My Tourist Visa Was Voided In Phenom Phen!

I've been in Thailand almost two years. I'm a 35 year old disabled American. I do not work and my income from America is more than adequate.

When I first came I used tourist visas then I purchased a type 'O' from a Visa service. I used that up. Then I left Thailand for one month and stayed in Panama. I came back expecting 30 days but my type 'O' gave me three more months (I thought you could only do 4 entries but this extra entry gave me 15 months). However I didn't stay that long and after a couple of weeks I went to the Philippines and came back after a week. I was given 30 days at the airport.

I next went to Cambodia. In Phenom Phen I applied for a tourist Visa. They took my passport for processing. When I returned to pick up the passport they said that the boss wanted to talk to me but he wasn't there at the moment so I had to wait. Half an hour later a guard returned my passport to me saying they could not grant the visa and that he didn't know why. Whithin my passport was the tourist visa but stamped all over it in big red letters was the word VOID :o . Naturally this caused some concern.

When I returned to Bangkok the girl at passport control hardly gave notice to the voided tourist visa when she gave me my thirty days.

Unfortunately before I left for Cambodia I'd paid a year in advance rent for my Condo in Pattaya. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to get any visa again now that I've got this voided tourist visa in my passport. If I can't can I still get the 30 days via border visa runs 11 more times?

I'd love to stay in Thailand especially since I've paid rent and purchased furniture.

When I first came I used tourist visas then I purchased a type 'O' from a Visa service.
This visa or the entry stamp from the Visa service must have shown up as dodgy.
Whithin my passport was the tourist visa but stamped all over it in big red letters was the word VOID

You almost had your tourist visa but the last officer to approve it must have voided it out. Even though you have left and entered Thailand on a 30 day stamp since the NON IM O, an officer noticed something wrong.

Your current passport is forever tainted, wash it or lose it.

I have to agree...off to the Embassy for a new passport to replace the damaged old one. That void stamp is a warning signal as long as you carry it around.

Yes, dr._patpong -- but there is some reason to believe that at least some such incidents make their way rather quickly into the Immigration Bureau's intranet computer system rather quickly, which voids the benefit of a new passport, if stuff I've heard is true (which I have no way of judging).

My two cents worth on all the topics. I recently had to make a quick run as I am between work permits and through circumstance have to stay here. As I have relatives down by the border with PoiPet it was easy for me to stay there, get up early and go to immigration. Once through, paid a small overstay fine, went to Poi Pet. Got the Imm. official Poi Pet side to take care of everything for ten bucks ten minutes later I was back in Thailand.

My record is however squeaky clean I have had 14 years worth of work permits with different companies - still on coming in the Imm. Officer took a real good look at every one of my visas.

They are, quite rightly, looking for FAKE visa stamps. Fact is if you entered any 'western" country with a fake visa and got caught - the odds are that you would also end up in a prison.

Like the others I suggest you "clean" up your situation by getting a new passport - should you encoutner difficulties with an official with a linked computer in future then I would come clean and give a good reason why you used the service. In this case if you are financially independant and can prove it then I believe you will be allowed to live here.

I am not sure a 'VOID' stamp is bad. I have several of them on visas that has been replaced. When I changed employer, the BOI visa center stamped my old visa with 'VOID' and then stamped in a new one in my passport.

Having a visa cancelled or revoked is a different story, but voided visas shouldn't necessarily mean you're in trouble AFAIK.

ka1234 -- you're quite right that a "VOID" stamp isn't necessarily a bad thing; the instnaces you give are excellent examples of that. But in a case such as the individual who had a fake visa and got his or her visa voided down in Cambodia, it's a bad thing for the passport holder. Perhaps a *deserved* bad thing, but that's a whole other argument. :o

As the holder of a U.S. passport, I obtained a 60-day visa at the Thai consular office in Vientiane just over 3 months ago. Americans are entitled, when holding such a visa, to obtain 3 more extensions (the first 2 for 1900 baht each, the third for free) of 30 days, 15 days, and 7 days, making a total of 112 days (at an overall cost at Immigration of 5700 baht).

But I learned something of great interest Monday when I went to Immigration to apply for my second extension, i.e., the 15-day one. A police friend had told me to ask for 22 days -- the second and third extensions combined -- but to understand I would have to return after 15 days for an additional stamp. Unsure how to write this on the form, I asked the officer, "Since I've already used my 30-day visa but my police friend told me to apply for both remaining extensions at once, how do I do that?" He asked me what kind of visa I hold, and I told him. He then asked why I didn't apply for a 30-day extension, so I told him I had already used that extension, but was inquiring about combining the last two extension applications into one, with the proviso I would have to return after 15 days. He then asked my age, which is 52. When I told him, he smiled -- the guy was really nice, and spoke excellent English -- and said but Americans who've reached their fiftieth birthday can ask for TWO consecutive 30-day extensions, but then that's it, they have to leave." Getting the extension involved my going up to Room 206 for the actual extension to be stamped, but that took just a couple of minutes.

I know it's not a GREAT difference, but it was nice to get 8 extra days in a single trip (incidentally lowering the cost-per-day of the extension) instead of 22 days in two trips. And with all the gloomy developments of late regarding visas, I figured ANY good news is INDEED good news, so wanted to post the information here.

I assume this applies to other nationalities whose visas are the same as those for U.S. citizens. I hope this information is useful for everyone to whom it applies.

very good new to hear :D, im also holding US PP maybe i should ask the imigration folks the next time i visit there, one thing tho im not 50, maybe half that age, you think they would give me a dirty look. B)

No Tomy....no dirty looks whatsoever. They will not however, take a lot of notice of you. :o

I'm sorry but there isn't much advice that I can give your exept to commiserate with you: I've just come back from Phnom Penh after being refused a tourist visa. As with you, I returned on a 30-day visa on entry. You can read all about my experience on this forum under the heading 'Failed Visa Trip'.