

Tobbaco

5. 14

Why Does Kamala Harris Disrespect Minorities by Imitating their Accents.?

6. 2

Pickup Truck Driver Falls Asleep, Crashes into 2 Motorcycles, Leaving 1 Dead & 1 Injured

7. 509

Pattaya Bar/Go-Go Death Watch

8. 25

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

9. 2

Fatal Motorcycle Accident Near Pattaya Claims One Life

10. 25

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

11. 105

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

12. 509

Pattaya Bar/Go-Go Death Watch

13. 1,007

Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

Glasses Recommendation

sticklee

Yes glasses have been covered in other threads but my needs are specific and I'd rather not get buried in an old thread. I'm needing replacement sunglasses lenses which are progressive and have pronounced curvature. The recommended shop on Ratchawiti Rd. cannot do them due to the curvature. Any experience out there?

~

I am in the same circumstance as I have an astigmatism in my left eye which local shops seen unable to deal with.

As before, I will suggest that you AVOID Top Cheroen (sp?), especially in the Huay Keaw Center. They made me pay in advance because my glasses had to be cut in BKK and they absolutely refused to do them again when they came back completely unusable except as TV viewing glasses - for over 6000 THB! I went to several other of their locations, searched the internet, and to this day cannot find their headquarters with whom to file a complaint or seek resolution.

I look forward to the results of your query...

I have had several pair from the place on Ratchawiti Rd close to Irish Pub but I am thinking that apart from speaking reasonable english (which his staff do not) he is not as good as I once thought.

He doesn't sell Essilor lenses, He doen't carry Lindberg frames (which HRH Bhumipon wears)

I have lost a good deal of faith in this shop.

Top Charoen in whichever shopping mall they may be located are a scam outfit at best. The do not have good computer diagnostic equipment which at least the guy on Ratchawiti Rd does and are are just like a McDonalds or Burger King selling spectacles.

OK all I have said is negative BUT I currently do not have any positives "sorry" :)

I used Top Charoen in Santhitam Road. I also have astigmatism in both eyes and wanted varifocal lenses.

They did a prescription

put the test glasses on my eyes for reading ....... both eyes good.

Put the different test glasses on my eyes for long sight ...... 1 lens good, 1 lens hopeless

Second attempt ....... 1 lens good, 1 lens hopeless

Third attempt ...... both eyes good.

I was concerned about my purchase that had to be manufactured in Bangkok but only left a 1000bht deposit.

When they arrived everything was fine, total 4000bht (UK cost would have been nearer 10,000bht).

Like everything in LOS, you need to check very carefully what you are buying before you hand over the cash.

Edited by sarahsbloke

• 3 months later...

I finally found a shop and can recommend their service. Optic Square, main level, Kad Suan Kaew. To the left of the main escalators. I shopped around a lot, prices varied as high as 8500THB, but none would guarantee their product. Until I found Optic Square. 3500THB fully progressive, tinted sunglass lenses. Fully guaranteed with a warranty card. They are not perfect but better than expected. The lenses have pronounced curve, some shops said 'cannot do'. Not tinted as dark as I had wanted and they could not replicate the colour of the originals. Also could not do the reflective coating, which was the same story every where I went. They also do not ask for payment up front, deposit is ok. Ask for Joy, she speaks good English.

I finally found a shop and can recommend their service. Optic Square, main level, Kad Suan Kaew. To the left of the main escalators. I shopped around a lot, prices varied as high as 8500THB, but none would guarantee their product. Until I found Optic Square. 3500THB fully progressive, tinted sunglass lenses. Fully guaranteed with a warranty card. They are not perfect but better than expected. The lenses have pronounced curve, some shops said 'cannot do'. Not tinted as dark as I had wanted and they could not replicate the colour of the originals. Also could not do the reflective coating, which was the same story every where I went. They also do not ask for payment up front, deposit is ok. Ask for Joy, she speaks good English.

I've had a couple of sets of Hoya progressive lens from Optic Square (2,900 Baht tinted to my liking)

No problems for me and Joy's a nice girl.....just speak English slowly.....but her Thai is pretty good! :)

As well as an upto date eye test, Beautiful Optic at Airport Plaza did me a pair of varifocals which I have been very happy with. Rodenstock lenses so not cheap but still half the price of Europe. I showed to my European optician during a visit back home and he said they were a good job with a spot on prescription. He was surprised because my prescription is quite strong and represents a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for this thread folks. While I don't have astigmatism and I wear contacts most of the time, I do keep a backup set of glasses. My prescription is -10.5 and -9.5 so I do understand the problems with getting good lenses. Beautiful Optic and Optic Square sound like the best places to start the search when I get there.