Sandwiches: Subway On Major 5-year Expansion

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally like Subway so when I saw the newest outlet near soi 10 Pattaya Beach road I stopped in and had one. Judging the sandwiches on that basis I would have to rename them the great SALAD sandwich. I ordered the Spicy Italian and the three slices of salami were thin enough to see through. The bun and garnishes were good but WHERE'S the MEAT??

I normally like Subway so when I saw the newest outlet near soi 10 Pattaya Beach road I stopped in and had one. Judging the sandwiches on that basis I would have to rename them the great SALAD sandwich. I ordered the Spicy Italian and the three slices of salami were thin enough to see through. The bun and garnishes were good but WHERE'S the MEAT??

Owner must be Scots. :o

Heyy, subway is a lifesaver for my fix of cheese and bread. Couldn't care less if it isnt proper french stuff, I dont want to pay proper french prices either! :o

You must be kidding. I pay less than Subway prices for a good sandwich back home and the taste and quality cannot be compared.

My idea of real good sandwiches are the ones that are being made in family businesses, with their original pastes, salads and ingredients, and they usually cost less than any fast-food stuff.

My idea of real good sandwiches are the ones that are being made in family businesses, with their original pastes, salads and ingredients, and they usually cost less than any fast-food stuff.

now we're talking sandwiches !! :o:D:D

I've got my own snack I came up with - A peice of cheese in between two peices of bread, with butter added to taste.

I've decided to call this Insight's Cheese and Bread Snack.

(Okay, it was originally a Viz Top Tip. Back to Subway 'n the likes...)

Regarding the export of American food products: I feel America has some of the best food in the world, in America. The food and restaurant culture is amazing in the big cosmopolitan cities. You cannot judge American food culture by the corporate cardboard products produced by McDonalds, Subway, and their ilk. BTW, I believe Au Bon Pain is a chain out of Boston, Mass USA (and better than Subway of course) and McDonalds does have a subchain for burritos called Chipotle which is actually excellent, using premium ingredients. Unfortunately, Chipotle has no current plans to go international, too bad.

I agree, I absolutely love Chipotle...too bad they are not going abroad. Tough to get good Mexican food here.

Next thing is you gonna call "Pizza" american food  :o

A piece of useless trivia:-

Actually, the pizza in its present form IS American. I concede that the original idea was Italian.

After world war II, the GIs returning from the Italian campaign created a demand for pizza. The trouble was, was that an Italian pizza was completely topped with cheese, therefore, every pizza, no matter what kind it was, looked exactly the same and did not look as apetizing.

The genius of the Americans was to put the ingredients on TOP of the cheese so that you could see what type of pizza you were eating. This style has caught on all over the world, until it is now considered the norm.

Eeeuh the cheese still goes on top over here , and also in italy. the only diffenrence is that the big crust at the bottom is not from italian origin :D

italian pizza's have a slim hard crust with medium helping of topping. Not the pizza hut style "half of a pie with everything trown on"

The genius of the Americans was to put the ingredients on TOP of the cheese
That's what i mean with american ignorance with food. The italians spent two to three hundred years perfecting their enormous range of pizza toppings.

Along comes ignorant john Doe from Pizzahut inc. and decides this is much more conveniant. let's do it this way...

Talk about raping food recipes :D

The sandwich - the only British food inven

tion that has caught on around the world.

True , but it's 2/4 loafs of bread with something in between cut in a triangle shape.

The subs talked about here are decendant from a french loaf of bread , cut in half and then put lettuce, tomato and xxx in between.

This is silly. Most people I know in the US HATE Pizza hut....and usually go to a Pizza shop with a local owner....there are hundreds in every city. There are hundreds of varieties of Pizza in the US, including authentic Italin style. I have travelled extensively, and I must agree, for selection the US has most everywhere beat.

:o

I make my own sandwiches.

Stuff everything I can in between two soft things and add some gooeey stuff.

When in China I called it Chinese food.

Here I call it Thai food.

But I grew up near the US so that might make it US food.

Though my roots are somewhat UK, so maybe UK food.

Possibly even indigenous.

However, if it ever ends up in a fast food franchise it will definitely acquire the generic qualities of a US food corp.

:D

I had never eaten a subway sandwich prior to doing so in Thailand. I really don't what all the fuss is about. I guess most of the positive posts are from homesick yanks, because for the rest of us they are sh1t.

If a subway sandwich in Thailand is the same as a subway sandwich in the US, then I can't understand how they have become so popular worlwide. Give me a good old fashioned British sandwich made from a freshly cut loaf of bread, stuffed with English Cheddar and pickle ANYDAY.

I had never eaten a subway sandwich prior to doing so in Thailand. I really don't what all the fuss is about. I guess most of the positive posts are from homesick yanks, because for the rest of us they are sh1t.

If a subway sandwich in Thailand is the same as a subway sandwich in the US, then I can't understand how they have become so popular worlwide. Give me a good old fashioned British sandwich made from a freshly cut loaf of bread, stuffed with English Cheddar and pickle ANYDAY.

I agree.

I have eaten Subway many a time in Thailand and I even collect the stamps so I can get a free one when the card is full, but I found I soon got bored of that mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced mass produced taste.

They also make me wretch unless I have condidtioned my stomach and prepared myself prior to a visit.

The Subways in NZ are just fantastic, but I 'spose thats down to the um bread and um..ingrediants. :o

You must be kidding. I pay less than Subway prices for a good sandwich back home and the taste and quality cannot be compared.

Depends where home is for you..decent sandwhiches in my part of the world cost me a good hour of work, whereas subway is roughly half that. But then, im just a poor student. :o

If you come from the UK - I'll agree Subway is nothing special (possibly why they never took off in the UK).

However, this is not the UK. There are no M&S sandwiches, or Pret a Manger's here. Neither are there any corner sandwich shops. On that basis, Subway expanding here is better than nothing... The other option is to make them yourself, but you have to travel almost as far to get decent loaf as to get a subway. (Some Carrefour's have decent bread, but for some reason, not all of them do...)

As for the homemade cheese and pickle sandwich - I'd love a cheese & pickle sandwich, but can I find Branston pickle here?

If you come from the UK - I'll agree Subway is nothing special (possibly why they never took off in the UK).

However, this is not the UK. There are no M&S sandwiches, or Pret a Manger's here. Neither are there any corner sandwich shops.

So... it seems like the market is ready... for a new big player in the sandwich business.. :o

However, this is not the UK. There are no M&S sandwiches, or Pret a Manger's here. Neither are there any corner sandwich shops.

So... it seems like the market is ready... for a new big player in the sandwich business.. :o

O'Briens have already opened up in Urban Kitchan at the Hyatt Erewan. I know I prefer them to subway and I suspect further expansion will happen.

As for the homemade cheese and pickle sandwich - I'd love a cheese & pickle sandwich, but can I find Branston pickle here?

Yes you can.

Villa Supermarket certainly stock it and I believe elsewhere

Yes there is a niche for a good sandwich shop in LOS. A sandwich makes a pleasant change from Thai food - simple and satisfying.

I have enjoyed subway in the US but my one attempt here in Bangkok was disappointing. I prefer Au Bon Pain.

Each to their own.

Overall I would rather see a Pret a Manger open up over here but who is to know whether it would taste the same.

At the end of the day it is doen to the bread and the ingredients

Tried the one near the Villa the other night and am happy to report that is was absolutely....DISGUSTING. :D

Took it back to the counter and informed them and got a rather confused smile........TIT :o .......never again :D

Each to their own (UK). To each their own (USA).

Many of you sound like most Thai's - as if food were one of the very most important things in life. I eat to live; I don't eat to live.

Subway sandwiches are fine for me. The pizza chains here (like Pizza Company) aren't half as good as the ones in the USA. I don't share Taxexile's opinion about the service in Subway. I was in Atlanta where an Hispanic woman was doing her best to serve a really arrogant Anglo customer, who even insulted her race and nationality. After he walked out in a big tiff and I told her in Spanish, "Good afternoon, ma'm. That man is so arrogant! It's a pity that some people cannot be happy." She gave me great service.

Two weeks later, my Chinese-American friend and I were in some hick town in the Smoky Mountains, hillbillies running a Subway Sandwich shop. Great service, good taste.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

However, this is not the UK. There are no M&S sandwiches, or Pret a Manger's here. Neither are there any corner sandwich shops. On that basis, Subway expanding here is better than nothing... The other option is to make them yourself, but you have to travel almost as far to get decent loaf as to get a subway. (Some Carrefour's have decent bread, but for some reason, not all of them do...)

Wrong...actually there is a branch ov Subway in London Hammersmith, I don't know how long they opened but surely the chain will grow fast here

Wrong...actually there is a branch ov Subway in London Hammersmith, I don't know how long they opened but surely the chain will grow fast here

I didn't say they aren't in the UK - just that they never took off.

Subway's been in the UK for years. - I remember one on Oxford Street near Tottenham Court Road station from about 6 years ago. It has since disappeared.

Compare the number of Subways in London with the number of Pret a Manger's and you'll see why I said they didn't take off...

Edited by bkk_mike

Subway is the best Sandwich in Thailand!!!

Quality meats and fresh baked bread-Yummy

And one of the very few healthy Places to eat in the Kingdom

Big Mac- 50 grams of fat

Subway Sandwich- 6 grams of fat

Enjoy your Big Macs but dont forget those fries with that shake :o

Hello,

the other Subway in Pattaya is located on the beach road between Soi 10 and Soi 11. They deliver and share the location with a Coffee World. Open 'till 03:00 for after play munchies. Big parking lot and accesable from Second Road. Nice patio for viewing the Sunset activities. I'll be back,

Soidog

Compare the number of Subways in London with the number of Pret a Manger's and you'll see why I said they didn't take off...

The fact is you'll find three times more Subway shops than Prets so it does seem Subway has done well in the UK.

Pret : "There are about 150 Pret shops at the moment."

http://www.pret.com/about

Subway: UNITED KINGDOM 446 Stores

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Applicati...untryCount.aspx

Subway is not for everyone but it certainly is for me. I don't just like the taste, I love it and it’s made fresh right there in front of you. Based on the results from the three Subway stores that my wife operates in Thailand, the comments I hear everyday and the fact that we serve on average over 5,000 people every week, many people obviously must feel the same. Aroy Mak

Greg Lange

Managing Director

Sunbelt Asia Co., Ltd