Medical Exemptions

:) I am 70 years old and have retirement visa and they are requiring me to go to Bangkok for a new pension paper. The head Doctor at my hospital wrote me a paper that it is dangerous to my life if I travel. I have serious heart and lung disease along with muscle and never disorders. The Head doctor said I will not need a visa as the Immigration police could not force out me out of bed to have a new visa for one year by law. Is this true? I'm Not faking it and my embassy doesn't take mail for the retirement paper. What shall I do? I have been here years and am married and live on the Cambodian border near Alanyaprathert

Hello!

I can see your problem there-and I have a freind in the hospital here in Chiang Rai and he must go to stamp hes visa d.08.04.2010. and I write to the immigration office in Mae sai and by a foult I say that hes visa runs out d.8. and what to do?

They send a message back that I must have hes passport,a photo and a letter from the doctor at the hospital-and then I cut go and fix it fore him.

I wood try this if I was you-maby it will help you.

Good luck!

Brian

Your wife should visit Immigration with the doctors letter and explain the situation. Am sure some arrangement can be found.

:) Aye there is always some arrangement with the Immigration, but this time no money or whisky as I was advised in HG in Bangkok I have been here 20 odd years and first off I thought wonders about Thailand, biut know they want to bring back the demomogue to ruin the place. The Immigration look down on my wife because she is born in Thailand but her mother tongue is Khmer.

Thanks Lopburi for the information as she will go today. but she doesn't take there power trips and has her own power trips to play in the footsy game with there bureaucrates that have bought there positions.

I do not know the answer, but on 2 times doing my "visa dance" in Bangkok I have noticed 2 things, in Chang Wattna next to the 90 day renewal there is a desk/ office for medical conditions visa requirements, I have also seen on another time, people getting a visa for someone sick who can not come to the office, they had letters from the doctor but not the required paper work and the family member was getting very up set as the imm police just dug their heals in. I have no idea about their paper work status, but their is I believe form listening to that some thing that can be done for extensions of some sort.

I know I am being very vague, sorry, but I think you should look into it further for sure.

If you live in Aranyaprethet, surely the renewal has to be done at the local immigration office rather than at Chaengwattana?

Emphysema sucks big time!

You are getting caught in a crossfire. I believe it might be time for you to temporary switch to a medical. Or get your head doctor to talk to the head immigration officer.

What would happen if you go to the immigration office in an ambulance with medics by your side standing in line? I am sure the people and the press will not look kindly at the immigration office. Just make sure that the ambulance has its siren and lights flashing. Make sure that you repeat the name of the immigration officer that told you that you had to come in person.

2.25 In the case of medical treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

Your wife should visit Immigration with the doctors letter and explain the situation. Am sure some arrangement can be found.

:) Aye there is always some arrangement with the Immigration, but this time no money or whisky as I was advised in HG in Bangkok I have been here 20 odd years and first off I thought wonders about Thailand, biut know they want to bring back the demomogue to ruin the place. The Immigration look down on my wife because she is born in Thailand but her mother tongue is Khmer.

Thanks Lopburi for the information as she will go today. but she doesn't take there power trips and has her own power trips to play in the footsy game with there bureaucrates that have bought there positions.

Ron, I sympathize with your medical condition and the problems of age. I'm 60 now, and I know my days are coming, too.

But I wonder if part of the problem is your attitude? "demomogue to ruin the place"...what has that got to do with getting your visa extension?

I can, perhaps, believe the issue with the Cambodian language, but if your wife is playing "her own power trips", well there you go...another attitude problem mixed into the situation.

Exactly which people at immigration do you think have "bought their positions". My spouse is a Thai bureaucrat, and trust me, there was no buying of a position. Perhaps the higher-ups, I don't know about that level, but not the counter people you are likely to encounter.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron, I sympathize with your medical condition and the problems of age. I'm 60 now, and I know my days are coming, too.

But I wonder if part of the problem is your attitude? "demomogue to ruin the place"...what has that got to do with getting your visa extension?

I can, perhaps, believe the issue with the Cambodian language, but if your wife is playing "her own power trips", well there you go...another attitude problem mixed into the situation.

Exactly which people at immigration do you think have "bought their positions". My spouse is a Thai bureaucrat, and trust me, there was no buying of a position. Perhaps the higher-ups, I don't know about that level, but not the counter people you are likely to encounter.

I think maybe you'all a wee bit naive about the thai system

:) now I have a hand written letter from the General of the Metropolitian police in my ampur and two type written pages meaning not sure but it gives my wife rights, and¨a letter from the Head man in my village saying he knowns of my illness. It wil work I am sure with three witnesses. But the General said in the future just come to him and not get a new visa I wonder about a lot. I know him for many years. I write this for other old soldier or veterans about what they can do in the future if confronted with similar situations. Thank you . Salaam Alchiem.