True Speed

drummer

I got True's 750/month deal for DSL, and I'm getting 100.0 MBPS ... that seems pretty darned slow to me - I thought i was getting 512. I can't find the info on their website, though. Anyone know where to look?

How do you know you are getting 100k? It sounds like you have the 512 service and it should connect above that speed if you do. You can check your speed HERE by clicking on Test Speed. If it is near the 512 mark you have the right service. For international links you are not likely to ever get full speed and on a weekend it will be worse than during a weekday. A good speed check is HERE

I find software downloads and web viewing generally fast but downloads from file share or usnet sites to be much slower.

100mbit probably means that he's got the huawei ethernet modem, and he's connected to it with a cross cable. Windows reports the LAN speed, which is 100mbps. Actual speed of the modem remains at 2.5mbit (standard for nearly all home packages), real capped speed remains at 512kbit, actual throughput speed is somewhere between 0-512kbit.

Remember the days of 115k analog modems folks. Don't always believe what the computer reports, it doesn't know any better.

would have goten bck sooner, but I had a slight problem with the True connection .... I've a laptop and I took it toa friends place, only never to use it - when I got it back home it told me I had to reinstall, which I didn't have time for til just now - that worked, but I found it odd why it would need it....

Anyway - thanks for the link - I'm getting 512 :o (well, 505, but close enough for jazz...)