Plasma V Lcd V Crtv V Projection Tv's

Bilko

I need to buy a new Tv soon, I have looked at the 42 inch Plasma sets, but I feel they're just too expensive at present day prices, I have seen a 34 Inch Sony Trinitron in Bangkok for 39,000 baht , that's less than a third of the price of the Plasmas, and there is no way a casual thief would walk out of your house with one of these Monsters, the weight is too much, 78Kgs. :o

Then there are Projection TV's, I have seen some very tempting deals on these TV's, anybody had any experience with Projection TV's?

Personally, I think the Sony Trinitron 34" at 39,000 is a great TV set, probably give years of trouble free service, I have no experience of Plasma or LCD so I cannot comment.

Has anybody got a Plasma set and been a little disappointed?

I have a Large living room so the bulk of the set would not pose any problems.

Views and comments please, thanks lads. :D

Edited by Bilko

i project with a single beamer straight on to a white wall.

Best quality , lowest price , biggest screen possible

I bought a sharp bg10 projector for 650€ home delivered.

attached an old pc to it.

Bought an ATI all in wonder 9800 tv card for 200€

attached a creative 5.1 set of speakers

900€ in all (kabels ect)

3 meter diagonal

Full dolby

dvd's straight from the net on to the HD's

Mpeg video capture (video for recording)

Surfing the net

playing games (try a race game on that screen :o )

Looking at pictures

Just awesome.

Despite what anyone will tell you in a tv dealership you will get the BEST picture from a good old fashioned tube tv, Plasma's ok and LCD is great for smaller screens (i have both a plasma 42" and a lcd) depends on how big a screen you want since you wont get anything bigger than a 34" screen on a crt tv. If you want bigger go for a plasma but your best picture will be with the sony 34" and it will cost you a lot less! Back projection tvs are pretty naff on picture quality would not recomend. The projector idea isa good one if you want a really big picture and can make your room fairly dark

Hope that all helps!!

Have pretty much the same set-up as Darknight...

Only gripe I have is when the afternoon Thai sun beams down on the windows, the ambient light in the living room gets to much, even with the curtains closed...

My projector is only 1500 Lumens, which is sparkling brilliant in the evening / night, but useless in the daytime.

Guess when you want to use it in the daytime at least 2000 Lumens is needed...

Not really a problem for me as I have a regular 29" tv set for use in the daytime (not often anyway), the projector gets used for watching movies, or that "Need for Speed Underground" racing session :o

Great fun combined with my Saitek wireless gamepad

Price / screensize is just unbeatable with a projector, even a very fancy 2000 Lumens - 1024/768 resloution projector will still cost less then 100.000 Baht (2500US$)

Despite what anyone will tell you in a tv dealership you will get the BEST picture from a good old fashioned tube tv, Plasma's ok and LCD is great for smaller screens (i have both a plasma 42" and a lcd) depends on how big a screen you want since you wont get anything bigger than a 34" screen on a crt tv. If you want bigger go for a plasma but your best picture will be with the sony 34" and it will cost you a lot less! Back projection tvs are pretty naff on picture quality would not recomend. The projector idea isa good one if you want a really big picture and can make your room fairly dark

Hope that all helps!!

Thanks for the comments, I must admit I have a leaning towards the Sony 34", I used to have a 29 Inch trintron and the picture was really great, and the set had terrific sound also, plus the opportunist thief would need a huge set of muscles to get a 78Kg tV set out the window!

And as you say, the cost is much much lower than the Plasma or LCD sets, and I guess the crt TV's are tried and tested with many many years of developement behind them. :o

Hope that all helps!!

Could'nt agree more with daveb1's comment, plus who wants all the bother of rigging up and falling over wires, that tv will have lovely cinema sound anyway :o

Interesting that 2 people on this thread are using HTPC's...

Do either of you visit AVS (I mod the HTPC section there)...

My setup includes regular TV for the GF to watch daytime soaps but a HD2+ DLP projector for the main viewing..

Price / screensize is just unbeatable with a projector, even a very fancy 2000 Lumens - 1024/768 resloution projector will still cost less then 100.000 Baht (2500US$)

I have a 29" Sony Trinitron DRC 1250 which has an amazing picture, and a set of the original KEF 'Egg' Home Theatre Speakers - which together provide a great viewing experience - as the salesman would say!!!

However, despite being more than happy with this setup, I am still tempted with the idea of going down the projector route. Boys & Toys I guess :o

My plan would be to keep the 29" TV in place for general viewing, but have the option of pulling down the projector screen in front of it for movies and sporting events.

I have checked various websites, and am trying to establish the best all-round projector. One of my main worries is the sound of the projector fan being too much of a distraction. How have you guys found the noise? Is it an issue these days?

A simple breakdown of options:

CRT:

Pros: Great color, great brightness, cheapest, solid

Cons: Heavy, large, screen size typically not more than 34"

LCD:

Pros: Sharp, light, thin, energy efficient

Cons: Relatively short life (because of backlight), faded colors, limited viewing angle, ghosting, expensive, typically no larger than 30"

Plasma:

Pros: Very large screen, thin, light, energy efficient, fairly good color

Cons: Expensive, no small sizes, limited resolution, limited color reproduction

Projection TV:

Pros: Large screen, low price

Cons: Very limited viewing angle, washed out colors, focus problems, fragile screen, dim

Projector:

Pros: Adjustable size, portable, low price

Cons: Requires a good screen (for optimum image), can't be used in bright light, noisy fan, rainbow effect in DLPs, limited bulb life (expensive!), positioning can be a problem

For me, I've always lusted after the Philips TVs (andplasma TVs) with DNM... they just make the characters jump out of the screen.

This thread interests me because I have been considering upgrading my TV also for a long time, and seriously considered a projector since the plasma TV's are so expensive.

Can the guys out htere with projectors give some info about bulb life- how many hours / months etc on average, and the cost of replacing them? This is the aspect that keeps putting me off of getting one!

Much appreciated............

This thread interests me because I have been considering upgrading my TV also for a long time, and seriously considered a projector since the plasma TV's are so expensive.

Can the guys out htere with projectors give some info about bulb life- how many hours / months etc on average, and the cost of replacing them? This is the aspect that keeps putting me off of getting one!

Much appreciated............

Bulb life should be between 2000 and 4000 hours. My bulb after 200 hours is now running at 97% efficiency (started at 100%)

The bulb for my projector costs about half new price (+-/ 250€)

so on an average of 4 hours viewing per night (19.00 to 23.00) that should give me 500 running days for the 2000 hours. So change of bulb would be estimated between 1.5 years and 3 years.

I have a small tv on the side for daytime running or background noise.

i use this beamer best price/quality especially if you buy them in germany.

http://www.guenstiger.de/gt/main.asp?produkt=321929

i use no special screen on the wall, the wall is even painted in a light gray. no problems with that. ambient light in the daytime can be a problem but i just watched roland garros tennis yesterday at noon so it's pretty doable with the curtains closed.

The best thing as it is an old pIII pc it has become a multimedia center. not just a tv.

the projector gets used for watching movies, or that "Need for Speed Underground" racing session 

The need for speed is to dark in it's picture.

Try DTM Race Driver 2 :o ... now that's real.

i teach my wife how to drive a car with it... really :D

Price on LDC tv's are expected to drop about 50% in the next year or so, as several large manufacturing facilities in Korea (joint Sony-Samsung venture)and China come online. Industry rumor has it, the price for a 40 inch LCD tv will drop to under $1,000 (US)..........but...read on........

How about a "Organic-Light-Emitting-Diode" screen.........What you say? :D

An OLED emits its own light, therefore requires no"backlight", as do conventional LCD's. OLED's can be applied directly to thin pieces of glass or plastic in layers. (Somewhat like silkscreening is used to print a picture on fabric or solid materials, like glass.)

The advantages of OLED are:

. Thinner and lighter screens

. Refreshes 1000 times faster than LCD's

. Sharper picture

. Same brightness level regardless of viewing angle

. Very low power consumption and heat

. Easier and cheaper to manufacture

Instead of a wall sized picture using a LDC projector, just "wallpaper" the wall with OLED material and you'll enjoy the same bright pictures in daylight or darkness.

What's it look like?.............

OLED.jpg

The largest todate appears to be this 40 inch Samsung prototype. (Note picture brightness, color and clarity in this actual angled photo.)

When/where can you buy one?........Well.......not quite yet. At least not in TV format. (There are one or two cell phone screens coming soon, which do use this new technology.)

8" - 17" OLED tv's are expected to be available in stores late 2006 or early 2007.

Price:....... :o

cheers :D

Edited by waldwolf

... I have seen a 34 Inch Sony Trinitron in Bangkok for 39,000 baht

Sounds good to me.... which shop Bilko?

I've got a 29" Sony Trinitron now but want a bigger one... the old one can relocate to the bedroom.

... I have seen a 34 Inch Sony Trinitron in Bangkok for 39,000 baht

Sounds good to me.... which shop Bilko?

I've got a 29" Sony Trinitron now but want a bigger one... the old one can relocate to the bedroom.

http://www.sinsiamelectronics.com/tv29up.html

That's the website, in fact I think the price will be lower than 39,000, I will also go for the Sony. :o

While we are on this thread does anyone know a good place in Pataya or if not Bangkok where i can get a good priced electric projector screen and are there any on line shops in Thailand where i can check out prices on TV's screens etc

Thanks

While we are on this thread does anyone know a good place in Pataya or if not Bangkok where i can get a good priced electric projector screen and are there any on line shops in Thailand where i can check out prices on TV's screens etc

Thanks

Dave click on that website link I gave to Jai Dee, they have lots of Projectors.

Thanks

Dave click on that website link I gave to Jai Dee, they have lots of Projectors.

I forgot to thank you for that Bilko... cheers mate. :o

That's the website, in fact I think the price will be lower than 39,000, I will also go for the Sony.  :o

The prices on that site do seem high when compared with prices in Hong Kong. I just bought a 32in. Hitachi LCD model at 30% less than the price listed there.

Thanks

Thanks mate tried it but they dont seem to have any projector screens

Two weeks ago I would have said anything EXCEPT a projection TV. A friend of mine bought a new projection TV for his bar in Pattaya. I saw it projecting on a painted off white wall during the daytime and the picture was awesome. He said he saved about two thirds of what he planned to spend. If you are near Pattaya and would like to take a look the bar is called the Lock and Load and is off Soi Buakao in a new area being developed for beer bars. (New Plaza ??)

I e-mailed that website about the 34" Sony TV, Special price is,

Cash price = 37,900 baht including VAT.

Credit card = 2% more.

After all the comments, I think the Sony will be the one for me. :o