Makro Kanchanaburi

DEREK-C

Had a look at the new Makro today and it appears to be a step up from Nakhon Pathom. English sausages, Gouda cheese, better quality cheddar, paxo stuffing, bisto gravy. The meat section also has good quality beef from Kampeng Sen. It was packed today with the promotions and lots of Thai families taking advantage. Will give it a fuller look, but first impressions look good.

Hi DEREK-C,

Nice post.

Most of the resorts and eateries must be welcoming Makro opening in Kan :D

Did you see the markings on the road just before the entrance, I did yesterday, looks like that bend will take a few more out. :D and with all the new signs up as well, folks should take that blind corner a wee bit slower.

They did a good job of the U-turns just before it opened as well :D

Sawadee :)

Edited by Kan Win

Hi DEREK-C,

Nice post.

Most of the resorts and eateries must be welcoming Makro opening in Kan :D

Did you see the markings on the road just before the entrance, I did yesterday, looks like that bend will take a few more out. :D and with all the new signs up as well, folks should take that blind corner a wee bit slower.

They did a good job of the U-turns just before it opened as well :D

Sawadee :)

Haha thats the first thing I said to my wife when we went there Monday!

They also have a better range of herbs and spices that I have been able to find here. Other items Branston Pickle and Malt vinegar, I also haven;t see them in Kanchanaburi to date.

I found most prices on other lines were slightly higher than Tesco, perhaps thats to pay for the under car security inspection on the way in.

Where abouts in Kanch. is it?

Can anyone give directions?

I know the roads around Kanch, but not had cause to go there any more since I must now do Immigration biz at Nakhon Pathom.

Thanks

On the main 323 between Thamuang and Kanchanaburi. It's on the right hand side coming from Nakon Pathom.....drive past the store and turn at the next break in the dual carriageway.

• 2 weeks later...

Good start but now going all Tesco. Stocks are not being replenished and some fruit (avocados) were there on opening day a month ago, now black & rotten. Let's hope its teething problems not the usual 'mai pen rai'.

Good start but now going all Tesco. Stocks are not being replenished and some fruit (avocados) were there on opening day a month ago, now black & rotten. Let's hope its teething problems not the usual 'mai pen rai'.

Agreed!! Was able to buy courgettes (zucchini) when they first opened. No sign of any when in the store last week. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with MHM about the avacados, but they do keep well if properly looked after. I don't know how they expected to sell the number of boxes they originally stocked. The same goes for most potatoes..left in sunlight too long to go green. I was there again today and the price of cheese has dropped considerably. I also find the freezer section to have the best selection. When I was there today they had a new line in frozen lamb. The Wiltshire bacon is still miising and the sausage selection wasn't so good. The chap on the fresh meat section is very helpful and minced me some beef and did cuts of pork chops for me. He tells me the beef is from Kampang Sen, which is probably the best of the Thai homegrown.

They seem to have done away with the under car checks.

• 4 months later...

Went yesterday and it seems to have slipped further downhill. Most of the potatoes were green, no sausage, only fatty american bacon and a poor cheese selection. Only plus point was the stocking of Rice Krispies. The fresh meat section, with their service, is the only attraction for me now. Looks like the trek to the outskirts of Bangkok for foreign 'goodies' is back on.