Finding A New Nanny/maid

kurnell

Any thoughts on selecting a nanny/maid by nationality? We have interviewed and hired Thai, Burmese, Filipino and Cambodian employees with varying success. Some of the Filipino girls have been a bit evasive about their status in Thailand and found it hard to explain how they stay legally in Thailand.

So far we have hired girls from all of the above countries and some have been good, bad, awful. Some have stayed for a month or 2 and then either walked out after their salary has been paid without saying anything, some we have fired for not turning up. Generally all but our long term nanny have been very disappointing.

I now have 2 kids that need full time care so I need a 2nd nanny. Anyone with any thoughts/opinions/advise on the subject?

I do know of a employments center that specializes in nanny's.

Price is a bit higher than avg but they do come certified, trained and background checked.

I believe it cost 10,000-15,000 month depending on your needs.

But again it is a hit and miss as they are not always guarantee to be good.

Let me know if interested.

Price is a bit higher than avg but they do come certified, trained and background checked.

Are you referring to www.nannyandmaid.com?

I used an agency once before. The nanny turned up, met us and my daughter, accepted the job, bought all her gear and moved into the room. She seemed professional, happy. Next morning at 5am she walked to the door, gear in hand and was intercepted by the mother-in-law, who asked her where she was going??? She said to see her friend. The MIL said, "you are going to see your friend with a suitcase???". She said yes and walked out never to return. We asked the agency and they said shit happens and we can get a refund in 2 months. We told them indeed shit does happen and they can give us our money back immediately or we will come and see them with the police. We got our money back straight away. Possibly a one off, but I don't trust Thai agencies.

I used an agency once before. The nanny turned up, met us and my daughter, accepted the job, bought all her gear and moved into the room. She seemed professional, happy. Next morning at 5am she walked to the door, gear in hand and was intercepted by the mother-in-law, who asked her where she was going??? She said to see her friend. The MIL said, "you are going to see your friend with a suitcase???". She said yes and walked out never to return. We asked the agency and they said shit happens and we can get a refund in 2 months. We told them indeed shit does happen and they can give us our money back immediately or we will come and see them with the police. We got our money back straight away. Possibly a one off, but I don't trust Thai agencies.

No not that one but yes it is a thai agency where we suceesfully got about 10 maids.nanny in course of 5 years.

Shortest one stayed 2 days longest was 3 years maybe avg about 8-10 months. So yes it's a hit or miss on long term basis.

I dont blame you if you had poor experience with agency, just posting that we have been using one with good results.

No not that one but yes it is a thai agency where we suceesfully got about 10 maids.nanny in course of 5 years.

Shortest one stayed 2 days longest was 3 years maybe avg about 8-10 months. So yes it's a hit or miss on long term basis.

I dont blame you if you had poor experience with agency, just posting that we have been using one with good results.

Cheers if you can pass on details

I am surprised by all the problems you have, none of the expat managers at work have any problems. But I work for a company that sends all expat staff to training about the countrys culture and tradition before they are allowed to go. Are you sure that the problem originates with the Asian maids?

I am surprised by all the problems you have, none of the expat managers at work have any problems. But I work for a company that sends all expat staff to training about the countrys culture and tradition before they are allowed to go. Are you sure that the problem originates with the Asian maids?

I have been in Thailand for 17 years so I am fairly familiar with Thai culture.

I suspect that the problem does originate with Thai maids when they a) Walk out at the crack of dawn, never to return after accepting a job and moving in. :) Walk out leaving my kids unattended. c) Pay more attention to the needs of their boyfriend rather than their employer.

One idiotic maid quit saying that she wanted to spend time with her boyfriend then rang up 2 weeks later complaining that she didn't have any money and did we have any suggestions. Get a farking job, didn't seem to go down too well.

• 1 month later...

Cheers if you can pass on details

Hi, I'm the english co-owner of a nanny agency - established since 1991. Few of the agencies are geared up for servicing the farang market which is why so many of them fall short of expectations. Their girls too often have no experience of working with farang either.......a typical non-sensical Thailand situation. Please feel free to pm me