Why Isn't Hemp Grown In Thailand?

With this year's drought, and more droughts likely in coming years - particularly when China puts four new large dams in service on the Mekong's watershed, Thai (and farang) farmers should be looking for non water-guzzling crops (alternatives to rice). Hemp grows on marginal soils and doesn't need much water. Its many uses are known and/or easily researched. Yet, below is an excerpt of a mention regarding hemp's nutritional advantages. It's taken from an article at TulsaWorld.com

Dear Pharmacist, You posted a recipe on Facebook recently, and it contains "hemp seeds." Isn't that related to pot, and isn't it illegal? — G.K., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Your question is good, but it does crack me up. Any grocery store in the country can carry this because there is nothing illegal about hemp seeds! Hemp does come from the same plant as marijuana. However, hemp seeds are actually so good for your health that I suggest daily consumption! These little seeds are composed mainly of a non-psychoactive compound called "cannabidiol." This has been shown to block the effects of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the ingredient in marijuana that induces the "high."

These tiny seeds contain essential minerals such as phosphorus and magnesium which strengthens our bones. They also have an abundance of vitamin E, which protects our body tissues from damage. They can improve immune function, raise energy and relieve dry hair and skin. Hemp may even reduce the symptoms of PMS.

Hemp seeds contain both omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids. They have been connected to attaining healthy cholesterol levels, protecting against heart disease, and lessening the risk of Alzheimer's disease. Approximately 55 percent of hemp is composed of linoleic acid, which is the major component of flax seeds.

So you want to get more hemp into your diet? Buy hemp seed oil and replace your other oils. Nutiva makes a wonderful line of hemp products that most health food stores carry. Sprinkle the hulled hemp seeds

on everything from salads to yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, sandwiches and even batters for muffins and cakes. Hemp products are even OK for those of you who avoid gluten, animal protein, sugar, soy and dairy.

I've seen this post before and I will give the same answer. Next December go to The Royal Project demonstration at Chiang Mai University Hall or whatever it is called. They have all kinds of hemp. The hill tribes bring big 12 foot plant with tiny flowers, not good to smoke probably. The use it for all kinds of hemp products. They are doing hemp here. In large quantities? I'm not sure.

Also, near the Warrarot Market in Cm there is a side street where the hill tribe people sell the hemp fabric.

So the answer to your question is try the Royal Project.