I Think Monsoon Season Just Arrived In Kata.

ScubaBuddha

Further up the coast, same story. We had some rain in Khao Lak yesterday, and a very heavy downpour day before yesterday, the first serious rain since about January 15. Looks like the rainy season is planning to set in early, it has been cloudy here for a while.

By the way steelepulse, doesn't the rain always come from the East? It certainly does here.

At least at my house on the hill, the winds that came with the rain were as strong as I have ever seen here.

BTW guys, I wasn't being literal.

Fon Tok nit noi in Patong, lasted about as long as it takes me to have carnal knowledge these days. :D:)

45 seconds isn't much rain at all. :D

doesn''t the rain always come from the East?

I hate when I start researching topic and find all kinds of cool stuff.

As Jonathan said, around this time of year in Phuket and surrounding areas the winds change direction from a northeasterly wind (blowing southwest) during which we get less rain, to a southwesterly wind (blowing northeast) and brings a lot of rain with it from the Indian Ocean and Andaman Sea. This lasts till October/November. There are of course exceptions when the wind will blow opposite this for short periods of time, or there is no wind at all. This is all due to

10m.jpg

There is no such thing as the Monsoon season.

I think your point is that the term is redundant? I just checked...the word "monsoon" is derived from the Arabic word mausim meaning "season". lol Still. the term "Monsoon season" is widely used and I would think considered to be correct.

From weather expert Rachelle Oblack at about.com. I found that second bit about causes of monsoons kind of interesting.

Question: What Is a Monsoon?

Monsoon season is a welcome relief to drought conditions in many areas of the world. Monsoons can also bring about widespread famine and enough rain to kill hundreds of people in floods. While the Asia and India monsoons are famous, there are even monsoon season in the United States. So, what is a monsoon?

Answer: Monsoons, or rainy seasons, are a shift in wind direction which causes excessive rainfall in many parts of the world including Asia, North America, South America, and Africa. The primary mechanism behind a monsoon is a shift in global wind patterns.

New Theories on the Causes of Monsoons

Theories of the development of monsoons have stood firm for over 300 years. Classical thinking on monsoons is that their development is sparked by the differential heating of land and ocean as described above. But in a recent NASA Earth Observatory release, those ideas may be changing. Geoscientists at the California Institute of Technology have been working on new ideas as to exactly why monsoons develop.

Two researchers, Schneider and Simona Bordoni of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Colorado, used computer models to re-create an Earth with no landmasses. Surprisingly, they found that differential heating was not a necessary component to creating monsoons. Instead, they concluded monsoons arise because of an interaction between tropical air circulation and large-scale turbulence in the middle latitudes. The large middle latitude disturbances modify circulation in tropical regions causing rapid circulation changes which can bring on the characteristic high surface winds and heavy rainfall of the monsoon.

I know I am guilty of these pedantic musings (Thaivisa is not my personal blog, Thaivisa is not my personal blog...) But I have an excuse this time as I am sitting in the waiting room at Toyota. :D

Tonights electrical storm: Lighting so close it kicks the main breaker in my house at 0:22.

Sound travels at about 343 meters/1100 feet per second, and that thunder was almost exactly 1 second behind the flash. Pretty close. I felt like I was in a war zone for 20 minutes.

Edited by Crossy

We were at Big Buddha (I said, don't worry, won't rain here) watched the rain approach, it really did look like a wall of water. At one stage Phuket Town was practically blocked from our view, yet Kata/Karon still had sunshine until the rain spread.

I'd recommend BB as a place to hear thunder! There were some frightened people, some seemed very close.

Same again tonight?

I think Chao Fah West must've been flooded tonight at the ToT bend - I passed the Kwang road traffic lights heading south and came to a stop. Nothing was moving. So I did a U-turn and went along Kwang Road and down Chao Fah East to Hayek Chalong with no problems, apart from a bit of flooding at the circle -

• 5 weeks later...
I do believe that the rainy season has at long last started here in Kata, and I thank the gods for that. It's been a long long hot 5 months, but now the rain is really pouring down. Thank you.

yeah, lovely. no Ninja ride tonight, and no need to water garden or ad water to pool

Sorry guys the green season [as the spin doctors now declare it, no longer a wet season] is not here yet.

Wind and rain in the wrong direction, just tropical showers.

Nothing from the west yet.

We've already had a few days with wind from the West. So it is changing direction, and the definate change can come any moment now.

I do believe that the rainy season has at long last started here in Kata, and I thank the gods for that. It's been a long long hot 5 months, but now the rain is really pouring down. Thank you.

:D same as the first guy said near 1 month back, rain se4aso started.!whats up fellas have nt you been here two long or what a local thundery storm doesnt make for monsson you no?

ill bet big buckeroos you guys will be cryin bout to much rain and floods on sois allover befoe to long :)

same as me i figure..lol no-one is ever happy wetherwise