Gift Ideas For My Nieces (10 And 14)

up-country_sinclair

I'm flying back to the US this weekend, and I need to buy some gifts for my nieces (10 and 14). I don't have the slightest idea where to begin, and was hoping that someone could recommend some gift ideas that are:

• Related to Thailand in some way or form.
  • Small in size
  • Minimal in weight

T-shirts are just not going to cut it unfortunately, because I did that last time...and to be honest, they didn't go over too well. :D

Also I would really appreciate it if you could suggest a shop where I could buy these gifts, because I'll only have a limited time in BKK between my domestic arrival and international departure, and the proposed Red Shirt rally will make moving about the city even more difficult.

Thanks for helping me to be a good uncle. :)

Just buy them some stickers, very cheap here and you can get big ones small ones, all different designs, cheap and easy to carry.

How about nice gold/silver chain with pendant from MBK. Last time I was there had some really nice thai designs for around 2000 bhat.

fuc_k MBk, they are a buch of miserbale money grabbing douche bags.

Just buy them some stickers, very cheap here and you can get big ones small ones, all different designs, cheap and easy to carry.
How about nice gold/silver chain with pendant from MBK. Last time I was there had some really nice thai designs for around 2000 bhat.

Try the Thai style Bags or the Wooden/Paper Umbrella's (the actual name for them slips my mind right now) - something with an Oriental feel to it and the kind of thing i imagine little girls would like (pwetty things!)

Plus there are always those Thai style silk dresses.

For a more fun gift (aka Toys) i'm not really sure, the only time i go toy shopping is for myself :)

Try the Thai style Bags or the Wooden/Paper Umbrella's (the actual name for them slips my mind right now) - something with an Oriental feel to it and the kind of thing i imagine little girls would like (pwetty things!)

Plus there are always those Thai style silk dresses.

For a more fun gift (aka Toys) i'm not really sure, the only time i go toy shopping is for myself :)

It depends one what you've bought them before, how interested they are in Thailand and what your budget it. Anyways I have a ten year old daughter in US and she loves anything to do with Thailand. The first time I brought her just some random small gifts but what she liked the most was Thai money. I gave her 1 baht, 2 baht, 5 baht, 10 baht, 20 baht, 50 baht and 100 baht to show it to her and this was kind of an after thought. Anyways she seemed the most interested and excited at that and after seeing her show several people I did something similar the next time.

The next time I collected things she'd be familiar with that where in Thai instead of english. Small stuff for example place mat at McDonalds, a bottle of Pepsi, Gatorade and Coke, a few candybars etc. Then in case she totally thought this stuff was junk I grabbed here a T-shirt and a very small (4,000 baht) gold chain. Once again she was interested in all this everday basic stuff from Thailand.

I'm very close to my daughter though having raised her mostly alone her first 5 years and having her half the time till a couple years ago. Now I talk to her on webcam a few times a week and on phone most of the other days, so think that's why she is interested.

Anwyays this is a great thread. i'd actually like to read more suggestions for ideas for future because I go home twice a year. End of June for her July 1 Birthday, and December for Christmas and sure soon will be running out of ideas.

Thanks for the replies.

Right now I'm leaning towards the umbrellas or the tissue and pillow covers.

Hello,

Music for a child goes along way. MP3 players come in various sizes, colors, and prices. You can try MBK, or Pantip. It's the gift that keeps giving, each birthday you can buy a cd loaded with music, and have it loaded onto the player Easy as pie...

:)

• 2 weeks later...