Bringing Seeds To Thailand

Billfo

Hi,

I'm currently back in the UK visiting the family. I'd like to take some plant seeds back to Thailand, like Mustard Cress or some Grass seeds. Does anyone know if customs allows seeds from a foreign country into Thailand? I know for example Australia is very strict on these kinds of things.

cheers

I wouldnot bother bringing them. I brought beefsteak tomatoe seeds ,carrot seeds, beet seeds and potatoes. The carrots sprouted in one day and were an 2 inches high in 24 hours, same with the beets. But 2 little leaves on top of every plant and stem thread thin. Three days later they all fell over and died, no roots.

The tomato plants sprouted first day also and kept growing straight up with few leaves. I kept supporting the plants so they wouldnot fall over and die.These were 80 day tomatoe plants. They ended up growing like vines and not flowering for 3 months I kept them alive with tenedr care for 7 months it was not a garden it was a science project. I had a total of 9 flowers on the one plant that lasted 7 months. Not a tomatoe to be had. Again no root system.

Now the potatoes were same as tomatoes grew fast and tall few leaves. I kept one alive for 4 months, then decided to check for potatoes. There was no root system never mind potatoes.

Seeds from northern climates just are no good here. Donot waste your time. But they are easy to bring put in suitcase or send by mail it all works no problem.

You can bring them in, but you must declare them and there is a procedure. They will keep some of the seeds for analysis.

You must have a phytosanitary certificate for the seeds as well.

I've never tried bringing them through the airport, but that is the rule when you receive them by the post office. I can't imagine the rules change based on the mode of transport. Of course, you can always just put them in with a bunch of honey coated peanuts that you get on the plane and walk on through.

@lovelomsak,

did you put them outside in the full sun?

What you think about planting them below the house(no direct sun, and not so damned hot)

What kind of earth did you use?

I was trying to see if they would grow so I kept them in my front carport out of direct sun planted in large clay pots. I purchased bags of growing soil rom the local garden shop.

Possibly not enough light in that case? if they grow like vines they may be putting all their energy into growing tall, in an attempt to catch more light. That said, tomatoes are just difficult.

I'm mostly experimenting with chili pepper seeds and those do reasonably well. I'm still figuring out the best practices though. They need enough light, but don't like scorching afternoon sun. Probably some light shade cloth would be the way to go.

I was actually gonna post the same question a couple of days ago, my missus loves gardening and i was thinking about bringing seeds over, if they die they die no plomplem :)

I often bring over whole plants no problems yet but I know I shoudlnt. Seeds will grow fine here if given the correct care. Some wont due to the heat or like Olives will grow but not flower as they need a cold spell to do this.

going to moe to farming forum as they can give better real info...

as for olive trees/u have to be kidding. israel is one big olive grove and only certain areas get cold... apples need cold, pears and plums and cherries need cold. olives dont. they are just very very very very very slow growers. it is a tree u plant for your grandkids to harvest from...

as for seeds and stuff; all the thai workers bring seeds/seedlings!/pits etc back to thailand in their suitcases... but a lot of stuf just doesnt work in the tropic and semi tropic climate not to mention the different soils then europe /us/uk...

bina

I took some Flower seeds back from the UK and got mixed results. Never did my homework as to what would do best in the hot climate. Silly Me.

I do think if you select the right Types you could have more Luck. And I did water every night. :)

<br />I wouldnot bother bringing them. I brought beefsteak tomatoe seeds ,carrot seeds, beet seeds and potatoes. The carrots sprouted in one day and were an 2 inches high in 24 hours, same with the beets. But 2 little leaves on top of every plant and stem thread thin. Three days later they all fell over and died, no roots.<br /> The tomato plants sprouted first day also and kept growing straight up with few leaves. I kept supporting the plants so they wouldnot fall over and die.These were 80 day tomatoe plants. They ended up growing like vines and not flowering for 3 months I kept them alive with tenedr care for 7 months it was not a garden it was a science project. I had a total of 9 flowers on the one plant that lasted 7 months. Not a tomatoe to be had. Again no root system.<br /> Now the potatoes were same as tomatoes grew fast and tall few leaves. I kept one alive for 4 months, then decided to check for potatoes. There was no root system never mind potatoes.<br /> Seeds from northern climates just are no good here. Donot waste your time. But they are easy to bring put in suitcase or send by mail it all works no problem.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

tomatoes,come in a huge variety,it would fill the post to no end.

pls see Google,just klick Tomatoes.

BTW,did you know that Tomatoes and Potatoes are from the same family,now ye know,its fantastic,researchers tried to crossbreed to create topotatoes or the other way around.

T. grow normally very easy,needs well drained soil and a sunny plot.,advise: put the seeds in warm water overnight and then plant in nursery boxes of any kind.

LOL,I use empty beer boxes with garden soil about 10 cm high.

Dropthe seeds ontop of the watered soil and cover with fine sand 2cm.

Wait some days for sprouting and the seedlings will appear.

I grow them for a hight of 1 foot,30 cm,then transplant them in the garden soil.I dig a hole of 15 cm and the plants with roots are find their home.Immediately after X-planting I water the plants,the whole procedure best done in the late afternoon.

Support the plant with a stick and support with a string.

In the morning the plant needs some water again ,and in the afternoon allok.

I grow NO thai variety ,the egg shaped,tasteless sort,bought some tomatoes in the local market,guess a doughter or son carried them from abroad,

dried the seed and planted them.Water the plants one time a day.

Support the grown/fruiting plants(up to one meter high with long bamboo sticks or anythaing,use blue nettings around the plot of 20 plants because the birds like the fruit when ripening from green to yellow to red.

Did some good,still small birds?? got to the T.

Now I use my christmas decoration with garlsnds jingle bells and all, and no bird of the feathered kind dares to approach.

Nuff said.

No law against bringing seeds into Thailand for agricultural purposes whether hand carried or, as a friend does, by post. On one occasion customs required his presence in Nong Khai to inspect a shipment of Eucalyptas seeds from Aust. but that was as far as it went. His plantation is thriving, MUCH better than the crap seedlings bought locally.

<br />
<br />I wouldnot bother bringing them. I brought beefsteak tomatoe seeds ,carrot seeds, beet seeds and potatoes. The carrots sprouted in one day and were an 2 inches high in 24 hours, same with the beets. But 2 little leaves on top of every plant and stem thread thin. Three days later they all fell over and died, no roots.<br /> The tomato plants sprouted first day also and kept growing straight up with few leaves. I kept supporting the plants so they wouldnot fall over and die.These were 80 day tomatoe plants. They ended up growing like vines and not flowering for 3 months I kept them alive with tenedr care for 7 months it was not a garden it was a science project. I had a total of 9 flowers on the one plant that lasted 7 months. Not a tomatoe to be had. Again no root system.<br /> Now the potatoes were same as tomatoes grew fast and tall few leaves. I kept one alive for 4 months, then decided to check for potatoes. There was no root system never mind potatoes.<br /> Seeds from northern climates just are no good here. Donot waste your time. But they are easy to bring put in suitcase or send by mail it all works no problem.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />tomatoes,come in a huge variety,it would fill the post to no end.<br />pls see Google,just klick Tomatoes.<br />BTW,did you know that Tomatoes and Potatoes are from the same family,now ye know,its fantastic,researchers tried to crossbreed to create topotatoes or the other way around.<br />T. grow normally very easy,needs well drained soil and a sunny plot.,advise: put the seeds in warm water overnight and then plant in nursery boxes of any kind.<br />LOL,I use empty beer boxes with garden soil about 10 cm high.<br />Dropthe seeds ontop of the watered soil and cover with fine sand 2cm.<br />Wait some days for sprouting and the seedlings will appear.<br />I grow them for a hight of 1 foot,30 cm,then transplant them in the garden soil.I dig a hole of 15 cm and the plants with roots are find their home.Immediately after X-planting I water the plants,the whole procedure best done in the late afternoon.<br />Support the plant with a stick and support with a string.<br />In the morning the plant needs some water again ,and in the afternoon allok.<br />I grow NO thai variety ,the egg shaped,tasteless sort,bought some tomatoes in the local market,guess a doughter or son carried them from abroad,<br />dried the seed and planted them.Water the plants one time a day.<br />Support the grown/fruiting plants(up to one meter high with long bamboo sticks or anythaing,use blue nettings around the plot of 20 plants because the birds like the fruit when ripening from green to yellow to red.<br />Did some good,still small birds?? got to the T.<br />Now I use my christmas decoration with garlsnds jingle bells and all, and no bird of the feathered kind dares to approach.<br />Nuff said.<br />
<br /><br /><br />