Iphone Questions

A_Traveller

I'm sure one response will be search is your friend, well clearly I've said something to annoy her today because she isn't OK :)

Partner has been 'gifted' an iPhone 32GB 3GS, which as I understand it was bought in Singapore. Unfortunately it came sans charger so I have to go and get one of those first. Don't think it has been used here at all, so questions:-

1. May it be 'locked'? If so how do I tell?

2. If it is locked where can I get it unlocked. Would appreciate direct recommendation, as opposed to the default MBK.

Regards & TIA

Well this is slightly embarrassing for the gifter, it appears to be an iPhone clone, so all my previous questions are somewhat redundant. No WiFi facility upon powering up after getting a charger is somewhat of a giveaway. Really can't see the point of this at all, but not sure what, if anything, to tell the giver, I mean how do you phrase, "How much did you pay for this 3GS iPhone then.... ?" with a straight face.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Well this is slightly embarrassing for the gifter, it appears to be an iPhone clone, so all my previous questions are somewhat redundant. No WiFi facility upon powering up after getting a charger is somewhat of a giveaway. Really can't see the point of this at all, but not sure what, if anything, to tell the giver, I mean how do you phrase, "How much did you pay for this 3GS iPhone then.... ?" with a straight face.

Regards

Well, if it is indeed a fake iPhone, at least you be sure that it isn't locked. But of course the easiest way to find out is it simply put a SIM card in and see if it works.

Yes. It has no WiFi, the screen is not glass, there's only WAP configuration defaulting to Taiwan (maybe), and the UI is single point, not multi, etc. The menu structure doesn't match the user manual I downloaded from Apple either.

I did appreciate the SIM point, but assuming it was real I was hoping for some guidance so as to avoid say a reset download which then relocked the phone, if it had been unlocked outside the factory programme. However, it's running an AIS SIM and partner is playing with it. Should point out apart from reviewing the original, I'm not an iPhone user, or devotee. Have to say until one became suspicious it looked surprisingly genuine, and feels very 'solid'.

Regards