Warning About Immigration Officals At Dan Nok

sorry i mean hat yai

hi all

i did my visa run today, at dan-nok, no problems leaving, no problems at malaysia.... but upon re-entering thailand, on a non-immi B visa.... the queue , was not too long but taking forever.... three italians in front of me, literally took 10 minutes each, and you could see money changing hands...

when i got to the officer, he painstaking looked for the smallest mistake, and kept asking trick questions...

oh you have non-immigrant B, you must have good job....

to which i replied.... i am not working in thailand... its illegal

then he said but this visa means you are working, i replied...

i work for my english company...

he then said how did you get to dan-nok,

i replied..

i hired a car..

he then said you have thai licence

in said no budget, accept UK licence....

he then said how long you in malaysia...

i said 3 minutes...

you supposed to be 1 day

i replied that is not correct, we havce letter from immigration in BKK

he then checked every single digit on my immi declaration... looking for a mistake

then he said.... why do you not use agent to fill in form...

i said.... i have been here for 10 years... i can fill it in quicker

he then re-checked everything and finally said

OK

so people be careful, one slip will cost you money....

he was playing with his coffee money,... clearly visible... be wary of the tricks

Edited by nickthebrit

Non Immigrant means you are working in Thailand, so why did you get a Non Immigrant B if you are not working in Thailand, good question by the officer. If your company is English and you are working here you need a work permit.

You can drive on a UK or license for 3 months in Thailand, thereafter you need to get a Thai License, another good question by the officer if he had looked in your passport and noticed you had been here for more than 3 months.

Oh I noticed you have been here for 10 years? So in reality you are driving illegally.

Non Immigrant means you are working in Thailand, so why did you get a Non Immigrant B if you are not working in Thailand, good question by the officer. If your company is English and you are working here you need a work permit.

You can drive on a UK or license for 3 months in Thailand, thereafter you need to get a Thai License, another good question by the officer if he had looked in your passport and noticed you had been here for more than 3 months.

Oh I noticed you have been here for 10 years? So in reality you are driving illegally.

ther's a job waiting for you in dan nok :)

ther's a job waiting for you in dan nok :)

Thanks but no thanks.

Why people always complain when others are doing their jobs I do not know, and how does the OP know that the Italiens were not paying for something else, and not tea money.

Non Immigrant means you are working in Thailand, so why did you get a Non Immigrant B if you are not working in Thailand, MINDLESS CHATTER REMOVED :)

Actually "a Non-Immigrant Type-B visa DOESN'T automatically mean you're working here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

Simply holding a Non-B doesn’t mean anything other than you’re looking into possible business endeavors. This category of visa is routinely handed out at the various and sundry thai embassies scattered around the globe; as well as being offered by MANY of the sponsors of the T/V forum which facilitate visas for foreigners.

Perhaps a little more research into the current visa rules and regs is in order for you, then again maybe not. :D

You're clearly far more a visa expert than I could ever hope to be... :D

Why people always complain when others are doing their jobs I do not know, and how does the OP know that the Italiens were not paying for something else, and not tea money.

what do u suggest they were paying for? pre-paying for an over stay? The only charge that comes to mind is thb10 charge if entering outside 'normal' working hours

the immigration guy was just doing his job.maybe did n't like the look of the guy etc. etc.you'd get a far worse grilling going through australian immigration and that's only if you are an aussie anyway.Went through dan nok recently with no problem,told me to take a seat,fillout the form,then told me to bugger off and go and enjoy myself in any numerous karoake bars that are in the town.

what do u suggest they were paying for? pre-paying for an over stay? The only charge that comes to mind is thb10 charge if entering outside 'normal' working hours

How about paying for a tourist visa?

Non Immigrant means you are working in Thailand, so why did you get a Non Immigrant B if you are not working in Thailand, MINDLESS CHATTER REMOVED :)

Actually "a Non-Immigrant Type-B visa DOESN'T automatically mean you're working here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

Simply holding a Non-B doesn’t mean anything other than you’re looking into possible business endeavors. This category of visa is routinely handed out at the various and sundry thai embassies scattered around the globe; as well as being offered by MANY of the sponsors of the T/V forum which facilitate visas for foreigners.

Perhaps a little more research into the current visa rules and regs is in order for you, then again maybe not. :D

Well Tod,

the Op says he works for his English company, so why bother with a non immigrant B type visa? Why not get a tourist visa, also tourist visas will be free after 01 April. Also the OP states he has been doing this for 10 years, so maybe not looking for a job, unless of course he had previously used different Visa Types.

I believe Non O's are handed out willy nilly at Embassies (visiting friends), not Non B's.

Sponsers here get most of their clients Non Imm ED, for studying, although some get O's for Retirement, but not many with B type visas. But maybe you are an expert and I just do not read posts fully.

You cannot get a tourist visa at a border post. A tourist visa you get at an embassy or a consulate, not at immigration.

The only thing they could ask money for is a visa on arrival, but this would not apply to Italians as they do not need one.

you dont even know me..... so dont insinuate that i am doing anything illegal... we spend a fortune on being totally legal here....

you cannot place totally incorrect statements... without knowing the facts

1, i am retired here.... but under 55, and i am in and out to HK and Sg alot

2, i only drive when i need to go somewhere.... not every day... ie hiring a car...

3, the non immi b.... means you can represent your foreign company, but not work for a thai company

4, please get all the facts, and correctly before you judge,

this post was to warn people.... not create a game of one upmanship

Edited by nickthebrit

i said i worked for my english company, because when dealing with Hull... you need a letterhead to get a visa..

a non-immi b gives me 15 months.. at a time.... and far less hassle than going to hellholes like Penang and KL, etc...

for years we have never had any questions with Hull... turn around by UK post within 72 hours...

the other post about aus is funny and true...

even the aussies are hounding tele/web workers... which i fall into that gap....

hence gettting the B visa...

even my friends here, over 55, use Hull instead of the retired visa..... phuket immi... is hel_l and rules they make up every day...

remember as brits we can legally have 2 passports... so we can post one back to UK, whilst still here....

Simply holding a Non-B doesn't mean anything other than you're looking into possible business endeavors. This category of visa is routinely handed out at the various and sundry thai embassies scattered around the globe; as well as being offered by MANY of the sponsors of the T/V forum which facilitate visas for foreigners.

Well Tod,

the Op says he works for his English company, so why bother with a non immigrant B type visa? Why not get a tourist visa, also tourist visas will be free after 01 April. Also the OP states he has been doing this for 10 years, so maybe not looking for a job, unless of course he had previously used different Visa Types.

I believe Non O's are handed out willy nilly at Embassies (visiting friends), not Non B's.

Sponsers here get most of their clients Non Imm ED, for studying, although some get O's for Retirement, but not many with B type visas. But maybe you are an expert and I just do not read posts fully.

thanks alot mate...

after ten years here.... i know the tricks when being played.... i place a post to warn people... then get scarky comments!!!

in fairness to the poster,he was only pointing out his experiences so others could be wary.Often going through thai immigration is a breeze but ever so often you can come up against a person having a bad day or maybe they've been told to be a bit more thorough.

the italians were being shaken down, because,

1, the officer was saying you need to leave for 24 hours, and they had made mistakes on the immi form....

the italians, were panicking, because they spoke 10% english... and had their mini bus waiting....

the perfect sting

You cannot get a tourist visa at a border post. A tourist visa you get at an embassy or a consulate, not at immigration.

The only thing they could ask money for is a visa on arrival, but this would not apply to Italians as they do not need one.

must admit the op left me confused, does a non b really allow you to represent a foreign company. if representing them here surely means working. its not illegal to work in Thailand with a non b. been here 10 years and no Thai driving licence!!!!!! have an accident and see how far your UK licence gets you.

i have been going to Danok for 9 years never had a problem, great place to stay overnight, i dont see anything wrong with what the immigration officer did.

dont drive everyday so dont need a driving licence, so you can be here for 10 years only drive now and again and you dont need a licence. your driving insuranced, with out a licence. stay off the roads or get a licience. i to only drive when i need to go some where, is there another way of driving.

Edited by NALAK

check the rules of non immi b

it allows you to represent a foreign company..... but not a work for a thai company

think of trade shows.... conferences, etc....

i told you i dont drive here... only 1 or 2 a year.... its too dangerous

if you think.... that immigrations officers shaking down tourists for money is OK, then maybe you agree with corruption.... and the long term damage it causes...

must admit the op left me confused, does a non b really allow you to represent a foreign company. if representing them here surely means working. its not illegal to work in Thailand with a non b. been here 10 years and no Thai driving licence!!!!!! have an accident and see how far your UK licence gets you.

i have been going to Danok for 9 years never had a problem, great place to stay overnight, i dont see anything wrong with what the immigration officer did.

i said i worked for my english company, because when dealing with Hull... you need a letterhead to get a visa..

a non-immi b gives me 15 months.. at a time.... and far less hassle than going to hellholes like Penang and KL, etc...

for years we have never had any questions with Hull... turn around by UK post within 72 hours...

the other post about aus is funny and true...

even the aussies are hounding tele/web workers... which i fall into that gap....

hence gettting the B visa...

even my friends here, over 55, use Hull instead of the retired visa..... phuket immi... is hel_l and rules they make up every day...

remember as brits we can legally have 2 passports... so we can post one back to UK, whilst still here....

Simply holding a Non-B doesn't mean anything other than you're looking into possible business endeavors. This category of visa is routinely handed out at the various and sundry thai embassies scattered around the globe; as well as being offered by MANY of the sponsors of the T/V forum which facilitate visas for foreigners.

Well Tod,

reference 2 passports if your going to sg and hk and bkk you are not legally intitled to 2 passports

The Passport Office permits two passports to be held at the same time if there is reason to do so.

This circumvents difficulties caused by territories objecting to visas or immigration stamps from somewhere that they are in conflict with. Historically this has included Israel in conflict with Arab states, the USA in conflict with various Middle East states, North and South Korea, and Greek Cyprus and Turkish North Cyprus.

It is also useful for frequent business travellers to have more than one passport so they can still travel while one passport is away getting a visa or something similar.

When applying for a second passport it is necessary to give a reason why an old passport is not being enclosed for cancellation; a letter is necessary typically either saying that it is needed for travelling between politically opposed countries, or from an employer stating that employment requires frequent travel which can be a problem if a passport is away for a visa[10].

When leaving a country which stamps passports on entry, it is usually necessary to present the same passport on exit as was used for entry.

check the rules of non immi b

it allows you to represent a foreign company..... but not a work for a thai company

think of trade shows.... conferences, etc....

i told you i dont drive here... only 1 or 2 a year.... its too dangerous

if you think.... that immigrations officers shaking down tourists for money is OK, then maybe you agree with corruption.... and the long term damage it causes...

Check the labor rules as well.

No labor whatsoever is allowed without holding a work permit (with the obvious exceptions such as diplomats etc)

The above functions you mention will require the temporary work permit, which is valid for 14 days (I think).

Guest speakers, even people like Tom Jones doing a concert, all fall under that temporary work permit.

Even if it is a foreign company you represent, it mostly is either the organizers of the fair/event which will arrange the temporary work permit.

It's true that a fair bit of negotiations with Thai companies are being done at the golf course without all involved foreigners holding the proper WP's, but it doesn't make it legal!

If you look at the rules of the non immigrant B visa, it says clearly

Holder of this type of visa wishing to work in Thailand must be granted a work permit before starting work.

For a quick list of what exactly the temporary work permit is needed:

(ก) งานบริหารงานและวิชาการ (ADMINISTRATIVE AND ACADEMIC WORKS)

 งานประชุม หารือ สัมมนา หรือเยี่ยมชมธุรกิจ (MEETING, DISCUSSION, SEMINAR OR BUSINESS VISIT)

 งานตรวจสอบภายในเป็นครั้งคราว (INTERNAL AUDIT IN A CASE OF NECESSITY)

 งานบรรยายพิเศษ และวิชาการ (SPECIAL LECTURE AND ACADEMIC)

 งานอำนวยการบิน (AVIATION MANAGEMENT)

(ข) งานด้านเทคนิค (TECHNICAL WORKS)

 งานช่างตรวจสอบติดตามผลและแก้ไขปัญหาด้านเทคนิค (MECHANICAL WORK FOR TECHNICAL CHECKING AND FIXING)

 งานประชุมเกี่ยวกับการติดตั้งเครื่องจักรและด้านเทคนิค (MEETING ON MACHINE INSTALLATION AND TECHNICAL WORKS)

 วิศวกรเครื่องบิน งานช่างเครื่องบิน (AIRCRAFT ENGINEERING AND MECHANIC)

 งานช่างซ่อมหรือติดตั้งเครื่องจักรกล (MACHINE REPAIRING/INSTALLATION)

 งานช่างเทคนิคด้านปิโตรเลียม (PETROLEUM TECHNICIAN)

 งานสาธิตและทดสอบเครื่องมือกล (MECHANIC DEMONSTRATION AND TESTING)

 งานอบรมและสัมมนาทางด้านเทคนิค (TECHNICAL TRAINING AND SEMINAR)

 งานถ่ายทำภาพยนต์และภาพนิ่ง (MOVIE MAKING AND SLIDE PHOTOGRAPHER)

(ค) งานจัดหางานต่างประเทศ (OVERSEAS EMPLOYMENT SERVICES)

 งานคัดเลือกคนงาน (WORKERS RECRUITMENT)

 งานทดสอบฝีมือช่าง (SKILL TESTING)

(ง) งานให้บริการทางกฎหมายหรืองานอรรถคดี (LEGAL SERVICE OR LEGAL CASES)

 งานปฏิบัติหน้าที่อนุญาโตตุลาการ (ARBITRATOR)

 งานว่าต่างแก้ต่างในชั้นอนุญาโตตุลาการ ถ้ากฎหมายซึ่งบังคับใช้แก่ข้อพิพาทที่พิจารณาโดยอนุญาโตตุลาการนั้นมิใช่กฎหมายไทย หรือเป็นกรณีไม่ต้องขอบังคับคำชี้ขาดของอนุญาโตตุลาการนั้นในราชอาณาจักรไทย

(CONDUCTING LAW SUITS IN ARBITRATION COURT IN THE CASE THE LAW WHICH ENFORCES AGAINST THAT DISPUTE IS NOT THAI OR IN THE CASE THAT DISPUTE NEEDS NO JUDGEMENT OF ARBITRATOR IN THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND)

(จ) งานเบ็ดเตล็ด (MISCELLANEOUS WORKS)

 งานจัดซื้อสินค้า (MERCHANDISE PROCUREMENT)

 งานประสานงานการท่องเที่ยว (TOURIST COORDINATOR)

 งานสาธารณกุศลที่ไม่มีวัตถุประสงค์ทางการค้า หรือแสวงหากำไรทางเศรษฐกิจ (CHARITY WORK WITHOUT COMMERCIAL OBJECTIVE OR BENEFIT)

(ฉ) งานอื่นที่อธิบดีหรือเจ้าพนักงานซึ่งอธิบดีมอบหมายเห็นสมควร (OTHERS WORKS UNDER THE CONSIDERATION OF DIRECTOR-GENERAL/ OR OFFICIAL ENTRUSTED BY THE DIRECTOR-GENERAL)

Source (Depertment of employment wbsite): http://115.31.137.7/workpermit/types/wp11.doc

sorry

i am only 40 anyway...

so i have 10 more years to NOT get the O visa!!

1, i am retired here.... but under 55, and i am in and out to HK and Sg alot

Retirement extension of stay or visa for Thailand is available at age 50 (not 55).

I'm under 50 and have the Non-Immigrant-O visa - I hope you meant the O-A visa aka Retirement Visa :)

reference 2 passports if your going to sg and hk and bkk you are not legally intitled to 2 passports

The Passport Office permits two passports to be held at the same time if there is reason to do so.

This circumvents difficulties caused by territories objecting to visas or immigration stamps from somewhere that they are in conflict with. Historically this has included Israel in conflict with Arab states, the USA in conflict with various Middle East states, North and South Korea, and Greek Cyprus and Turkish North Cyprus.

It is also useful for frequent business travellers to have more than one passport so they can still travel while one passport is away getting a visa or something similar.

When applying for a second passport it is necessary to give a reason why an old passport is not being enclosed for cancellation; a letter is necessary typically either saying that it is needed for travelling between politically opposed countries, or from an employer stating that employment requires frequent travel which can be a problem if a passport is away for a visa[10].

When leaving a country which stamps passports on entry, it is usually necessary to present the same passport on exit as was used for entry.

Who says he is not legally entitled to two passports ?......In the UK everyone is legally entitled to two, (or more) British passports, the trick is convincing the passport office you need more than one,and generally a letter from your company is more than enough to justify getting a second passport.

Think you are getting the term "legally" permissiable confused with justifying to the passport office you need a second P/P

If the OP has justified getting two P/P and they have give it to him...he is legal, irrespective of where he travels to... :)

not possible to purchase a TV at the boarder. Only possible to pay for a TV at an Emassy or consulate.

At the border the 2 week visa is free

I agree, a trawl through TV reveals many posts where people are whinging about the poor service, people not doing their jobs, not know how to do their jobs etc etc and when finally somebody actually does their job properly....what do we get....more Whinging...just no pleasing some people... :)

I agree, a trawl through TV reveals many posts where people are whinging about the poor service, people not doing their jobs, not know how to do their jobs etc etc and when finally somebody actually does their job properly....what do we get....more Whinging...just no pleasing some people... :)

Just curious, cos like the OP, you haven't suggested what the Italians might be paying for. The OP actually thought that they might have been paying for a TV at the boarder. So, on entering Thailand, what do u think the Italians were paying for?