Thai Passport For My Son Born In Uk

Appologies if this post is in the wrong section.

I am a UK citizen. My wife is Thai, living in the UK on a 2yr residency visa. My son is 6 months old and was born in the UK and holds a UK birth certificate and UK passport.

Can my son have two passports? If so, can I get it at the Thai Embassy in the UK or only inThailand? Are there any downsides to him havng two passports?

Thanks in advance...

Yes your son can have 2 passports if mother is Thai (I assume so, but you do not specifically say), and it is easier to obtain Thai passport in the UK than in Thailand. The first step, if not already done, is to obtain a "Thai version" of your son's UK birth certificate from the Thai embassy in London. With that you can then apply for his Thai passport. More details can be found on the embassy website but a lot of sections are written in Thai. No disadvantages, but the main advantage of having a Thai passport is that he would be free of Thai immigration requirements on entering Thailand. Entering using UK passport would make subject to the same immigration rules as any other foreigner; visa required unless stay is no more than 30 days and with air ticket out of the country within that time period. With Thai birth certificate and being registered on someone's tabbien bahn (house book) he can later apply for Thai ID card at amphur.

Children need a visa etc of their own, but are not fined for an overstay.

With registering, which is actually notifying, you let the Thai govrnment know that a Thai citizen was born. If you don't register, which you don't have to do, the Thai government will have no official record of the birth of a Thai citizen and will not issue a passport, etc.

Registration is done at the local amphur, for children born outside Thailand it is done according the local laws and you also notify the birth at the local Thai embassy. You cannot do this in Thailand itself.

Not automatically. If he is registered as a resident of Thailand, ie listed in a house registration book, he will get called up for the selection process with a letter sent to the registered address. Born in the UK and living in that country, he can get his Thai passport without getting listed in a house registration book in Thailand.

--

Maestro

My understanding is that your son can only obtain his Thai passport in the country of his birth, i.e. the UK. You apply for his birth certificate and passport at the same time. You have to travel to the Thai embassy in London with your wife and son and it takes about 6 weeks for your son's passport to arrive. It's very straightforward and easy to do.

Brigante7.

Edited by Brigante7

My understanding is that your son can only obtain his Thai passport in the country of his birth, i.e. the UK. You apply for his birth certificate and passport at the same time. You have to travel to the Thai embassy in London with your wife and son and it takes about 6 weeks for your son's passport to arrive. It's very straightforward and easy to do.

Brigante7.

have 2 kids born in Thailand to his parents: me Foreigner,

The mother Thai.

At the hospital(seperate locations) a birthcertificate was issued in Thai.

With that we went to translate it into english and dutch.

Then we had to wait 3 months (in case the child deceases) and went to the Amphoe at the residence.

The name was then entered into the Tabian Baan,houseregister. With all that again translated we all went to the embassy on Silom and a passport was requested.

I had to prove my residency in the foreign country, no problemo.

After 4 weeks a call from the E. that the passport is ready,Cost quit some quids

PLs. be aware of any spelling errors poss. occured during translation,my daughter 's name was misspelled and the hospital name the wrong one.

Had to correct all that.

With the Thai passport 14/12 years age respactively it was another saga.

Here a bit abbreviated text:

True, all papers required,

houseregister,birthcertificate,mothers and fathers iD'S,pix, and we went to Muang Thong Thani to the passport center,it took a while waiting in the que,but inthe afternoon we got a paper saying to wait 2-3 weeks or pay 2000 baht to speed things up.

After 3 weeks ,noticed by letter,passport ready kid(s) to show up sign the PP and Bob was our uncle

Now they

Brigante7.

No, the Thai birth certificate can only be obtained in the country of birth, the passport can be obtained at any embassy or Thai passport office.

Brigante7.

No, the Thai birth certificate can only be obtained in the country of birth, the passport can be obtained at any embassy or Thai passport office.

I stand corrected. Can the birth certificate be obtained by post or does the applicant have to travel to the Thai embassy? I ask because I obtained my son's Thai b/c and passport from the Thai embassy in London and we are planning on going down again next month for my daughters b/c and passport but if we could apply for her b/c by post then get her Thai passport when we next go to Thailnd that would save both time and money, many thanks.

Brigante7.

Brigante7.

I stand corrected. Can the birth certificate be obtained by post or does the applicant have to travel to the Thai embassy? I ask because I obtained my son's Thai b/c and passport from the Thai embassy in London and we are planning on going down again next month for my daughters b/c and passport but if we could apply for her b/c by post then get her Thai passport when we next go to Thailnd that would save both time and money, many thanks.

Brigante7.

While a Thai citizen (of course) can get a passport both in Thailand and at an embassy overseas, it is only possible for an Overseas Born Thai (OBT) to get their FIRST thai passport at the embassy in the country they were are born in.

The reason is that in Thailand, you are required to be on the house registration before the passport office can issue you with a Thai passport. For OBT's, because they don't 'live' in Thailand, there is no way to get on the house registration, and as such, the embassy doesn't require a copy of the house registration.

From(my personal experience) to get on the house registration at the ampur, requires both your embassy issued Thai birth certificate and a copy of your Thai passport showing when you first entered into Thailand to live.

So there is a bit of a catch 22, at least initially. No passport (issued overseas) means no entry into the house registration, means no thai passport issued in Thailand.