Thai Authorities Shut Down Red-Shirts Protesters Tv Station

webfact

Since the reds are always justifying everything on the basis of "double standards", this story just popped up and I found it ironic.

The Chiang Mai court today sentenced five men to prison for the murder of the father of a key PAD member in November, 2008. The five were among about 200 members of the Rak Chiang Mai 51 red group that surrounded PADs Wihok Radio community radio station, forcing it to close. One of the five convicted murders, Niyom Lueangcharoen, the chief guard of Chiang Mai 51, addressed the red shirts yesterday at Ratchaprasong.

So here we have a convicted murderer on the red shirt stage who participated in shutting down a community radio station because it didn't subscribe to their political views. I wonder if he is helping spearhead the peaceful red shirts at Thaicom today? Imagine people like this gaining power in the government here in Thailand.

What does a convicted murderer fugitive have to lose today by becoming violent or encouraging others to do so?

Edited by lannarebirth

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the irony of the Democrats and Army making a big deal of protecting the Thaicom sites from the Reds and their evil leader Thaksin.

( Thaicom was formerly known as Shin Satellite and still is a subsidiary of Shin Corp. )

Since the reds are always justifying everything on the basis of "double standards", this story just popped up and I found it ironic.

The Chiang Mai court today sentenced five men to prison for the murder of the father of a key PAD member in November, 2008. The five were among about 200 members of the Rak Chiang Mai 51 red group that surrounded PADs Wihok Radio community radio station, forcing it to close. One of the five convicted murders, Niyom Lueangcharoen, the chief guard of Chiang Mai 51, addressed the red shirts yesterday at Ratchaprasong.

So here we have a convicted murderer on the red shirt stage who participated in shutting down a community radio station because it didn't subscribe to their political views. I wonder if he is helping spearhead the peaceful red shirts at Thaicom today? Imagine people like this gaining power in the government here in Thailand.

Interesting that apparently he was granted bail while facing murder charges.

Now that he's been convicted of murder, hopefully he won't be granted bail again while he appeals (which has happened).

What does a convicted murderer fugitive have to lose today by becoming violent or encouraging others to do so?

He might not be granted bail while he appeals the murder conviction.

{facetiously written}

Perhaps by representing his fellow red shirts on stage and setting an example of murder and forceful shutdown of media that don't agree with them, he is an example of what things might be in store if he and his party succeed? Remember, the red shirt leaders granted him a speaking engagement on their stage at Ratchaprasong yesterday.

Jesus! rainman, you never heard of a Por Bor Tor 5, Sor Kor 1, Sor Tor Kor, (amongst others) title? How long you been here?

I don't think he lives here anymore, since after he and his Mrs married it was mentioned they moved back to AU.

He used to have a picture [supposedly] them as an avatar until he started getting too polarized and owned too much in the news forum.

{facetiously written}

Thanks for the parenthetical clarification because one never can be quite sure what is allowable in this surrealistic appelate system.

Ofcourse it is unfortunate, and a strategic mistake I think, to shut down any TV Station.

If nothing else it will just lead to the 'Streisand effect'.

I just hope that all 'pro red shirt democracy lovers' here scream as loud if Thaksin comes back and does the same thing, or that your were protesting when he took over and slaughtered a network during his reign of power...

Ofcourse it is unfortunate, and a strategic mistake I think, to shut down any TV Station.

I just hope that all 'pro red shirt democracy lovers' here scream as loud if Thaksin comes back and does the same thing, or that your were protesting when he took over and slaughtered a network during his reign of power...

People around where the reds are demonstrating at the Thaicom sites are smiling and cheering and giving them iced water.

Good.

As I said earlier, when the government shut down PTV they really upset many neutral Thai's,

That was a step too far and now they have turned even more people against Abhisit/Suthep and the other, is Junta the word ? or perhaps "coalition government members" ?

A very big mistake by the government there, massive massive mistake and against the constitution it seems, the PTP members will go to town on that one when this is all over, however its likely the "double standards" Kangeroo meetings will find the Democrats "immune" again.

People around where the reds are demonstrating at the Thaicom sites are smiling and cheering and giving them iced water.

Good.

As I said earlier, when the government shut down PTV they really upset many neutral Thai's,

That was a step too far and now they have turned even more people against Abhisit/Suthep and the other, is Junta the word ? or perhaps "coalition government members" ?

A very big mistake by the government there, massive massive mistake and against the constitution it seems, the PTP members will go to town on that one when this is all over, however its likely the "double standards" Kangeroo meetings will find the Democrats "immune" again.

LOL --- you really are a one trick pony aren't you?

The SoE certainly made shutting down the People TV arm of the Reds quite legal. Your suggestion that shutting down People TV bothered any neutral Thai people is solely an opinion and not backed up by any facts.

People where I live (in theory a bastion of Thaksin and the Reds) aren't upset, but several say they miss being able to watch the rallies on live TV (but those are a bloodthirsty lot that seem to want to watch the crackdown happen on live tv!)

Since PTV is an instrument used to issue propaganda and incite unrest it is better to have it off the air. Moderate reds should have a few minutes to think for themselves without someone on a loudspeaker blaring at them. Maybe then they'd decide that Songkran is nicer up country rather than in a prison cell in Bangkok.

Different government and different circumstances.

about ASTV and the past -- ASTV did have unequaled access to the PAD rally but they didn't make the news, they reported it. They didn't run the sms thing on the bottom of the screen, they didn't run a banner telling people where to go and what to do.

about ASTV in the present-- They are reporting the news (with a pronounced editorial slant) and not making the news.

again --- trying to hold this government to the failures of a former government just doesn't make sense.

Well it makes a lot of sense to me.The PAD under its quasi-fascist leadership,with its crude racism, its thuggery and contempt for democracy set a shocking example.The reds have on the whole behaved much better and without the PAD's nauseating arrogance.The ASTV was a yellow propaganda channel spewing out lies.Now you say all this can be forgotten and has no relevance to current events.I don't think the Red movement has forgotten or overlooked the elite support for PAD, including members of the current government.OK to some extent events have moved on but the yellows began the process of Thai political street activism.They sowed the whirlwind and all the signs are they will reap the hurricane.The tragedy or farce here is that the elite has been undermined - perhaps fatally - by its own stupidity.It didn't have to turn out this way and while Abhisit is doing his best, national reconciliation should have been introduced some time ago.And yes that means both sides negotiating and accepting the "unacceptable".

Jayboy --- again you are using the past government's failures as a measuring stick for what the current government should do. Sadly the past government was a Red government that couldn't find it's butt with both hands. ASTV didn't tell lies --- they let the people on stage tell lies. People TV added lies to the bottom of the screen. One is biased reporting and the other is making the news.

I have heard plenty of nasty racist remarks from the reds (and the red farang on this board) about Sino-Thai elites etc ... not to mention the non-defined word "elite" tossed around just to mean Thai Chinese. Plenty of racism visible there ..

So please share with the rest of us .... what does "elite" mean and then explain to me how Thaksin doesn't fit your definition.

{facetiously written}

Thanks for the parenthetical clarification because one never can be quite sure what is allowable in this surrealistic appelate system.

Actually, that aspect IS allowed. The famous former mayor (godfather) of Bang Saen was convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to 25 years in prison. He was still granted bail while he appealed the conviction. Unsurprisingly, he failed to show up for the follow-up court date and has not been seen since.

The "facetious" bit was only written to show I didn't really agree with the possibility.

Edited by bacchanal

Well this is just un <deleted> believable. On the TV, the soldiers who had a narrow easy road to hold, just moved backwards and allowed the protestors to push through. Why the Army and police have even bothered to deploy is beyond me, they are a waste of Oxygen. This country will never ever get on its feet until they findleaders, including military ones with an ounce of moral courage. I despair!

Well this is just un <deleted> believable. On the TV, the soldiers who had a narrow easy road to hold, just moved backwards and allowed the protestors to push through. Why the Army and police have even bothered to deploy is beyond me, they are a waste of Oxygen. This country will never ever get on its feet until they findleaders, including military ones with an ounce of moral courage. I despair!

From what I saw, it's fairly clear that many of the troops disobeyed orders and were sympathetic to the red shirts.

Unbelievably, the video is now of army troops retreating across the field AWAY from Thaicom. Remember Monty Python? Run away! Run away!

It still appears that the reds are massed against the outside of the building and haven't gotten inside yet. I'm wondering if Truevisions satellite service will be gone once they do.