Motorbikes

Simone

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firstly, there is no such beast as a Honda Dream 125.

There are Honda Waves R, S, Z and i.

Personally, I would go for any of the Honda Wave 125's. Parts are easy to get and every mechanic knows how to fix them.

Two years ago I bought a new Honda "DREAM 125". YES they do/did make them. After my girlfriend left with that one I bought a 100 Honda Wave. I also bought a Suzuki 125 for the house up country. The Suzuki definitely runs better and is not cold blooded like the Hondas. The Suzuki also has a big box under the seat that holds almost as much as the front basket. Whatever you buy, look for the large storage box under the seat. You'll be glad you did.

if your looking for storage, buy a big bike and get saddle bags or cases, other than that buy the little honda as the parts are a LOT cheaper and all the Thais know how to work on them. Cheaper in the long run.

For what it is worth, I find the Dream to be a bit more rugged and more suitable for rural usage, you know, going to the market, carrying large oversize and over weight loads, or carrying a family of four down mountain roads. The Wave is more of a city bike, a little lighter with a bit more zip for stop and go urban traffic. There are countless teachers who commuted to remote schools daily on Dreams as the government once subsidizeed Dreams for the teachers.

One problem I had with the Wave was following the track of the front wheel when driving on very narrow paths, or on boards, with widths only slightly wider than the tire itself, a not uncommon scenario in rural areas.

As others have noted the Wave does have the disc brake but although I may take my little step-through to remote mountain villages, I do not drive these small bikes recklessly and the brakes are not a major issue for me.

If you live in the city go for the Wave and if you hang out with the Thai hillbillys like me go for the Dream.

Dear Simone,

Be careful with disc brakes in front. As many other respondents already said: These brakes are too strong for these light machines.

Three (3!) of my friends noticed this in practise. Locking front wheels made them kiss the earth. And not the late popy way!

All three have scarces now, head, arm and leg. The average time to heal after falling was about three months. One a little bit longer, because his leg had to be broken again.

A friend told me to use the disc-brake with only one finger.

The Honda Dream and Wave are perfect machines and also good in the mountains. New out is the Wave-i, a very beautiful bike with a125 cc injection engine. I have here a Wave 125s (yes with this horrible disc-brake) and a Jamaha 110 Fresh.

I actually prefer the Yamaha. It starts easier, drives more smooth, is lighter and a little bit lower. And changing gears like an angel, where the Honda engine seems to have the character of a tractor. It steers nicer as well, much easier in town traffic. And it runs 90 km/h on the super-highway as well.

A friend who sells both brands, is also in favour of the Yamaha. For a simple reason: He gives free maintenance for the bikes he sells and with the Yamahas he has never a problem. The Honda 'piston-pen' is weak and the first part to go. Partly because of the older technology of the Honda. They often replace it with a copy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - I know this post has cooled down a bit but I have one more question. I have chosen my bike and now I could do with a little guidence on maintaining it.

To begin with I'm sure somone mentioned that I should drive at a slower speed for the first few hundred kms to break the engine in gently. IS this correct? Roughly what speed would that be for a 125?

Oil - checked how often, changed how often, how much will it cost (so I don't get ripped off)

Anything else I should know?

cheers.

First oil change should be after 500 Kms. Every oil change after that, every 1000 Kms (they say 2000 Kms but motor will last longer every 1000 Kms).

I put my Wave in every month for an oil change (regardless of Kms) and a full check. Costs me 80 Bht.

Suzuki Best 125 limited. no electric start but sexy looking bike with big storage space under seat. Also - no bulky dash like wave. At the end of the day its the bike that felt most comfortable.

Ok - I know this post has cooled down a bit but I have one more question. I have chosen my bike and now I could do with a little guidence on maintaining it.

To begin with I'm sure somone mentioned that I should drive at a slower speed for the first few hundred kms to break the engine in gently. IS this correct? Roughly what speed would that be for a 125?

Oil  - checked how often, changed how often, how much will it cost (so I don't get ripped off)

cheers.

Check the paperwork that came with the new bike, Simone, you may have vouchers in there for free services for the first 20,000kms. I had this when I bought my Honda a while back.

Some bikes say change oil at 1000km (service should be free) and every 3000 km thereafter. At least, that's the regimen for the CBR150. I guess they don't have oil filters, so you just change the oil. I always take mine to the dealer who sold it to me, and they know what to do. At the 30,000 km check (final one under warranty) they knew to change the water/antifreeze without me specifying it (also adjusted all four valves).

Simone, oil the chain about once a week (dry or wet season), and try to learn how to adjust it (but any shop will adjust your chain for about 40 baht or less). Buy an aerosol can of real chain lube. Check your air pressure in the tyres/tires about every second or third gas fill-up. When you're oiling the chain, check the tires for bad cuts or bruises. That's about it for the first 10K or 20K.

We always said, back home, that if there's an engine problem during the warranty period, the dealer is entitled to see that you changed the oil frequently. It's on their computer records, and I keep my receipts.

All this discussion over 125CC bike....?! I'd give buying a pair of shoes more consideration than buying a 125CC beast of a moped. What's my view of a 125CC machine? Well its about 500CC's short of anything I would want to own.

A 125cc bike gives you a far better chance finding a parking in busy night-life zones.And it´s easier to handle than a bicycle.And the cheapest option going from a to b without sweating your T-Shirt wet

All gesting aside... BkkMadness...

I liked your photo, it reminds me of the many reasons why I want to be in Thailand...

Such beauty, and such wonder that photo contains. So much better compared to the sand pit I currently reside.

A 125cc bike gives you a far better chance finding a parking in busy night-life zones.And it´s easier to handle than a bicycle.And the cheapest option going from a to b without sweating your T-Shirt wet

Trouble is, a 125cc has such limited pose value in those busy night-life zones :o.

Ideal is to have 2 bikes, one big and one small. Esp. upcountry and on highways a big bike is great fun but you'll have to wait a lo-o-ong time for parts to arrive and for local mechanics discover how to repair it . . . .

Oil  - checked how often, changed how often, how much will it cost (so I don't get ripped off)

cheers.

Um,theres been a few examples of bikes in the UK that have sufferd "glazed" bores due to meticulous running in,whereas bikes that have been thrashed from new have been no problem at all .

In my opinion,its more important not to let the engine labour in too high a gear,than to drive at lower speeds.

It should burn very little or no oil between changes.If it does,kick up a stink at the shop.

If a previous poster is right and there is no oil filter on it,make sure you stick to recomended changes.AND they put the right grade in.

Have fun. :o

BkkMadness - where you parked?

Looks nice. :o

In Tak up North West Thailand, near Maesot and the Burmese border. It's not actually my bike, it's my gf's grandma's steed but I use it so much everytime I'm there everybody jokes that it's my bike now. :D

They just don't seem to get the fact that I just like to take the bike out for a few hours and ride around the local countryside, but to me that's just bliss and I would love to travel the country that way but on a bigger bike of course. :D

I need a new camera actually, I posted this one here and another in the Thai food section, both nicely set out but the camera really let me down with the detail and colour/light, it was a lot nicer day than it looked in those pics.

All this discussion over 125CC bike....?!  I'd give buying a pair of shoes more consideration than buying a 125CC beast of a moped.  What's my view of a 125CC machine?  Well its about 500CC's short of anything I would want to own.

Big bikes really do not work that well in Thailand, the roads are not up to it. There are a lot more pitfalls than man hole covers in Los. Small bikes are cheap and get you around. Pose value nil - practical value 75% +. The other 25% is the car.

Hi There,

How do you rate the following bikes? Going to invest in a new bike asap and could do with some advice. Please keep in mind that a) i am a girl and don't need a powerful or sporty bike, :o I don't like automatic bikes but I do like automatic clutches, and c) I want a 125cc...

Honda Wave R 125

Honda Dream 125

Suzuki Smash 125

Kawasaki Kaze 125

Tiger 125

Simone

So how much can you pick up these up for brand new