Non Thailand Related Posts

Lancelot

'

Admin & the moderators seem to be bending over backwards to let this thread run especially as Forum Rule No. 21 states...

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

I did send two pms to the mod but either he never received them or chose not to reply.

Any way, I get it now, only Thai stuff in general forum. I wasn't sure where to post it, so I tried the general forum. I often see mods move threads to the correct forum. Anyway live and learn :)

I did send two pms to the mod but either he never received them or chose not to reply.

Any way, I get it now, only Thai stuff in general forum. I wasn't sure where to post it, so I tried the general forum. I often see mods move threads to the correct forum. Anyway live and learn :D

I did receive them, however, since you had allready taken matters into your own hands and "asked for general clarafication on forum direction" with this topic, there has been no need to reply. :D

Please remember that while some mods may be machines (mod-bots), many of us are either in different time zones, or keep long hours that prevent us from getting of bed bright & early to deal with the first of the morning! :)

Any way, I get it now, only Thai stuff in general forum. I wasn't sure where to post it, so I tried the general forum. I often see mods move threads to the correct forum. Anyway live and learn :D

I did receive them, however, since you had allready taken matters into your own hands and "asked for general clarafication on forum direction" with this topic, there has been no need to reply. :D

Please remember that while some mods may be machines (mod-bots), many of us are either in different time zones, or keep long hours that prevent us from getting of bed bright & early to deal with the first of the morning! :)

Pattaya a different time zone to BKK S-Man? You should really change the whiskey you drink mate. :D

I think its a good policy. Otherwise, it turns into everythingincludingthekitchensink.com. Thailand and stuff that relates to it is a huge area already, and this board pretty much owns that territority. It would be stupid of them to devalue their hard earned brand by deviating from that. I reckon it is a commercial decision, but I think in this case it is a commercial decision that actually brings more value to members. If you want to whine about British politics for example, there are plenty of other places to go to.

Edited by Jingthing

If there is no forum rule stating that a thread must be Thailand related then why not let threads run ?

Take a look here and you will see what defines each forum/subforum. Nearly all have Thailand as one of the criteria. Also the root of all the forums is titled "Thailand Forum" Thailand Forum. Having it hard coded in the forum rules would eliminate any flexibility that we do allow and don't think that is what members would want.

... everyone is interested that Ricky Martin is gay.

:) I don't think so. It would be as much a waste of bandwidth as farming in the USA of yesteryear would be, and eventually George would be rivaling Google on server space. There is also the small matter of keeping things related for the sake of the site and rankings, not to mention forum sponsors. In general, though, if something (albeit non-Thai related) is of interest to members, such as Yanky football or pensions in the UK, as opposed to something that would affect/be of interest to less than 0.001% of people...

I'm sure you could have put a spin on the original thread to compare it to current rural areas of Thailand or the different paths taken to prosper.

But I am actually surprised this thread is still open as it is a no-no to question what a moderator does publicly.

One post deleted by discussing a specific decision by a moderator. Use the PM function is you wish to address individual topic actions by a moderator. Further such comments will be removed and force the closure of this topic.

Manchester City - thread opened 2006-07-26 - replies 3,665 - views 70,837

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Manchester-City-t76968.html

:)

Wasn't "Maew-chester City" owned by Thailand's illustrious, deposed Prime Minister at that time? So what's your point? :D

Thaksin bought them in 2007 for £81.6 million. He sold the club in 2008 to Abu Dhabi investors for like £200 million. I don't follow the sport but was reading up on Thaksin the other day and learned this.

Thanks for this post. Emails & posts as well as a moderator's actions can easily be read into wrong since we are not seeing or hearing the writer. I speak from personal experience at becoming angry w/a mod or ThaiVisa over their posting policies only to find out there was nothing personal or controlling about it.

Look at what many of us have said on these threads and get away with ... i think often their time is limited beyond just a simple delete. Also important to remember that like police .. they are individuals and although represent the good of society (this case the forum as a whole), they do have different personalities and some may be more lenient than others and so on.

I actually hope this thread or a similar one stays open to allow people "in general" to discuss issues here and have moderators/Admin's be able to respond and better explain why things are the way they are and remind us they are people like us posters. This may not be the best thread since it did start out as relating to a specific issue. I'm also aware that much of the issues could be answered by simply reading more about the rules and other info already here but lets face it ... who really does that until after they have done something wrong. Actually I'll be surprised to find there probably already is an area like this but I just haven't looked :-)

Edited by johndpoole

'

Admin & the moderators seem to be bending over backwards to let this thread run especially as Forum Rule No. 21 states...

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

Probably this rule needs to be reworded since technically you (we) are in violation of this rule by alerting us to this specific policy. I am guessing that was not the intent of this rule but instead was more to keep harmony and keep people on topic.

One thing we do have to remember is ThaiVisa is a business and not a democracy where we all get a say. Because of the free flow of information going on here, it is often easy to forget this. We don't run the show, they do (as should be).

Edited by johndpoole

I think its a good policy. Otherwise, it turns into everythingincludingthekitchensink.com. Thailand and stuff that relates to it is a huge area already, and this board pretty much owns that territority. It would be stupid of them to devalue their hard earned brand by deviating from that. I reckon it is a commercial decision, but I think in this case it is a commercial decision that actually brings more value to members. If you want to whine about British politics for example, there are plenty of other places to go to.

:) correct. It's not called 'worldvisa.com' is it? (now there's an enterprising idea... :D )

( BTW, is this thread a non-thailand related thread? :D )

In the last couple of weeks I was a 'victim' to one of the moderators giving me stick about a post on the UK economy. I was told it was exclusively a UK topic and find another forum. I did reply saying that to me it was relevant about UK expats and the Baht exchange rate and our living standards here in Thailand; however I was given no latitude.

I responded and accepted the moderators views but have stated that there are double standards eg Thais love the English Premier League and discussing it could relate to our interaction with Thais. However, I asked about how they are moderating things like English Lower League Football, Rugby Union and cricket - what connection do they have to Thais? I realise there is a very small interest in Rugby Union and cricket, mainly by expats but Lower League Football? - Thais think that there is only the Premier League - a bit like the Flat Earth Society. I didn't get a reply - Funny old thing!

By allowing discussions on these examples and probably others, that I can't think of at the moment, then they are giving the impression that it is alright to post about topics that appear not to be about Thailand.

It appears that Judge Dredd is alive and well!

It's actually quite liberally applied anyway. For example, in Farang Pub you can talk about any entertainment topics in the world of interest to expats in Thailand. There is a current topic about alternative country destinations for expats in Thailand. That is loosely related because many expats are always looking for greener pastures. On the other hand if you start a topic in general about who should be the president of Argentina, that is going away. I don't think there is a lot to complain about, really.

Edited by Jingthing

The General forum is for Thailand related topics.

Farang pub is for fun, gay for gay people, football for football people, ladies for women, sports for non-football related sports, plants and pets for people who have gardening and pet related questions etc etc etc.

We need a psycho forum, for all the psychos here.....my guess is it would be really busy. (Perhaps thats what bedlam is about) :)

The General forum is for Thailand related topics.

Farang pub is for fun, gay for gay people, football for football people, ladies for women, sports for non-football related sports, plants and pets for people who have gardening and pet related questions etc etc etc.

We need a psycho forum, for all the psychos here.....my guess is it would be really busy. (Perhaps thats what bedlam is about) :)

BINGO

I'm sure you could have put a spin on the original thread to compare it to current rural areas of Thailand or the different paths taken to prosper.

But I am actually surprised this thread is still open as it is a no-no to question what a moderator does publicly.

I was just suprised that the thread was abruptly shut down. I've noticed other threads that the Mods have moved to the correct forum and again I was suprised that the Mod did not give me the benefit of doubt and move the thread and ask me not to do it again :)

I did PM the Mod before I posted this thread and the Mod replied publicly, stating differences in time zones and a ference to "Mod bots." I'm not sure what a "Mod Bot" is. Maybe its a Mod that will correct a post or maybe it means "I didn't sign up for this-closed!" :D Any way, maybe the Mod took offense to my thread or a previous thread, was pissed off about something else or I was the 100th poster to make the "Non Thailand Related" fatal error. Personaly, I thought the Mod was a bit heavy handed, but I've never been a mod, so OK, maybe it goes with the territory. I think the Mods are volunteers, so its not like they are getting paid to ban posters or close threads :D Maybe the Mod and I got off on the wrong foot; written communications lack the added insigts of body language, voice tone, etc.

I've been a poster since 2003 and have only had an issue with one Mod when I named a Pattay restaurant that (I felt) treated me rudely. The Mod was polite and sent me a PM explaining the rules (No naming and shaming), which I accepted and thanked him for taking the time to educate me.

Starting this thread was in the vein of telling a restaurant manager that you were unhappy with your meal. The Mod told me that "after I took matters into my own hands" he felt a reply to my PM was unecessary. So, that tells me that some of the TV Mods don't appreciate feed back or disagreement in any form.

Any way, I do have a better understanding of the rules now. I think I just need to chill out and like the Eagles song "Get Over it."

PS-Some of the replies to this thread were a hoot :D