International Driving Permit

Rasseru

In plain old everyday English, the second level of a building is called first floor by Brits,....

Actually, the older English is spoken in the USA but probably "plain and everyday" in both countries, the US as well as in the UK. The Brits speak "British English" and maybe 82% of the US-Americans speak "American English" as a first language.

.... and second floor by Americans (and Thais). The distinction was made to make it clear for all of us which floor to had to in that building.

Not a very distinguished trait of rasseru to mention an non-existing language, the "American language". After all, it doesn't make it easier for "all of us", whoever you included in your imagination. He could have used a more appropriate term if he wanted to make something clear for the ones of us who need this clarification: "for us US-Americans" or "in American English terms"

And did you want to show how well you are using your brains when writing "which floor to had to in that building"? After heading home write ten times: "I had better gone to elementary school."

FYI, most Americans will not agree with your explanation as in many American countries the second level of a building is called "primera planta", in others "segunda planta". It is the second floor only for US-Americans.

No need to suspect a conspiracy.

You are the only one with this impression.

Not a very distinguished trait of rasseru to mention an non-existing language, the "American language". After all, it doesn't make it easier for "all of us", whoever you included in your imagination. He could have used a more appropriate term if he wanted to make something clear for the ones of us who need this clarification: "for us US-Americans" or "in American English terms"

And did you want to show how well you are using your brains when writing "which floor to had to in that building"? After heading home write ten times: "I had better gone to elementary school."

FYI, most Americans will not agree with your explanation as in many American countries the second level of a building is called "primera planta", in others "segunda planta". It is the second floor only for US-Americans.

You are the only one with this impression.

Rant over? Off topic and nothing to do with anything. Obviously the lift didn't make it to the top floor......

Rant over? Off topic and nothing to do with anything. Obviously the lift didn't make it to the top floor......

I prefer using the stairs or if available: an elevator. It's safer and healthier this way and I don't get overwhelmed counting :rolleyes:

No rant. Just having fun. :lol: Will go and get my IDP tomorrow and report back. Promised.:whistling:

Firesily, of course, it was a typo. No need to get nervous about it.

• 8 months later...
I was always under the impression that the IDP was basically a translation of your licence if it wasn't in English. Since the Thai licences are now in English, I didn't think that there was any reason to get an IDP anymore.

First, a minor point. English is not the only 'important' language in the world. An IDP, at least one issued here, provides information about your passport in Thai, English, Spanish, Russian, German, Chinese, Arabic, Japanese and French.

I've used the new licences in the US and Canada without any hassles at all (including renting).

That is both good for you and good to know.

Then again, perhaps other countries require an IDP. It would be good to know which countries require this for reference.

That is exactly the point. It's a country by country matter. In my case, I am going to Bali for a month, and my research taught me that Indonesia will allow me to drive there if I have an IDP together with my Thai driving license.

English is not the only 'important' language in the world really I think you should really look more into your comment