Taiwan Vacation

kerm99

Hi,

I am planning my Songkran vacation in Taiwan.

Anyone ever been there? Any advice? Suggestion?

I am also looking for cheap airline ticket. I already look at the usual (thai, air aisa) and at Kayak. Does anyone knows of any cheaper airline company flying to Taipei

I appreciate any kind of info

Cheers,

Lived there long time ago. Been out of touch for a few years but one thing you definitely should not miss is the National Museum in Taipei - really fascinating. A trip to the '101 Tower' should also be interesting.

Check prices with China Airlines and EVA Air.

I have had several business trips to Taiwan recently. I flew business class very cheaply by KLM. The flight comes into Bangkok from Schiphol and then hops to Taipei as the final destination, virtually empty. It's nice to be pampered and get to go upstairs on a jumbo jet!

I stayed at the Grand Hotel in Taipei the first time. It truly is an experience and beautifully constructed like a Chinese temple. The rooms are huge and mine had an enormous balcony (7th floor). You really feel like an Emperor staying there and the staff service must rival Raffles. But it's a step from town, so a taxi is necessary to get downtown.

In Taipei itself I usually stay at the Cosmos Hotel. Rooms are small, but very nice. About 2,000 baht a night. It's about 100 metres from Central Station. For something better I stayed at the Ceasar Park, opposite the station for a couple of nights. Nice, but not worth double the price.

Taipei is a busy centre with lots of young exec style people shopping around. There's a big IT centre opposite the station too. I like Taipei very much. A good scenic trip is the Shinkansen (Bullet train) which runs from Central Station down to Kaouhsiung on the souhern tip of the island. The trip is about 3 hours, half the time of the regular train. I've used both. The high speed service is pure luxury, but the slow service, if you have the time, is cheap and you get the flavour of the local life.

In Kaohsiung I stayed at the Gear Hotel - forget it, it's not good or 'west friendly'. I needed to make an international call from my room and was told to go to the post office to make the call! Then I tried the Royal Lees. Super!

As far as the scenic side of Taiwan is concerned, as I have been on business, I saw very little. But I believe the east coast and the mountains are beautiful (but no train service). The betel nut girls are an attractive sideline!

Finding someone to speak English in Taiwan is not easy and try as I could, I could not find a single walk-in bar. I had to sit on a park bench with a can from 7-11.

The best is looking around old Taiwan. The streets are very Chinese and very interesting. I stayed at the Imperial in this area. Also a nice hotel. But all the restaurant menus are in Chinese, so you have to be brave to go in. I believe snake alley is a highlight of Taiwan but I was warned it's a pickpocket's paradise and to go in pairs!

Nice airport, quiet and a duty free area. Good taxi service into town.

I like Taiwan very much. I have never felt unsafe in Taiwan. I prefer Japan, but Taiwan is cheaper. In many ways, Taiwan is like a poor man's Japan.

Enjoy!

P&M