Serious Crackdown On Loud Motorbikes

george

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I love living in Isaan you dont have to put up with wining falang bull shit. Both my bikes are loud and no one complains. The head copper even told me I could ride my CR 250 any where I wanted dirt and road just slow it down when in the villige. What can I say bangkok sux.  :D

Really so where do you live I have a V8 with a full house mouse motor in a

T-Bucket and some megahones I will be sure to come by your house late late late at night and cut a few brodies, now do you think that would bother you :o

If not then you sure have thick skin :D

Maybe you should have just said 'thick' Capt Canada42. Anyone with half a brain and even the village idiot knows that loud noise seriously damages your hearing. Been there done that with military aircraft.

Cars are limited to 85dB and bikes 95dB. 10dB doesn't sound much but the scale is logarithmic, so it is 10 times louder! YES YOU DID READ IT RIGHT TEN TIMES LOUDER every 10 dB.

Try looking at this website all you noisy idiots. www.zyra.org.uk/db.htm

:D:D:D

Loud motorbikes to get the kick 

I hope they will check in Phuket, too. Those noisy things are horrible. A Bike-For-Rent-Shop's owner told me, that he HAS to modify the exhaust system, because the loudest bikes are rent out first... What a logic :o Drunken guys on loud motorbikes after 2 a.m. have just one good point: You can hear them coming and jump aside!

I read the article in the Bangkok Post but what isn't mentioned here on this board is the fact the police don't know how to measure the noise exactly
Pol Lt-Col Sangkhom Tudso, of the Traffic Police Division, conceded that dealing with noise pollution from motorcycles was more complicated than tackling air pollution from cars as the noise-measuring process was quite complex, allowing the motorcyclists to question the test results.

He said most traffic policemen were not keen on using the noise-testing machine, so, in the first stage, the police would not take legal action against motorcyclists if the officers were not confident of the test results.

So what changes will we see?????? Just another excuse for cops to get more money.

While they are at it why not measure the loudness of the security guards' and parking attendants' whistles. I have often had sharp pains in my ear after standing too close to one of those.

Does this apply to alll bikes though?

It should just be for the stupid boys who soup their bikes up but i do hope the police are'nt going to try and fine Harley's etc.

Yes, "Harley's" should make a good starting point. This whole Harley culture is a bag of puerile nonsense ( for the benefit of all Harley owners.....for "puerile" read 'juvenile')...these guys riding their ultra-noisy, mechanically inefficent and outdated machines make me puke. These childish clones in their black T-sirts and their p*ss pot style helmets care for nobody. Last night my 3-year old daughter thought that it was the end of her young world when this jerk revved up his archaic machine only a few feet away from her.

Generally, Harley owners show no consideration to the rest of us. Anyway, why not buy a decent bike?

It should just be for the stupid boys who soup their bikes up but i do hope the police are'nt going to try and fine Harley's etc.

Generally, Harley owners show no consideration to the rest of us. Anyway, why not buy a decent bike?

Ahh your forgeting one thing about the Harley MC most riders are actually living in the country side of Thailand and they double up the use of there bikes as farm machinery for the use of the village. You often see the converted Harley sitting there putting away pumping water to the fields, or towing the old Buffalow cart around to the market, yes sir the Harley tractor motorcyle is a great boon to village life and should be exempt from any form of tax, fines, laws etc. Of course the Bring back Buffalow appreciation club of Issan is trying its best to get them banned as it believes the more economical grass eating variety of Buffalow is the better way to go! :o

Can't wait for the "crackdown" to come to Pattaya.These bleeding Jesters and cohorts with inflated ego's and equally inflated decibel emissions from their Harley's need to be bought down a peg.When they pass by in convoy all conversation has to stop while they unecessarily rev the balls out of their machines.Yes I am a biker and have a 750 cc but unlike these idiots my silencers are within the legal decibel limit.

I love it!!

Get the bike shops to fund the law change!

:D

In a way yes, but just think - if thousands upon thousands of bikers suddenly have to buy extra kit to reduce noise pollution, it will be a real boon to the spare parts shops, so offering discounts to attract the buyers to ones shop is a sensible marketing plan given the huge increase that will occur in sales if you are successful. Nice one - I am really sick of hearing all the noisy bas*ards belting down the sois on their 2-stroke racket-machines... :o

I read the article in the Bangkok Post but what isn't mentioned here on this board is the fact the police don't know how to measure the noise exactly

Pol Lt-Col Sangkhom Tudso, of the Traffic Police Division, conceded that dealing with noise pollution from motorcycles was more complicated than tackling air pollution from cars as the noise-measuring process was quite complex, allowing the motorcyclists to question the test results.

He said most traffic policemen were not keen on using the noise-testing machine, so, in the first stage, the police would not take legal action against motorcyclists if the officers were not confident of the test results.

So what changes will we see?????? Just another excuse for cops to get more money.

While they are at it why not measure the loudness of the security guards' and parking attendants' whistles. I have often had sharp pains in my ear after standing too close to one of those.

I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult to use a hand-held noise measuring device a set distance form the bike at various points around the machine. Properly trained (yes - THATS the hard bit) officers manning various check points should be able to perform the tests in a few minutes each...but I guess I answered my own question on this when I said "properly trained".... :o

So, a 500B fine and "banned" from using their noise farting machines for 30 days....Sounds to me like the normal worse-than-useless Thai way of "solving" problems. The 500 (negotiable) goes into the cops' pockets and on his merry way goes the noise polluter with a warning to get his machine fixed (hahaha).

IMHO, the only effective way to solve any vehicle problem like this is to CONFISCATE THE VEHICLE. To get his precious motorcycle back, the offender will have to pay upfront to the vehicle repair shop to muffle the machine. Then he will get back a reasonably quiet bike, along with a real reason to keep it that way. The bikes that don't get reclaimed could be fixed and sold very cheaply to the underpaid cops who must buy their own motorbikes.

IMHO, the only effective way to solve any vehicle problem like this is to CONFISCATE THE VEHICLE.  To get his precious motorcycle back, the offender will have to pay upfront to the vehicle repair shop to muffle the machine.  Then he will get back a reasonably quiet bike, along with a real reason to keep it that way.  The bikes that don't get reclaimed could be fixed and sold very cheaply to the underpaid cops who must buy their own motorbikes.

Bad idea.

This would only cause the cops to target the Million Baht plus Harley Davidsons... so that they could get them for themselves to ride, or possibly probably re-sell them to the public.

What sweet music to my ears.

I was just as few impatient steps away from taking matters into my own hands regarding these <deleted> on their motorized push bikes. It will be interesting to see how quickly the latest revamp kicks into affect in my area as I supposedly live in a minister catchment area of Bkk. My soi is the gateway to many a huge compound owned by the big guns. On the corner of said soi is a .....yes you guessed it a motorcycle taxi rank with 20 or so morons who with nothing better to do waiting for their turn on the roster thrash up and down the soi to dampen the bordom. If all goes well I can look forward to the disappearence of the rank as all the toads there vamp up there prat machines in an effort to convince god knows who that they are muscle bikes????????

If anyone knows of a link to the local police at Thong Lor I'll give them a heads up where they can start.

As for Harleys, well I would leave them for now and go for the Tuk tuks next myself. One thing about the latter is they are generally in good working order and you don't usually see them thrashing around the streets. My own bike ( no not a harley) is 1200cc and quieter than my vacume cleaner.

But...how about these puke spewing lorries and buses that break sound levels and pollution levels around bkk. I have been caught behind those chumps many a time on the back of a mototaxi and suffered hearing and breathing difficulties in the bargain.

Ah well one thing at a time.

Now that the bigwigs no longer own the taxi ranks I guess they will lose no income from the new collection process.

T.

hmm

It would be better to ba freeflow exhausts on diesel trucks and song kaews.

Much more noise pollution and a ###### of a lot of environmental pollution.

Crackdowns is their a thai word for this???

Seems the word Crackdown appears a lot??

Yes, "Harley's" should make a good starting point. This whole Harley culture is a bag of puerile nonsense ( for the benefit of all Harley owners.....for "puerile" read 'juvenile')...these guys riding their ultra-noisy, mechanically inefficent and outdated machines make me puke. These childish clones in their black T-sirts and their p*ss pot style helmets care for nobody. Last night my 3-year old daughter thought that it was the end of her young world when this jerk revved up his archaic machine only a few feet away from her.

Your opinion and your entitled to it, I don't agree though. :o

Hey how can you deny the ultimate freedom icon of the fat successful and 40 plus??

Your opinion and your entitled to it, I don't agree though. :o

Hey how can you deny the ultimate freedom icon of the fat successful and 40 plus??

Your opinion and your entitled to it, I don't agree though. :D

I'm only 32 though :o

lucky you davey

Just thinking of a few of my mates here in sydney

Old fellas,company directors ,looking for the wind in the face,the throb between the legs,struggling to get their leg over anything leave alone the Harley!!!

lucky you davey

Just thinking of a few of my mates here in sydney

Old fellas,company directors ,looking for the wind in the face,the throb between the legs,struggling to get their leg over anything leave alone the Harley!!!

Agreed though :D Pattaya certainley has its share of those guys. :D

This is why I love living in Isaan you dont have to put up with wining falang bull shit. Both my bikes are loud and no one complains. The head copper even told me I could ride my CR 250 any where I wanted dirt and road just slow it down when in the villige. What can I say bangkok sux.  :D

Did you get yours imported or buy here in Thailand?

I have a souped up 1998 Honda CR 250 R myself (I bet I can beat stock 600 cc crotch rockets with it in a drag race). It's F*in' loud as ###### too but, it's in California right now :o

How much did you pay for you import tax if you did in fact import it?

Is it easy to get your 2-cycle racing oil to mix with your gas?

:o

Do you thinkanything will change that is Bangkok

what about the rest of the country ??????????

Just like the crackdown on noise, nothing will happen in the rest of the country :D

I personally don't know the history of economy here in Thailand in fast years but most of my thai friends agreed that Thai economy at present is better than the previous years. I am not talking about the capital city but Thailand economy as whole. Did anybody remember when the dollar rate climed up to 55 baht in 1995 (if i am not mistaken) did anyone knows the status of Thailand economy those days with ex Prime Minister Ch*v*lit? :D.

The goverment are doing their job to improve Thailand even slowly better than nothing. :D

The big bike (900cc) is coming and they can suck an egg as far as the sound goes as it's totally stock and registered here in Thailand and has been for years. Hard to get that much power out of something poing putt putt.

A straight-from-the-factory unmodified Harley has a potato-potato sound that registers 80 decibels, according to Piehl. To put that in perspective, consider that:

A food processor grating a carrot is 80 decibels

An electric lawn mower is 81 decibels

A vacuum cleaner on a bare floor is 82 decibels

Truck traffic is 90 decibels

A gas-powered chain saw is 106 decibels This is according to a decibel chart provided by Edward W. Korabic, chairman of the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology at Marquette University.

This is of course a standard unmodified bike, changing pipes can increase or decrease this reading.

It's ok Dave.........the bike is safe !! :o:D

My bikes <deleted> loud and i ain't changing it. :o

Nor do I want to change mine. Mines loud but not obnoxiously loud. If Thai motorists can't see me on the road because they're too busy yapping on the phone or looking at their dashboard tv or GPS, then I sure as heck want them to hear me.

Loud pipes don't just save the lives of the owners but other road users and pedestrians as well.

And there was me thinking of making my quiet-as-a-whisper Honda Transalp louder so Thai kids no longer run into my path. Never had anyone run out in front of me on the Harley.

So I apologise in advance to any kid that I run over causing a loss of life or limb because you didn't hear me, but your government that doesn't teach you to be spacialy aware wants to protect your hearing. The hearing that you're already losing due to loud stereos, tv, arcade games, tannoy systems of mobile food vendors and your government's election canvassers etc, etc.

What i'm saying is- Harley's even with standard exhausts are naturally loud so its unfair for them to be fined
Ban the Harleys first!

Hang on a minute. Does anyone know the difference (if there is one) between the pitch of the sound and the vlome level (decibel level). What I am trying to say is that I don't find Harley's irritating as they have a deep sound. On the other hand some of these so called motorcycles on the streets have a very high ear piercing sound.

Surely high pitched sounds such as whistles, tannoys and these modified motorbikes are more damaging to the ears than a loud but deep sounding Harley.